Another school shooting

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":3293128b said:
No I do not.
A fixed pattern of behavior to stimuli. Mental or physical response..

Most of what you mentioned in your post above are not instinct. For example, if you hear something that awakens you, the initial response is immediately stunted by your cognitive functions that begin to analyze what it might be.

The brain of a Homo sapiens harbors remnants of instinctive functions but they are stunted by the evolution toward cognitive function. Primates have shown a steady advance toward cerebral development culminating in Homo sapiens.

Getting back to the topic, killing in humans is a deliberative process. To attribute killing to instinct is nonsense.

True Grit Farms":3ixlpi7n said:
Bright Raven":3ixlpi7n said:
TexasBred":3ixlpi7n said:
Sorry Grit but you're 100% wrong. You also have no license to practice law.

License to practice Law!!! That scares me to death. I can understand that he may have slept through Government Class. But you would think he would know more than he does from watching the news and old reruns of Perry Mason.

:hide:
I don't know anything about anything, but I can read and look up the meaning of a word. Comprehension is and has always been my problem, because I can think for myself.
So you're always right as long as you "think" you're right. :lol2: :lol2:

Bright Raven":18rbf06s said:
The brain of a Homo sapiens harbors remnants of instinctive functions but they are stunted by the evolution toward cognitive function. Primates have shown a steady advance toward cerebral development culminating in Homo sapiens.

Getting back to the topic, killing in humans is a deliberative process. To attribute killing to instinct is nonsense.

Whew! That sounds down right interlectural. :D

herofan":1c74kt8i said:
Bright Raven":1c74kt8i said:

No matter what some may think of Bright Raven, he is an extremely intelligent man with honor and integrity that would rival just about anyone on here.

bball":297wb6ph said:
No matter what some may think of Bright Raven, he is an extremely intelligent man with honor and integrity that would rival just about anyone on here.
Yes.........instinctively so.

This has probably already been posted,but looks like law enforcement dropped the ball again. He posted on YouTube he was going to be a pro school shooter, was reported the FBI and they couldn't find him ??????
Cops had been called to his house 35 times.
That is what is supposed to keep you from passing FBI background check when you try to buy a gun.
Sounds familiar to the Texas church shooter where the military didn't follow thru.
How are more laws gonna help when the ones we have aren't used???

danl":2rymh6zx said:
This has probably already been posted,but looks like law enforcement dropped the ball again. He posted on YouTube he was going to be a pro school shooter, was reported the FBI and they couldn't find him ??????
Cops had been called to his house 35 times.
That is what is supposed to keep you from passing FBI background check when you try to buy a gun.
Sounds familiar to the Texas church shooter where the military didn't follow thru.
How are more laws gonna help when the ones we have aren't used???
More laws make the liberals feel good.
They then feel more empowered over us common folk.

On the issue of instinct. The subject of instinct comes up in a number of courses in the biological sciences. It also comes up in psychology. Instinct has been treated differently by a number of prominent scientist. Some have maintained that humans have no instincts - the blank sheet of paper theory. I thought it was interesting that Caustic Bruno's dad used that term in his advice about CB's first born. That he was a blank sheet of paper. Today, scientist recognize that humans do have instincts or innate behavior. Meaning they are born with those behaviors. One of nature's classic innate behaviors is the sea turtles. They hatch on the beach and immediately without thought or training journey to the sea. What the layperson considers instinct is not always treated the same by scientist. Scientist relate instinct to a neurological function. Instinct is innate. It is not a thought process. Most all human actions involve a thought process. The classic instinct in humans is possession. Even a 3 month old child will grasp his bottle and resist it being taken away out of instinct.

Anthropologist have described humans as a docile animal. With the most advanced cerebrum in the animal kingdom. Capable of complex emotions. Love, hate, desire, jealousy, etc. Killing another human is not a natural or innate behavior in humans. Humans have one of the most complex social structures in the animal kingdom. From before we became humans, our hominid ancestors lived in social groups. It is believed they buried their dead. It is not natural for a human to kill another human. War is conducted only by the human species. It is not innate. It is learned behavior.

While motives to kill might be triggered by instinctive or innate behavior, the act is a process of thought.

Bright Raven":1sm3i9jv said:
On the issue of instinct. The subject of instinct comes up in a number of courses in the biological sciences. It also comes up in psychology. Instinct has been treated differently by a number of prominent scientist. Some have maintained that humans have no instincts - the blank sheet of paper theory. I thought it was interesting that Caustic Bruno's dad used that term in his advice about CB's first born. That he was a blank sheet of paper. Today, scientist recognize that humans do have instincts or innate behavior. Meaning they are born with those behaviors. One of nature's classic innate behaviors is the sea turtles. They hatch on the beach and immediately without thought or training journey to the sea. What the layperson considers instinct is not always treated the same by scientist. Scientist relate instinct to a neurological function. Instinct is innate. It is not a thought process. Most all human actions involve a thought process. The classic instinct in humans is possession. Even a 3 month old child will grasp his bottle and resist it being taken away out of instinct.

Anthropologist have described humans as a docile animal. With the most advanced cerebrum in the animal kingdom. Capable of complex emotions. Love, hate, desire, jealousy, etc. Killing another human is not a natural or innate behavior in humans. Humans have one of the most complex social structures in the animal kingdom. From before we became humans, our hominid ancestors lived in social groups. It is believed they buried their dead. It is not natural for a human to kill another human. War is conducted only by the human species. It is not innate. It is learned behavior.

While motives to kill might be triggered by instinctive or innate behavior, the act is a process of thought.

Your repeating what you read and learned that is supposed to happen. There's a big difference in that and what actually happens in life. Your sea turtle statement is so wrong, even though that's what you read and learned it's far from fact. Turn a bright lite on and every hatchling will crawl away from the sea towards the light.

True Grit Farms":8t2jfuzu said:
Your repeating what you read and learned that is supposed to happen. There's a big difference in that and what actually happens in life. Your sea turtle statement is so wrong, even though that's what you read and learned it's far from fact. Turn a bright lite on and every hatchling will crawl away from the sea towards the light.

It doesn't surprise me. It demonstrates that other stimuli can interfere with their instinctive behavior. But under normal circumstances without interference, that does not change the fact that their survival is based on the instinct to journey to the sea.

Bright Raven":3sc4mr44 said:
True Grit Farms":3sc4mr44 said:
Bright Raven":3sc4mr44 said:
I am not going to argue with the only person on this forum who does not recognize that persons trained in the art of law practice are known by labels including 1. Lawyer 2. Counsel/counselor 3. Attorney 4. Solicitor etc.

Definition: Lawyer - a person who practices or studies law; an attorney or a counselor.
coun·sel
ˈkounsəl/Submit
noun
advice, especially that given formally.
synonyms: advice, guidance, counseling, direction, information; More
the lawyer or lawyers conducting a case.
"the counsel for the defense"
synonyms: lawyer, advocate, attorney, attorney-at-law, counselor; More
verb
give advice to (someone).
"he was counseled by his supporters to return to Germany"

The way I read the description of counsel is that, 2 out of 3 of the definitions of the word "counsel" is in my favor. If you'd shut up and listen you might even learn something today, or do you lack the ability to comprehend?

I give up. And I rarely do that.
BR Grit would probably represent himself. You know the old saying. The person who represents himself in a court of law has a fool for a client. :lol2:

TexasBred":33wc7hnj said:
Bright Raven":33wc7hnj said:
True Grit Farms":33wc7hnj said:
coun·sel
ˈkounsəl/Submit
noun
advice, especially that given formally.
synonyms: advice, guidance, counseling, direction, information; More
the lawyer or lawyers conducting a case.
"the counsel for the defense"
synonyms: lawyer, advocate, attorney, attorney-at-law, counselor; More
verb
give advice to (someone).
"he was counseled by his supporters to return to Germany"

The way I read the description of counsel is that, 2 out of 3 of the definitions of the word "counsel" is in my favor. If you'd shut up and listen you might even learn something today, or do you lack the ability to comprehend?

I give up. And I rarely do that.
BR Grit would probably represent himself. You know the old saying. The person who represents himself in a court of law has a fool for a client. :lol2:

I needed that. :tiphat:

bball":1lhshhi5 said:
herofan":1lhshhi5 said:
Bright Raven":1lhshhi5 said:

Let's just give him a pat on the back and not go overboard. :lol: :hide:

TexasBred":2xskmt49 said:
bball":2xskmt49 said:
herofan":2xskmt49 said:

Let's just give him a pat on the back and not go overboard. :lol: :hide:

That is funny. Sounds like something my brother would say.

Bright Raven":3s6y3xak said:

Who taught the Romans to go to war? The Egyptians? The Huns who tried to take China? Hitler? It goes back generation over generation and had to start somewhere. Watching chimps, we see that they will randomly attack another group/tribe, killing, eating, and taking their territory. It may be that in some people war is a learned behavior, but in others it's innate. In the same vein of thinking, there are humans that just love to fight. They're good at, they seek it, some even try to make it their profession. Is not fighting, especially against an unwilling foe, creating war on a micro-scale? Some folks are just a-holes. Most are just trying to survive until the next day. Unfortunately, some a-holes gravitate toward positions of power and drag the rest of us into the fray.

Bestoutwest":3cryr3yb said:
Bright Raven":3cryr3yb said:

Who taught the Romans to go to war? The Egyptians? The Huns who tried to take China? Hitler? It goes back generation over generation and had to start somewhere. Watching chimps, we see that they will randomly attack another group/tribe, killing, eating, and taking their territory. It may be that in some people war is a learned behavior, but in others it's innate. In the same vein of thinking, there are humans that just love to fight. They're good at, they seek it, some even try to make it their profession. Is not fighting, especially against an unwilling foe, creating war on a micro-scale? Some folks are just a-holes. Most are just trying to survive until the next day. Unfortunately, some a-holes gravitate toward positions of power and drag the rest of us into the fray.

There are anthropologist who do maintain that man's ancestral hominids had a proclivity for violence - including homicide (in this case killing another hominid). They often cite the nature films of chimps attaching other groups. No doubt if you go back through the phylogenetic tree of hominids, there is evidence in the fossil remains in the form of dentition that suggests they were carnivores or at least omnivores which had a diet heavily weighted towards meats. Nevertheless, as you ascend the phylogenetic tree toward Homo sapiens, there is more evidence of an omnivorous diet.

Remember, we are talking about Homo sapiens. Are Homo sapiens capable of extreme violence including homicide - of course. The consensus is that killing is not an innate behavior at least in normal Homo sapiens.

greybeard":3l68815j said:
.... because we all tend to view the world thru our own eyes rather than how the world really is..don't worry..most of us are the same way.

That is a less concise way of stating what is in bball's signature line:

We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

We all do it. How could we not? Maybe some day, we will have the knowledge and science to get into someone else's head. Gosh. I don't want to be in Grit's head. I hate nightmares.

Bright Raven":1o1vbr7x said:
greybeard":1o1vbr7x said:
.... because we all tend to view the world thru our own eyes rather than how the world really is..don't worry..most of us are the same way.

That is a less concise way of stating what is in bball's signature line:

We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

We all do it. How could we not? Maybe some day, we will have the knowledge and science to get into someone else's head. Gosh. I don't want to be in Grit's head. I hate nightmares.
I have never had a nightmare, and can't remember dreaming since I was a teenager. Personally I'm amazed more folks don't think like me, but I don't believe nothing I read and only half of what I see, and refuse to follow like a sheep.

Latest posts