Fly control backrubber

Help Support CattleToday:

The permethrin says safe for use on horses as well. But I wonder if I mix with diesel and put in pasture would the diesel be bad for the horses if they rubbed on it? Thoughts?

Yeah, horses are sensitive, they can't have anything to eat unless it's been sprayed and fertilized. I'd probably use mineral oil on them. I'm being sarcastic of course, we don't have horses anymore, but when we did, they didn't get any special treatment, get tough or die.

Permecterin 2 has a chemical other than Permetherin to make the Permetherin work better so you can use less.

My Permetherin 10% says 1:80 = 8oz in 5 gal. for a backrubber.

I bought a jug of the premixed Zap backrubber chemical, and felt awful dumb when I smelled the diesel fuel when I opened it.

bball said:
Nicklausjames said:
Ok so I made up a 10% permethrin solution and added 3.2 oz to 2 gallons of diesel. I applied to the backrubber w a hand sprayer. Is 2 gallons enough not sure how saturated it needs to be? Also how often do I need to reapply to rubber?

I saturate it until the face flyps begin to drip a few drops. Then, as dash suggested, once a week....and after a good rain.
For a 10' rub, it's always taken me 3 1/2 to 5 gallons for the initial 'charging' of the rub. Once it has been filled the 1st time, a 2 gal garden sprayer will usually get it back to the dripping stage. Put as many of the 'face flyps' on it as you can..torn up tee shirts will work in a pinch.
When I first put the rubs out, the cattle always tended to kinda hurry thru it next to the posts where the rub was highest from the ground...mostly avoiding the lower hanging flyps. That soon changed and they'd go under at the low center of it.
I've watched my old beefmaster bull and the char/simm lost of times walk under it, and just move back and forth under the rub...they figure out pretty fast that going under it is helping them.

Latest posts