Ant control

Help Support CattleToday:

back in about 1988 the river near our house was flooding, we took the horses down (too wet for anything else) to the back pasture to move the cows up. The bulls favorite cow wouldn't leave so he wouldn't leave and the lead cow wouldn't leave him so no one was going anywhere. We finally found the first cows calf, born on a fireant mound. It wasn't dead yet and she wouldn't leave it. I ended up having to carry that calf back in front of me on my saddle. I was sooo sick from all the bites and my mare's withers were swollen and tender for weeks. There were ants INSIDE the calf. We shot it as soon as we got back to the barn. I hate those things and my oldest daughter is allergic to them. 3 bites put her in the hospital with a fever of 108. For some reason for the last few years we haven't had many of them around here. (I'm not complaining!) We have had an increase in the big red and black ants and we have even found some horned toads! They like the pelleted feed I use for my horses. I caught one and it was HUGE, Almost twice the size as the ones I used to catch as a kid. I guess the 14% feed he was eating did him some good.

Latest posts