Another Winter Storm

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Still sounding like the bad stuff of this storm is going to slip east of me :) altho they are saying cold and blustery here- with lows as cold as 15-20 Below possible....

Blizzard Watch out for most of North Dakota- parts of Minnesota......Take Care if a guys travelling in that area or further east....Glad I'm not calving for another month or so.....

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BISMARCK ND
319 PM CST THU FEB 7 2008

...BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FOR PORTIONS OF NORTHWEST AND CENTRAL
NORTH DAKOTA FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON...AND A
WIND CHILL WATCH HAS NOW BEEN ISSUED FOR THE SOUTHWEST AS WELL...

.NORTHWEST NORTH DAKOTA HAS NOW BEEN INCLUDED IN THE BLIZZARD
WATCH FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY. GROUND BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE
EXPECTED TO DEVELOP FRIDAY EVENING ACROSS PORTIONS OF NORTHWEST
AND CENTRAL NORTH DAKOTA AS AN ARCTIC COLD FRONT USHERS IN GUSTY
NORTHWEST WINDS AND MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES. WINDS OF 25 TO 40
MPH AND GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH ARE LIKELY. ALTHOUGH SNOW AMOUNTS WITH
THE COLD FRONT WILL BE LIGHT...EXISTING LOOSE SNOW COVER OF 2 TO
6 INCHES IN COMBINATION WITH THE STRONG WINDS WILL CREATE
SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. IN ADDITION...DANGEROUS
WINDS CHILLS OF 35 TO 50 BELOW ARE EXPECTED AS SUBZERO
TEMPERATURES COMBINE WITH THE STRONG WINDS. A WIND CHILL WATCH HAS
BEEN ISSUED FOR THE SOUTHWEST FRIDAY NIGH AND SATURDAY. ALTHOUGH
THERE WILL BE CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW ACROSS THE
SOUTHWEST...THE LACK OF SIGNIFICANT SNOW COVER THERE MAKES WIND
CHILLS THE MOST SIGNIFICANT THREAT. THESE HAZARDOUS WEATHER
CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

TRAVEL WILL LIKELY BECOME DANGEROUS DUE TO DRIFTING SNOW COVERING
ROADWAYS...LOW VISIBILITIES IN BLOWING SNOW...AND DANGEROUS WIND
CHILLS FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY. BE PREPARED TO DELAY TRAVEL.

I'm glad I don't have to head out across ND this weekend. Our worse day here in NC MN will be Sat. Upgraded now to +5 instead of highs of -5 forecast yesterday. With Sat night lows around -20. Little snow, but windchill -40 to -50. :eek: :help:

Wasn't suppose to hit us. Got about 1". Really wet snow.
Looks like it was going east and south of us again. Glad that it did snow before it drops below 0. Not calving til the end of this month, but looks like it won't start til March 1st.

Well we got hit real hard with a foot of snow in two hours, winds up to 70mph, last week. I watched in amazement when the brand new BBQ grill that we paid 250 dollars for last August, went flying across the yard, propain tank and all. We hit 100 year records with our snow fall and I am sooooooo sick of the white crap. Today we had a heat wave, it was 32 and sunny :D It felt like summer, The snow has been on the ground here for two months now. This is not the New Mexico I want to live in, where did it go? Please help, I'll even give a reward to the person who finds and returns my warm weather. :shock:

show steer up":idnnawtw said:
. . . Please help, I'll even give a reward to the person who finds and returns my warm weather. :shock:

show steer - Good news. I've located your warm weather. Unfortunately it is not cooperating with me at the moment. So it looks like I'll only be able to move it a little at a time, and it may take me until the middle of July or August to get it all back to you. Feel free to go ahead and send that reward on over, because you can rest assured I'll get that warm weather to you. Of course it will then be up to you to keep it inside your own fences. :)

CUZ that is very thought full and a good thing your doing. :D I would like to order some "WARM" too, if you don't mind. Ummm :???: where do I sent the $.

mnmtranching":3gqalocp said:
CUZ that is very thought full and a good thing your doing. :D I would like to order some "WARM" too, if you don't mind. Ummm :???: where do I sent the $.

mnm - I talked with your warm weather. Man, the stories she told on you were downright shameful. She said that you wouldn't stay with her all the time but would go off and see the weather in other places. Then she said she found some "pictures" - 'nuff said about that. She said you spent all the good days ya'll had together planning and getting ready for when her sister Cold weather was gonna come visit. She said if you thought so much of her sister then maybe ya'll should just stay together.

I'll put another good word for you, but she was not happy with you.

PS She also said although ya'll have an open arrangement, she was really tired of you talking about the Strange weather that you had last year. :)

I just got in from doing chores it is -26 and with that darn windchill -36.Cows ate as much in one day as they usually do in 2 or 3 days.
Was only out for 2 hours and I am chilled to the bone.I think I may have to bring out the Drambuie. ;-)
The wind is deadly.
This weather bites the big one. :mad:

Doesn't look like anyone is going to calve thankfully.

Just checked the weather network. -41 over night and with the wind chill it will be in the -50's. :cry2:

Poor animals that have to be outside, I hope my hubby is home this weekend as Sh@t always happens when it gets this cold. :roll:

It was 36 degrees here, sunny, and beautiful at 4PM-- by 6PM the temp had dropped to 5 degrees-now at 8:30PM its 5 BELOW- the wind is howling 30-40 mph and the windchill is about 30 BELOW....Luckily so far no snow...

Temp is supposed to keep heading down to about 15-20 Below tonite and only get up to 5-10 below for a high tomorrow...

This is supposed to be fast moving and move out to the east by Sunday :D

CUZ":3qwpug20 said:
show steer up":3qwpug20 said:
. . . Please help, I'll even give a reward to the person who finds and returns my warm weather. :shock:

show steer - Good news. I've located your warm weather. Unfortunately it is not cooperating with me at the moment. So it looks like I'll only be able to move it a little at a time, and it may take me until the middle of July or August to get it all back to you. Feel free to go ahead and send that reward on over, because you can rest assured I'll get that warm weather to you. Of course it will then be up to you to keep it inside your own fences. :)
Thanks Cuz, but unfortunately my offer is for the first person only. The middle of July or August is way too long of a wait :frowns: I need warm now :!: Im sure if you tried real hard you could get the warm weather over here sooner :D please keep me posted as I am turning into a frozen, un-happy rancher.
p.s. any ideas how to keep the warm inside my fences :shock:
Thanks again for all your help, but Im still frozen :cry2:

hillsdown":lfzo8i5v said:
Just checked the weather network. -41 over night and with the wind chill it will be in the -50's. :cry2:

Poor animals that have to be outside, I hope my hubby is home this weekend as Sh@t always happens when it gets this cold. :roll:

hd - I was reading in one of the cattle mags about folks building L shaped fences to help their cattle survive in bitter cold and snowy conditions. Do ya'll use something like that or are the cows just on their own?

Does this kind of weather make you want to tie Al Gore to a stake out in the field somewhere and ask if he thinks it's inconvenient?

OT it hit here about 3pm. Was really nice and sunny up til then. The last storm sounded like hail stones hitting our windows. Snow pellets. Broke off the top of one of our trees in the back yard.
It was snowing here around 9-10pm. Was -6 at 10pm.
Suppose to snow today. Really cold windchill right now. Don't even want to know.

hd - I was reading in one of the cattle mags about folks building L shaped fences to help their cattle survive in bitter cold and snowy conditions. Do ya'll use something like that or are the cows just on their own?
CUZ

We don't have that set up per say but there is a row of shelters for the dry cows and a row of feed that acts as an additional wind break.The cows that are going to calve asap or have just calved are in a very sheltered area with a large calving barn.
The cows with calves have a sheltered area and the calves have there own shelter.Everyone gets a really good straw pack with fresh bedding all the time.

This is the first year with it set up this way and I dont know yet how well it is going to work.

It only got to -31 last night here and with the wind chill -40 so the cows got a break thank goodness.Talked to friends this morning 2 miles away and they got down to -40 before the wind chill. The sun is shining and is -25 with no wind. The cows are happy and the babies are running around. It is supposed to be in the low minus teens this week I think the fluctuation in the temperature is the hardest on everyone especially the babies.

Stay warm everyone.

Seems like only yesterday that I was praying for the ground to freeze to put a hold on all the mud...record snow fall and now we are getting a thaw the ground is still frozen but not for long. So not looking forward the the mud again.
We're lucky to have hills to block the snow, alot of the county had been closed from the blowing snow. DMc

Winds howling- snowing and blowing...Wind switched directions today and is coming out of the SE instead of the NW (so it can blow all the snow the opposite direction now :roll: ) But the good news- is that since the sun went down the temp is going UP- now up to 6 Above.....
They say it could be in the 20's tomorrow- and 30's by Tuesday....

High here was -12 today with a nasty NW wind. :help: Tomorrow will get above 0. :D

We had a blizzard on friday night/saturday morning to saturday midday. I spent the night at a friends house on friday. Had to leave around 5 30 in the morning to get home by 6. I started driving out of their driveway, only able to see about 2 feet in front of me. Drove right across the road, and into the ditch. DIdnt know I was in the ditch till i couldnt move. Got out of the ditch, drove home the 20 miles, with the orange lines underneath my car(on highway, it was just by guessing where the roads were on the gravel). The best visablility i got the whole time was about 5 feet in front of me. Normal visability was, just barely able to see the orange lines as i pointed my eyesight 1 foot in front of my car. I think I drove 20 mph, normally, i take those roads around 70. I made it home around 6 30, usually takes me 10/15 minutes. Scary scary time to drive. Not planning on doing it again.

Latest posts