Making hog processing easier

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":18zhx7kb said:
I prefer the tractor FEL makes it easier on old men. Stops all the bending.

I like it too. We have killed 10 in a day gives more room for people to work on hogs while loader goes back to the scalding tank and also here we hang them overnight in halves so firms up and easier to cut up. Good thing is can back trucks under it.

I agree. The only way I'll work under one is if there is a mechanical block on the exposed cylinder ram. A piece of channel iron will work, dropped over the exposed ram. I lower the bucket until the barrel of the cylinder contacts the lock and then I use a comealong or endless chain host to raise or lower whatever I had hung off the bucket. I've seen people use a 2x4, tied in place with a piece of rope, which I suppose is better than nothing....
My old 480 Case came with a safety lock and I use it.
It's permanently pinned at the top so it will swing down on the ram if you remove a pin at the bottom. Not mine, but mine is setup just like this one.

Case bobcats have the same setup.
422598d1430157016-fel-lock-support-when-working-04ia036d-jpg

callmefence":bo4zgqed said:
Caustic Burno":bo4zgqed said:

Under a fel ain't a very smart place to hang out.

It's locked out.
The odds of four cylinders failing simultaneously on a tractor with the hydraulics locked out is astronomical.

Caustic Burno":1xucbm1t said:
callmefence":1xucbm1t said:
Caustic Burno":1xucbm1t said:

It's locked out.
The odds of four cylinders failing simultaneously on a tractor with the hydraulics locked out is astronomical.

Gotcha....knock yourself out.. ;-)

I'm scratching my head with my pistol right now but the safety is on..........

Caustic Burno":2snjjvhs said:
callmefence":2snjjvhs said:
Caustic Burno":2snjjvhs said:

It's locked out.
Trace the hydraulics and you will see that it takes only one hose (2 at the most) to fail for both the tilt and lift cylinders to fall.
There's one line each from the control for
up boom
down boom
tilt bucket up
tilt bucket down
and 4 steel crossovers from right side to left side so if the hose on either side fails, the lift cylinders on both sides will retract. Same is true for the tilt.
Locking the control handle out does little or nothing....that just prevents someone from lowering it accidentally.

Hydraulic Lock out is not a safety. And it's often not hose or cylinder failure that will cause the accident. It's someone opening the valve. Could be a idiot watching you dress a hog. Or a grandkid coming through the shop door and messing with tractor. If there's a bleed anywhere in the hydraulic system the loader can drop quick. Mechanical lock is the true safety. Put a pulley in the rafters and get you a winch. I've gotta couple does in the cooler. Plan to shoot a hog in the next few days. Finish all the butchering at once. I snap a few pics

callmefence":4msf0g8h said:
Hydraulic Lock out is not a safety. And it's often not hose or cylinder failure that will cause the accident. It's someone opening the valve. Could be a idiot watching you dress a hog. Or a grandkid coming through the shop door and messing with tractor. If there's a bleed anywhere in the hydraulic system the loader can drop quick. Mechanical lock is the true safety. Put a pulley in the rafters and get you a winch. I've gotta couple does in the cooler. Plan to shoot a hog in the next few days. Finish all the butchering at once. I snap a few pics

You skinning or scalding your hog

skyhightree1":3fzpkxqe said:
callmefence":3fzpkxqe said:

skinning and grinding into breakfast sausage. Bout the only thing wild hogs are good for.

callmefence":21ng3g3i said:
skyhightree1":21ng3g3i said:
callmefence":21ng3g3i said:

skinning and grinding into breakfast sausage. Bout the only thing wild hogs are good for.

Do you still have that 1 you were raising

skyhightree1":1mo0fcgd said:
callmefence":1mo0fcgd said:
skyhightree1":1mo0fcgd said:

Lol
I do ..I caught him by hand when he was bought the size of a foot ball. He's lived of table scraps all year. Corn the last month or so.His name is breakfast sausage....

callmefence":15g9jgdw said:
skyhightree1":15g9jgdw said:
callmefence":15g9jgdw said:

Lol
I do ..I caught him by hand when he was bought the size of a foot ball. He's lived of table scraps all year. Corn the last month or so.His name is breakfast sausage....

LoL I'm ready to process but rains blocking me from it.

callmefence":1uia0hf4 said:

JUST MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE but I like to take one around 100-120 pounds, skin him, and cook him whole on an open fire. I take a 20 oz coke bottle, poke a hole in the top, fill it with apple juice and salt, and keep the pig squirted down good for the last three hours. Eat straight off the pit while it's hot. But as for processing a wild hog, I agree grinding into sausage is the way to go.

JMJ Farms":1pfx4vl1 said:
callmefence":1pfx4vl1 said:

JUST MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE but I like to take one around 100-120 pounds, skin him, and cook him whole on an open fire. I take a 20 oz coke bottle, poke a hole in the top, fill it with apple juice and salt, and keep the pig squirted down good for the last three hours. Eat straight off the pit while it's hot. But as for processing a wild hog, I agree grinding into sausage is the way to go.

I like a little smaller rooter salt cured and smoked.

callmefence":3s70a92k said:
skyhightree1":3s70a92k said:
callmefence":3s70a92k said:

Lol

Let's see Mr. Breakfast sausage

Ohio Cowboy":ll70nfbx said:
callmefence":ll70nfbx said:
skyhightree1":ll70nfbx said:

Lol

Let's see Mr. Breakfast sausage

Right now you'll have to settle for a screenshot of the text I sent sky several months back. He's still alive. I get a pick of him when I get in this evening..... anything else??

Latest posts