Reaction score
IMG_20161110_080744297_zpsqasjxllv.jpg

IMG_20161110_080957849_zpss7jriwgo.jpg

IMG_20161110_093339371_zpsxmfh0yf3.jpg

IMG_20161110_090559924_zpsb3foeeh7.jpg

IMG_20161110_092509423_zpskvcmslv2.jpg

IMG_20161110_095940945_HDR_zps7fn200cn.jpg

IMG_20161110_100210399_HDR_zpsm1nqykm0.jpg

Home butcher is rapidly disappearing. As a youngster, there were several hog killings each fall. We killed ours, then helped the Tolliver's, Ryan's, Miller's, Barry's, etc. It was a pleasant time. Nice weather. Good times gone forever.

RanchMan90":2r8dktbj said:
Good job, that's a forgotten art. I just had 2 litters hit the ground today. I better study up. What are the basic steps?

Yes it is a forgotten art... I stopped for a few years and am back into it. Basic steps Get you a tub and heat it up constantly checking the water to get to my personal preference of 155 degrees... I also stick oak and hickory ash in the water... don't get the hog worked up place feed out well placed shot lil above inbetween the eyes or sometimes I will kill behind the ear. I have had a 22 end up in a should from a between the eye shot not sure how. Get a good sticking knife to stick it once you shoot it bleed it out put in water I try to keep it at 155 cause soon as you stick the hog in it it cools it down. Once in there work it all around for about 3-4 mins and have a shovel and run across pig to see when hairs coming out good pull it out and start scraping and what I don't get I use a razor sharp knife or a small torch.

Edit... if you kill the hog and its pretty muddy I power wash it clean but a hose will do as well.

Margonme said:
Home butcher is rapidly disappearing. As a youngster, there were several hog killings each fall. We killed ours, then helped the Tolliver's, Ryan's, Miller's, Barry's, etc. It was a pleasant time. Nice weather. Good times gone forever.[/quote]

Doesn't have to be gone.. You can always start it back up.

skyhightree1":2sdbtijz said:
RanchMan90":2sdbtijz said:
Good job, that's a forgotten art. I just had 2 litters hit the ground today. I better study up. What are the basic steps?

Yes it is a forgotten art... I stopped for a few years and am back into it. Basic steps Get you a tub and heat it up constantly checking the water to get to my personal preference of 155 degrees... I also stick oak and hickory ash in the water... don't get the hog worked up place feed out well placed shot lil above inbetween the eyes or sometimes I will kill behind the ear. I have had a 22 end up in a should from a between the eye shot not sure how. Get a good sticking knife to stick it once you shoot it bleed it out put in water I try to keep it at 155 cause soon as you stick the hog in it it cools it down. Once in there work it all around for about 3-4 mins and have a shovel and run across pig to see when hairs coming out good pull it out and start scraping and what I don't get I use a razor sharp knife or a small torch.

Sky, we had a big cast iron hog scolding tub. I bet they are worth a fortune now. Filled it with water and built a big fire under it with oak or black locust.

Margonme":1mc4rvom said:
[

Sky, we had a big cast iron hog scolding tub. I bet they are worth a fortune now. Filled it with water and built a big fire under it with oak or black locust.

That scalding tank came out a bread or cooking making plant however I got some of those old cast iron bathtubs around here too. The clawfoot tubs are worth the money just the old tubs aren't.. I got tubs from 1923 and 29 or so. I grab everyone I can find for cheap or free. I plan to make one into a chicken/turkey scalding tank.

Hog scalding time!

The last bunch we did here, a few years ago, I ended up just skinning them. Couldn't find enough help with scalding, scraping etc.

A couple of years ago, took one to a friend's place, where he had 3 to do, I had 1 and another guy had 3, so we pooled our labor and killed, scalded/scraped etc. all working on ours/each others, like "the old days".

One time I had a boss that was from chattanooga. When we would discuss dealing with certain people in my area he would always say " Im from the country. I grew up in the sticks. I know exactly the kind on people your dealing with." One day he came to my area and rode with me to get a feel for the lay out and how I had it set up. He wanted to see where I lived so we rode by there. As we went past my neighbors house they were in the front yard right by the road with a hog hanging off the fel. He just stared hard out the window as we went by. When we past he turned to me and said "Ok. None of my neighbors ever did that before. Yall are way more country than I've ever seen. I think I've seen enough let's go back to Birmingham." :lol:

My grandfather used to do a lot of hog butchering and somehow I wound up with his kettle. It has three plain, short feet and a good iron bail handle and is in near perfect condition IMO. It sits in a three legged iron cradle that is good but less than perfect shape. I suspect it is from the '20s or '30s and has never been used for anything but butchering. Just takes up space in our basement. Any body got a clue what it might be worth?

City Guy":13aqh8bu said:
My grandfather used to do a lot of hog butchering and somehow I wound up with his kettle. It has three plain, short feet and a good iron bail handle and is in near perfect condition IMO. It sits in a three legged iron cradle that is good but less than perfect shape. I suspect it is from the '20s or '30s and has never been used for anything but butchering. Just takes up space in our basement. Any body got a clue what it might be worth?

I would not. But most I see now are cracked or broken and forgotten. I see them setting around old outbuildings. Remnants of a time gone by. I would love to have one but like everything as you get older, it becomes more of a burden than a value.

What size is it CG , If its about 2' round and 18" to 24" high its a wash pot. Used for making soap or boiling clothes among other chores on the farm. Around here the kettles which were about 5' across were multi propose also and the primary function was syrup but was also used to scald hogs if you didn't have a steel tank. I unbroken syrup kettle will fetch around 1500. and unbroken wash pot is around 500

Hog killing time weather has to be just right not hot and not to cold. My dad did not have to souse the hog down in a tank of boiling water. Water heated in a regular wash pot. Toe sacks laid over the hog and the scalding water poured over them. Just like to old time barbers soften your beard to shave. Then came the processing. Mother used the small intestine for casings. She would turn the wrong side out and scrape the lining out with a dull knife. Then into salty water until ready to use. Then the meat was put in the smoke house to cure. Always a salt cure. Hams shoulders and bacon were cured. All fat and skin with fat was put into the wash pot to render the lard out. Then you had the crackling that were used in cornbread. The head was put in a pot and cooked until you could de bone it then the meat was ground and seasoned and packed into loaf pans until it set. This was the souse meat at our house. Brains were cooked scrambled with eggs. All the meat trimming was made into sausage and stuffed in the casings.

Margonme":3lo7wu5m said:
Home butcher is rapidly disappearing. As a youngster, there were several hog killings each fall. We killed ours, then helped the Tolliver's, Ryan's, Miller's, Barry's, etc. It was a pleasant time. Nice weather. Good times gone forever.
Same when I was growing up. I can still remember the smell. Lots of work involved too. Loved the fresh ribs fried with no batter or anything.Awesome !!!!!

skyhightree1":3c9p494k said:
I have more to do those went for sausage.
In that case send me about 20 lbs. of that fresh sausage packed down good and cold in one of those nice Yeti coolers. :lol: ;-)

Pretty similar to what hurleyjd described, except the head went into blood sausage, which was stuffed in the large intestines.

M-5, Thanks for the info. It is 27" diameter and the kettle itself is 14" deep. In it's cradle it is 22" from ground to lip.
My grandmother did make lye soap so I guess this is what she used.

TexasBred":22kspl4c said:
skyhightree1":22kspl4c said:
I have more to do those went for sausage.
In that case send me about 20 lbs. of that fresh sausage packed down good and cold in one of those nice Yeti coolers. :lol: ;-)

No problem umm PM me your credit or debit card number so I can get the nice yeti :D

Latest posts