Another sale barn cattle thread

Help Support CattleToday:

The third dead cow is where the biggest problem lay. It became apparent to me after watching her wasting away that she had paratuberculosis. Confirmed the diagnosis and several more cows in the heard were infected. So, let everything grow as much as possible and then sold every head I owned in July for approx. $1,050 per cow with calves thrown in.

That sounds like a really good price for sick cows. I can't get that for healthy cows at the sale barns I sell at.

Angus Cowman":2o4vr3cq said:
you read enough of his post and you can figure it out pretty easy they change their names just not their attitude and he is a magical fellow he can move all of his cows and belongings from Tennessee to Arizona to Kansas all in a few hrs

Cows??????????? What cows?????????? :mrgreen:

HS, I've got my money on the red one too!

ligons":28i6vdwg said:
SRbeef:

No I didn't cure them. You can't cure them. If they were curable, I would have kept them. I sold them to slaughter through the same barn as they came from. Actually, to be more accurate, I sold them to the man who sold them to me at the barn and who then sold them for slaughter through the same barn that they came from.

Now, you go have a nice day.

How much did you lose? How much did the "man" lose? Why was the slaughter market over $1K?

ligons":3d2tirbv said:
S&Wsigma:

I know I shouldn't bother, but . . . . .

What in the world about what I"ve said makes you think I'm a bad sort? Before selling the cows I checked high and low for info. about paratuberculosis and found aboslutely nothing regarding not being able to sell them for slaughter. Wouldn't have dreamed of selling them to an unsuspecting buyer but can't figure what your problem is with sending them to slaughter. Have I missed something here? If so, please enlighten me (however, I would request that you do so without the hyperbole). If you're just a jerk, please don't bother responding.
problem with that is,, a person needs too know if their a jerk or not. so that being the case look for a responce :lol2:

Herfordshire:

I didn't lose any actual dollars, mainly just wasted time and lost profit. The man that bought them from me probably didn't lose any money either but if he did it's because he didn't figure close enough. I know the slaughter market on cows was down but I don't know exactly where it was when he sold them. I'm sure I didn't have a cow that weighed less than 1300 so I didn't figure 1050 per cow with a sizeable calf was too much for him to pay and I guess he didn't either. He buys alot of cattle so if he figured it to work for him I bet he wasn't far off. But, to answer your question, I have no idea what he made or lost on the deal.

ligons":10cupz2c said:
Herfordshire:

I didn't lose any actual dollars, mainly just wasted time and lost profit. The man that bought them from me probably didn't lose any money either but if he did it's because he didn't figure close enough. I know the slaughter market on cows was down but I don't know exactly where it was when he sold them. I'm sure I didn't have a cow that weighed less than 1300 so I didn't figure 1050 per cow with a sizeable calf was too much for him to pay and I guess he didn't either. He buys alot of cattle so if he figured it to work for him I bet he wasn't far off. But, to answer your question, I have no idea what he made or lost on the deal.

That is the best part of it all that you didnt lose any money.

One thing to remember when you buy off the farm, is that some buy them from all over (including the salebarn) and then group them together and sell as a group. You think you're buying off the farm and the fellow may have only had them 60 or 90 days. A question you may want to ask is how long he's had that particular cow or cows.

Just as there are horse traders there are cow traders too. If you can find a complete herd dispersal at the salebarn (and that's not hard anymore) you can find some nice cows. I hope things work out better for you this next time.

alacattleman":2g3ipv5x said:
ligons":2g3ipv5x said:
S&Wsigma:

I know I shouldn't bother, but . . . . .

What in the world about what I"ve said makes you think I'm a bad sort? Before selling the cows I checked high and low for info. about paratuberculosis and found aboslutely nothing regarding not being able to sell them for slaughter. Wouldn't have dreamed of selling them to an unsuspecting buyer but can't figure what your problem is with sending them to slaughter. Have I missed something here? If so, please enlighten me (however, I would request that you do so without the hyperbole). If you're just a jerk, please don't bother responding.
problem with that is,, a person needs too know if their a jerk or not. so that being the case look for a responce :lol2:

I just find selling a johnes cow for anything is unethical. They definitely do not need to be in the food chain as dr in recent years have contributed crohns disease in people as possibly being spread by johnes cows. Besides that by the time they die at the feed lot there wont be nothing left of em and the meat wont be worth a crap. Not trying to be a jerk just saying what you did was unethical in my opinion and I wouldnt have done it. It is just that though an opinion everyone has one. Lighten huh!

to the original poster, sorry to hear about your troubles.

However i kind of have to agree with SR Beef on this one. From what i read you sent them to the sale barn, the original guy bought them, and he sent them to the slaughter

my problems are
1. Sending them to the sale barn, just contaminated the barn and if they co mingled with others or if they drank water from the same waterer or if they coughed, sneezed, **** on any other cow, they just spread the disease.
2. the pervious owner bought them. So then again, the could have co mingled with his herd or other animals again spreading the disease
3. What is the guarantee that these animals were not perviously known by the original seller and then buyer, that they were sick? I mean if he bought them back?...What guarantee if any do you have that they went to slaughter and not another sale barn to some other poor unsuspecting shmuck, only to have his herd infected.

Lets think, if you had to sell all your animals because of the infectious nature of this...then any animal they came in contact with or had a sneeze travel to, had a good chance of getting infected. At sale barns you have calves, small, baby, feeders, fats. You have bred cows, culls, etc.

Were these cows marked for culling? Was the disease made known to the auction mart and then the potential buyers? And finally my last question..."Why the heck did you not just send direct to slaughter and by pass the sale barn guaranteing the animals would be destroyed...and fed to some nice unsuspecting beef customers?

rockridgecattle:

Thank you for your condolences. I did not post my story to the board to garner sympathy, however. I did not mean to come across as whining about the outcome, just merely wanted to give my story of trying to build a herd through buying at a sale barn as an example of some of the difficulties.

In response to your specific notes:

1. I did not send them to the sale barn. I sold them to the man who sold them to me through the sale barn who then, I must assume, took them back to the sale barn. The disease is not passed through the air or water as I understand it. However, your point that if he took them to the barn it contaminated the barn is a good one. I agree. But seeing as how that is the barn I bought them from, that is the barn that was already contaminated, and it is not my barn, I don't see how that concerns me. If he doesn't care, far be it from me to bother myself with his problems. (but note that since he doesn't mind, I won't be buying cattle there anymore)

2. Yes the previous owner bought them. If he commingled them with his other cows, that was his choice and I would assume his other cows were already exposed. Again, not my business.

3. No guarantee and in fact I believe he did know they were exposed when I bought them. I suppose he could have unloaded them on some other poor unsuspecting shmuck (by that I assume you mean to say that I was the first shmuck - but no offense taken). I only know what he said he was going to do. I have enough trouble minding my own business without minding his as well.

Were the cows marked for culling? I don't know - they weren't when I bought them. I wasn't there when (if) they were sold. Why the heck did I not send them direct to slaughter? I would have if I had the opportunity to do so. I don't know anything about selling directly to the slaughter business. It just seemed much easier to call where they came from and ship them out that way.

So, I can't seem to figure out what your problem is. If I had sold them to a farmer as a set of working cows without telling him they had been exposed, that would have been bad. If I had hauled them off to another market and ran them through the ring without so much as a whisper of what was going on, that would have been bad. Even if I had taken them back to that barn and ran them through without having them announce what the deal was, that would have been bad. I didn't do any of that. The man who gave me the problem graciously took the problem off my hands. For that I am lucky.

Please note, however, that I'm not blaming the guy who sold his sick cattle at the auction barn and from whom I bought the cattle. Sale barns are for selling all kinds of marketable livestock. These cows were marketable. (I would probably argue that they shouldn't be, however.) My point is exactly that. Auctions are "buyer beware" markets. When you buy at a sale barn, you are taking a chance on getting someone elses problems and taking it home with you. I knew that when I bought the cattle, took the gamble, and it didn't work out the way I wanted it to. Fortunately for me, original seller bought them back eliminating the dilemma of what I was to do with them.

I guess you missunderstand me.

To go to slaughter, you load them up on a truck and send them to the local slaughter house. You call and check on what days they can take cattle and you openly disclose they have such and such and been vet tested

You have to opennly disclose to your sale barn if you are sending in animals that have a communicable disease. It is your responsiblity. It is what makes us good cattle people. By sending in contagious animals you have knowingly spread the disease to other farms...not good if you want a good reputation in the community.

I understand you were just posting your experience. I am not calling you a smuck, in as much as the guy who sold them to you does not care what condition he sells, so no guarantee they went for slaughter. And that guy will do the same thing again.

Basically, your herd that you built up, had to be sold due to a contagious disease, you sold to the original seller through the sale barn where other animals co mingle. I guess my point is where does your responsibility to the safety of the cattle herd in general begins and ends... As long as you get your money back...and to heII with the rest?

rockridgecattle:

I don't think I misunderstood you. I do think you misunderstand me.

I did not sell them to the original buyer through the sale barn. I called the original buyer, told him my problem, he came to my farm and bought the cattle, loaded them up and left with them. It is my understanding they were going to slaughter, however, I do not know for certain whether he took them directly to slaughter, took them home first, or took them through the sale barn that I bought them from. It is, however, my belief that they were going to be sold for slaughter through the sale barn; the same sale barn I bought them from. I didn't check up on them after I sold them and so I can't say for certain.

If the original owner hadn't taken them off my hands, I concede that taking them directly to slaughter house would have been the second best way to handle the problem. (The first being to have the bloodwork done on the whole herd, dispose of positives, wait six months and repeat ad infinitum until the herd was clean). However, this had never occurred to me as we don't have a local slaughter house and I have no idea where the closest one is located. You have opened my eyes to this avenue and I will be looking into how to ship directly to the slaughter house for future reference.

Okay mabe I have missed something and I apologize if I did, but I have read this several times and can't figure out how you to buy a total of 45 cows a year apart at a salebarn and they all be from the same seller. Then to be able to track the seller down. Our sale barns just identify the seller with a number mabe yours is different.

Katie:

Only the second set of cows was infected when I bought them. Those cattle were sent through the ring as a group (because they were a matched set of cows). Once I took them home, I ran them with my other cattle which were then exposed. I know who the original seller was because I talked with the guy at the barn.

You know, the more i think about this, the more I do not understand. I mean if this was my husband's and my herd that we had to sell cause of a contagious disease, I would have called the sale barn, the vet, the vet higher ups, the cattle association. I would have been ticked and angry and mad. Cause we worked way too hard to get keep my animals healthy with a good breeding program, tight calving season. I understand buyer beware, but there are checks in the system to prevent this
I would have been sum pi$$ed and some heads would have rolled...especially the seller who probably knew he was selling sick animals
I would not have been happy with my money back because my lively hood was now in the toilet

Latest posts