Weird! Help/Advise! Please!

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I was just in the pasture and 10 day old heifer ran up beside the UTV to nurse her mamma. After nursing for bout 30 seconds she raised her tail started to pee for several seconds from under her tail then it slowed to a dribble then stopped and she continued to pee and finished up from her navel like a bull/steer would! What the heck??? I've never seen this before!!! Could this be caused from some kind of infection? Her navel looks maybe slightly large. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks B&G

M-5 said:
I Think you should catch said calf and verify . a slow stream running down between the legs and dribbling off of navel sheath would be my assumption .[/quote

I'm fairly sure that's not the case as she was only a few feet from me and I watched it and stop and start again a couple times.

Patent urachus.
Have never seen one in the flesh, but sounds like what you've described.

M-5":32483kzb said:
I Think you should catch said calf and verify . a slow stream running down between the legs and dribbling off of navel sheath would be my assumption .

I've missexed ( maybe not a word) a new calf by watching it pizz from a distance. Later realizing it was a Heifer when I knew dam well I seen it pizz like a bull.
5 ,s diagnosis was my first thought. Sounds like you've taken a pretty good look though.

I had a filly with it, and it sealed itself. Seen calves with a moist naval, and wouldn't have known what it was, if it wasn't for experience with it in a horse. Btw. The moist naval may not be that, it just always reminds me of it.

Lucky_P":3g1b0mik said:
Patent urachus.
Have never seen one in the flesh, but sounds like what you've described.

Learned something today. Thanks LuckyP. Sorry it was at your expense Black&Good.

Bigfoot":2rkte5p6 said:
I had a filly with it, and it sealed itself. Seen calves with a moist naval, and wouldn't have known what it was, if it wasn't for experience with it in a horse. Btw. The moist naval may not be that, it just always reminds me of it.

Bigfoot, Would you suggest dry lot, Iodine, Penicillin, Dex? B&G

Sorry, I wish I could help. They put this one on a sulfa drug. It was, and still is the only case of it that I have ever seen. It must be either pretty rare, or goes unnoticed.

It's a condition that's more common in foals than in calves... but I never worked on many horses - thank goodness my wife preferred them.
And, like I said, I've never actually seen one in the flesh.
Some of them will close up on their own, some will close with some chemical cautery, some require surgical intervention.

Had something similar a week or so ago.
While the vet was out doing some semen tests last week we had him look at a calf. Calf was 'bloated' up the night before, Gave him a dose of mineral oil in case he was constipated or something and some scour pills as he did have kind of a dirty butt. He was still kind of round the next day but not near as bad. But when he moved you could hear fluid sloshing around in his belly. And he was peeing constantly, especially if you pressed on his stomach, it would just dribble out. The vet took a look at him and this Patent urachus is what he thought it was. He said it was fluid in the body cavity rather than in the stomach or intestine. Said we could bring him in and they would ultrasound him to make sure the diagnosis was correct and if it was they could operate and repair it. Would probably cost $500 he said. The calf never seemed sick or in any discomfort so we opted to wait & see for that price... Been a week or more and you wouldn't know anything was wrong. He's maybe still a bit rounder in the belly area than he should be, but not bad. I guess he could still just up & croak but so far so good.

Hopefully yours corrects itself! Or if it was me & I might catch her and take her temp and check the navel just to be sure there isn't more going on?

Latest posts