Another shot dead by Mpls police

Help Support CattleToday:

Former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger was found GUILTY of murder today.
Sentencing testimony has ended for the day..she faces up to life in prison.

Sentenced to 10 years in prison today. Jury didn't buy her 'I wuz skeered and did it in a moment of passion" plea.
Judge had previously advised the jury that this was an option to consider.

Transcript of Judge reading the sentence:
We, the jury, find unanimously that the defendant did not cause the death of Botham Jean while under the immediate influence of sudden passion, arising from an adequate cause, and assess the defendant's punishment at 10 years imprisonment in the Texas Department Of Criminal Justice. In addition, we assessed a fine of $0. And it's signed by the presiding juror.

Prosecution had asked for a minimum of 28 years, which was the victim's age when he was murdered.

From the little I heard that sure was a strange case.
She entered his home/apartment, thought it was her place and shot him dead.
So weird! All her police training failed her. I must be missing important details.
Was she ever tested for drugs? or just mentally unbalanced?

I don't know. She had made some post on social media that didn't look to good...
Racist? I don't really think so just poppin off to 'be kewl' but who knows...
"One text Guyger wrote in January 2018 stated how she would like to use pepper spray on the crowd at a Martin Luther King Jr. parade in Dallas, while in another she wrote that her black police colleagues "just have a different way of working and it shows."

Guyger also shared a post on Pinterest that stated: "I wear all black to remind you not to mess with me, because I'm already dressed for your funeral.""

You can see some of here favorite 'memes' here:
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tasneemnashrulla/amber-guyger-sentence-botham-jean-murder

I really think she was in over her head, shot first forgetting the #1 rule: "Situational awareness..always KNOW where you are and what is around you".

Went straight to #2 and #3 instead.
"Target acquisition"
"Bullet placement"

She'll have 10 years to reflect on these things, assuming she doesn't get an early release.

greybeard said:
I don't know. She had made some post on social media that didn't look to good...
"I wear all black to remind you not to mess with me, because I'm already dressed for your funeral.""

I really think she was in over her head, shot first forgetting the #1 rule:
"Situational awareness..always KNOW where you are and what is around you".
Went straight to #2 and #3 instead. "Target acquisition" "Bullet placement"

She'll have 10 years to reflect on these things, assuming she doesn't get an early release.
Saw on TV news, after the victim's brother finished testifying on the stand he asked for and
received permission from the judge to go over and give Guyger a hug. His hugging her was
very touching and emotional and might have swayed jury into recommending 10 years instead
of 20. The state's prosecuting attorney was seeking 28 years by trying to play the emotional
card of asking for a sentence length equal to the victim's age.

According to what I saw, that hug and statement of forgiveness took place after the 10 yr sentence had already been announced.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/i-love-you-as-a-person-brother-of-botham-jean-hugs-amber-guyger-after-she-is-sentenced-to-10-years

The brother of Botham Jean said he loved Amber Guyger and proceeded to hug her moments after she was sentenced to 10 years in prison for murdering Jean last September.

Guyger, who was a Dallas police officer, killed 26-year-old Jean, 26, on Sept. 6, 2018, after she walked into his apartment, thinking it was her own. Thinking Jean was an intruder, she shot him and was later fired and charged.

"I love you just like anyone else, and I'm not going to hope you rot and die," Jean said to Guyger. "I personally want the best for you. I wasn't going to say this in front of my family, I don't even want you to go to jail. I want the best for you because I know that's exactly what Botham would want for you. Give your life to Christ. I think giving your life to Christ is the best thing Botham would want for you."

fake news?

greybeard said:
According to what I saw, that hug and statement of forgiveness took place after the 10 yr sentence
had already been announced.
You are probably right. I only saw coming off the stand to hug her. Then cut to our local anchor
saying she was sentenced to 10 yrs though prosecution asked for 28.
I never heard whatever statement he made.

Glad this case is over. The man was sitting on the couch relaxing.

Situational awareness is learned. Anyone can learn it. It's taught to police and military. Most women learn it as young ladies because they are more likely to get attacked when alone, especially in the city. That's why those of us who are streetwise, carry our keys in our hands while walking to the car and don't stop to text or answer the phone. Head on a swivel, as they say.

An officer getting home after a long shift should still have it. Unless he or she did some drugs or drank before coming home. I remember the police were a bit coy when the story first came out. I am going to guess drugs.

Her racism is certainly there, but maybe she was smart enough not to type the worst of it. It could have been a big factor. Probably working too many night shifts.

The police department where I worked (to save up money for college) used to rotate officers off of night shift periodically, so they could see how many good people there were in their city (all the ones they didn't meet, lol!). Smart move.

Son of Butch said:
From the little I heard that sure was a strange case.
She entered his home/apartment, thought it was her place and shot him dead.
So weird! All her police training failed her. I must be missing important details.
Was she ever tested for drugs? or just mentally unbalanced?

This case stunk from day one!
There is more to this than we'll ever know.

Supposedly, she opened the door of what was "her" apartment and saw him thinking he was in her apartment.
How many on here would open their door and NOT RECOGNIZE that they were in the wrong apartment? even if it was dark.

A good reason for locking your door. All apartments look alike but the same key won't open all of them. When I was in college me and a friend went to the drive-in to see a Burt Reynolds movie, I think it was "Gator". I went to the concession stand and came back and opened the wrong car door. There was a man and woman in it doing some heavy making out. I said something like "oops, wrong car, sorry". He got pretty hot about it understandably. I shut the door and he stayed in the car.

I've lived in several apt complexes over the decades (in military you move around a lot) with the last time being in 2008/2009 while this house was being built and every one I ever lived in had a number on the apt door. All the 1st floor apts were numbered 1st floor=11xx..2nd floor=12xx...3rd floor=13xx...4th=14xx etc.
Her apt was 3rd floor #1378..his was on 4th floor and #1478. I have to assume she could read...numbers are on a vertical light fixture just to the left of the door.
Even if it HAD been her own apt, it could have been anyone in there...exterminator...building maintenance..apt manager for routine inspection.
Don't care who ya are, you just don't start shooting without knowing what/who you're shooting..

I listened today to the 911 call she made. She seemed way more worried about loosing her job than the fact she had just killed an innocent man.

A good reason for locking your door.

The doors were auto close doors like you see in newer and good quality motels. The close by themselves, latch and once latched, they are locked. On of his neighbors has posted a youtube video of how they work.
Evidently, his closed but didn't always latch and lock..most of the time did lock but not always. I reckon he assumed it was locked.

This was one of the damning self testimonies she gave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36r_fwnJric

I do give her credit for being honest with her answers..........

Wow. They need to screen officers and train officers much better. That definitely sounds like she had an altered mental state.

Muhamed Noor age 31 at time of shooting received 12 1/2 yrs and eligible for parole after 8.4 yrs.
Justine Damond age 40 and her parents/family received 22 million as wrongful death settlement.

Amy Guyger age 30 at time of shooting received 10 yrs and eligible for parole after ? (6.7 yrs ?)

Botham Jean age 26 an accountant for Pricewaterhouse at time of death, murdered in his own home
and his parents/family receive $0.00 for wrongful death?

Stocker Steve said:
Little Cow said:
Wow. They need to screen officers and train officers much better.
That definitely sounds like she had an altered mental state.
Perhaps, but some people are just untrainable.
IF the priority is diversity over quality, then it only stands to reason the expected outcome will be
lesser performance with more mistakes.

Latest posts