Fly control backrubber

Help Support CattleToday:

Nicklausjames

Reaction score
Thx to everyone for the help so far. I purchased a backrubber with the tied on torn clothes for face flies. I was wondering what chemical you all would recomend putting on it. I have some permethrin in the barn I can dilute but not sure that's right? Also internet said to rotate chems bc flies build a tolerance. Likewise said to mix w diesel fuel or mineral oil. I'm not really sure what that is about? what is best way to apply to backrubber? I was thinking of mixing in a garbage can and dunking back rubber but I also saw pics of people pouring it on? Last question, are the feed mixed with igr to prevent larvae growth in crap worth it? If yes, what product would you recommend?

We mix Permectrin II with diesel. We use a different type of fly mop so don;t know the best way to apply it. Igr is well worth it, but you have to start before the flies get going for it to really have much affect. We use vigortone

Just so we are clear. My back rubber is one of the cheap ones from tractor supply that is basically a big sponge. It's not one w. A receptacle liquid is poured in

What is the purpose of the diesel fuel? What kind of mix is it? Do you apply 2 gallons total? The backrubber I got is 10 ft

Nicklausjames":1u7wk5px said:
What is the purpose of the diesel fuel? What kind of mix is it? Do you apply 2 gallons total? The backrubber I got is 10 ft

I follow the mixing ratio on the bottle. I mix 2.5 gallons at time. Once a week I put a 1/2 gallon on it.

One way to apply the mixture is with a hand held sprayer,I like to use one specific for that job since the dyes diesel stains the plastic and you can't see the levels for other mixing. pump it lightly and remove spray nozzle to get a smooth 1/4" flow.

Rotate products by chemical not just brand.Year to year.If you do every time you may run into resistance problems like people have done with fly tags.Label should give you mixing directions.A PH White rub will have a tag with instructions for differant brsnds

JW IN VA":28ac47hb said:
One way to apply the mixture is with a hand held sprayer,I like to use one specific for that job since the dyes diesel stains the plastic and you can't see the levels for other mixing. pump it lightly and remove spray nozzle to get a smooth 1/4" flow.
That's how I do it. Mix 2.5 gallons of diesel with 6 ounces of prolate lintox. Put it on until it drips.

Ok so permectrin is only permethrin. I'm going to mix up a 2 gallon 10% permethrin. Than what is the ratio of diesel or mineral oil to add here? Also is there a reason you use diesel over mineral?

Finally than you just leave the rubber out and put more chems on it every week? What if it rains to I bring the rubber in or just leave it?

In my area mineral oil is like $15 a gallon. Diesel is under $2 a gallon right now. If your rub is brand new it's gonna hold closer to 4 gallons. Soak it slow until it drips. I leave mine out until the first good killing frost. Also i hang it in front of the mineral feeder so they have to go under it when they get mineral.

Nicklausjames":2160odwg said:
Ok so permectrin is only permethrin. I'm going to mix up a 2 gallon 10% permethrin. Than what is the ratio of diesel or mineral oil to add here? Also is there a reason you use diesel over mineral?

Finally than you just leave the rubber out and put more chems on it every week? What if it rains to I bring the rubber in or just leave it?

Read the label
It's like 2 oz to the gallon or something
Better to get your info from the Mfg than a stranger
https://www.valleyvet.com/Library/cattl ... chart.html

Sorry I'm not getting this but I don't have a label because I don't own the permectrin. Permectrin ii is just 10% permethrin. I have a solution of permethrin in my barn and can make it to 10%. Permectrin says to mix it at 1.6oz per gallon. So if I make 4 gallons I would add 6.4 oz to 4 gallons of diesel fuel?

10% permethrin at 1.6 oz per gallon of oil.
1.6 x 4 = 6.4 is correct if you are using 10% permethrin or delute it to 10%

Ok so I made up a 10% permethrin solution and added 3.2 oz to 2 gallons of diesel. I applied to the backrubber w a hand sprayer. Is 2 gallons enough not sure how saturated it needs to be? Also how often do I need to reapply to rubber?

Nicklausjames":br13ep2k said:
Ok so I made up a 10% permethrin solution and added 3.2 oz to 2 gallons of diesel. I applied to the backrubber w a hand sprayer. Is 2 gallons enough not sure how saturated it needs to be? Also how often do I need to reapply to rubber?

I saturate it until the face flyps begin to drip a few drops. Then, as dash suggested, once a week....and after a good rain.

Latest posts