Another hog slaughter question

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Our county fair is coming up in a couple of weeks, long story short, my wife and I have decided to buy a hog from a 4-H kid. We will have a mobile butcher slaughter and process the meat. I hang our steers for about 16 or 18 days, what would you recommend for hang time on a hog? Also I plan to try my hand at making some bacon out of the pork bellies, should those hang or do you start the bacon from the bellies without having them hung with the rest of the hog? I ask the second question because of something I read about processing home bacon and the bellies cure in the fridge for a week or more.

Thanks,
Alan

Hog doesn't need to hang more than a couple days if at all. As for the bellies and bacon, just process all that with the hog. No need to separate it until your doing your cutting.

If a hog hangs more then a day or 2 you will find that the meat that has much fat doesn;t keep as long in the freezer.

That's right. Every day meat isn't frozen is one less day of shelf life. Same thing happens with refreezing meat. Those hours left thawed are counting against you.

I'd just let the processor quick freeze everything then you can thaw out the meats as you need them to use and fully thaw the meat before you begin curing.

Edit - exception to this is ham. If you are going to cure a whole ham leg don't freeze it because thawing it can be a problem and you might start curing it before its fully thawed and this is problematic.

Thanks Hook, Dun and Jo :tiphat: That's just what we'll do. I'm making some breakfast sausage this weekend, used a 3lb pork shoulder I purchase from a store, it was as fatty of a piece of pork I could find. Stores out here have no fat back and pork fat is impossible to find in the super markets. They have pork shipped in with a 1/8 inch trim. I'll make sure to save the fat back saved from the hog.

For what it's worth just finished a second grind on the sausage and cooked up a patty, pretty good for my first attempt, but I will tweak the recipe in a couple of areas next time. I'll link it later today and It's hash browns, sausage and over easy eggs tonight for dinner!

Thanks again,
Alan

Alan":o9mrfha1 said:
Thanks Hook, Dun and Jo :tiphat: That's just what we'll do. I'm making some breakfast sausage this weekend, used a 3lb pork shoulder I purchase from a store, it was as fatty of a piece of pork I could find. Stores out here have no fat back and pork fat is impossible to find in the super markets. They have pork shipped in with a 1/8 inch trim. I'll make sure to save the fat back saved from the hog.

For what it's worth just finished a second grind on the sausage and cooked up a patty, pretty good for my first attempt, but I will tweak the recipe in a couple of areas next time. I'll link it later today and It's hash browns, sausage and over easy eggs tonight for dinner!

Thanks again,
Alan

You will have a lot more flavor if you let it set a few hours and let the spices meld into the meat!

I am just producing a number of breakfast lean beef this specific few days, used a 3lb chicken shoulder When i invest in a shop, it was because oily associated with a sheet of chicken I could come across. Shops available the following have no excess fat again and also chicken excess fat is usually extremely hard to locate inside extremely markets

juliapeter007":16ov0kll said:
I am just producing a number of breakfast lean beef this specific few days, used a 3lb chicken shoulder When i invest in a shop, it was because oily associated with a sheet of chicken I could come across. Shops available the following have no excess fat again and also chicken excess fat is usually extremely hard to locate inside extremely markets
Can someone translate that for me

hooknline":ff9xr9ra said:
juliapeter007":ff9xr9ra said:
I think that's inglish as spoken in india

hooknline":3etgm736 said:
juliapeter007":3etgm736 said:

Yea, I was lost on it too, may be someone with English as a second language. ???

Mwj, your right on, I did mix the pork after dicing it with the spices and herbs and left it in the fridge over night before grinding. It was Alton Brown's recipe, I didn't care for the thyme and it called for both black pepper and cayenne pepper. While it wasn't too hot I like breakfast sausage without so much kick. So next batch will be without thyme and cayenne ..... Might try a little more sage as other recipes call for.

Just playing around and eating the results. :D

dun":38l9obcv said:
hooknline":38l9obcv said:
juliapeter007":38l9obcv said:
I think that's inglish as spoken in india

Nah, everything I call any 1-800 # I get some guy with a heavy Indian accent claiming to be named Bob. I'm getting to the point I can almost understand them. :?

hooknline":y84vw7bf said:
Now that they've gotten their 5 posts in, wait for the spam post......
He/she/it tried spamming on all of those, I just edited it out before approving. I'm not expecting he/she/it to be back

Yeah, one of my posts got hit in the pastures, grass and hay board by this person. Figured I was getting eye strain and just went to bed when I read it.. :lol:

Latest posts