Another dozen

Help Support CattleToday:

They were cheap and will run loose here as our last sheep did. Have customers for the m all this fall.
Now ya got me wondering....

They do have a couple sales relatively close that sell sheep/goats. Don't want any goats. But I've heard prices are down on sheep and goats. Usually a good time to buy em I guess.

Will sheep eat some things that cows don't?

Sheep will eat some of the broad leaf things cows will leave, although they are not the foragers that goats are. Sheep normally will be easier on the fencing than goats... they do not "have to climb to get that nearly unreachable delectable morsel up in the top of whatever bush it is" like a goat will. If a horned breed, the young ones can get their heads stuck in woven wire field fence, but the polled ones can usually get back out. They will stay in electrified netting, and will stay in a 3 strand electrified fence IF... they touch it with their noses... the wooled breeds do not stay contained in electric as easily since the wool does not conduct the electric to give them a shock... unless trained to it... Visual is the key with them.... haired breeds are USUALLY more athletic and many are less people dependent and often are flightier... but have a better sense of trying to live.
Lamb is down a bit here, in the 2.50-3.50 lb for lambs 40-80 lbs on average... bottle lambs can bring $20 -100 in the spring... "oh they are sooooo cute"....
I like sheep and do not like goats mostly due to the climbing on everything BS and always wanting to be out somewhere they don't belong...
Predators are probably the biggest thing... dogs can run them and they can drop from exhaustion... heart attack... fright... our donkeys and the llamas have done a bang up job of keeping the coyotes out... can't do LGD 's due to types of fences and neighbors that just don't understand their job is to STAY with the sheep... NOSY DO-GOODER PITA IDIOTS....

Sheep will eat the grass down to almost the dirt in a hurry, we use electric netting for the sheep, we do rotational grazing with our sheep in our yard, road sides ect, they don't get to go in the cow pastures , an uncle tried it and there wasn't anything left for the cow's, our sheep are hair sheep and they will stand up on their hind legs to get to a vine that we have that grows up the trees, can't remember what it's called right now. We Also have goats, in poly wire 5 strands where it's the only fence, 2to3 if it's staggered with barbed wire, the barbed wire acts as a ground. They're Meat Goats. Goats don't care for grass, also them and cattle Don't have the same kind of parasites, so you can run them together.

Sheep are called "range maggots" around here for a reason.they will distroy an area if left too long. Will eat every bit of green and keep going
Goats have replaced sheep around here for the most part. Some around me have claimed they can make more money per acre with goats than cattle.

Sheep are called "range maggots" around here for a reason.they will distroy an area if left too long. Will eat every bit of green and keep going
Goats have replaced sheep around here for the most part. Some around me have claimed they can make more money per acre with goats than cattle.
All livestock will do the same thing if not managed properly.

Old-timers said they raised sheep for the money and cattle for respectability in the community. Wouldn't mind running some boer goats in the summer to take out weeds, but we have a lot of coyotes and I wouldn't want to have to gather them up every night.

Old-timers said they raised sheep for the money and cattle for respectability in the community. Wouldn't mind running some boer goats in the summer to take out weeds, but we have a lot of coyotes and I wouldn't want to have to gather them up every night.
What we do to teach our goat's to come in at night, is when we get them, we keep them locked up for the first week, and every evening we give them a little grain , so they get used to eating grain in their shed in the evening, then when you turn them loose they will come up every evening hoping for the grain and they get shut in, that way your not having to chase them down.

What we do to teach our goat's to come in at night, is when we get them, we keep them locked up for the first week, and every evening we give them a little grain , so they get used to eating grain in their shed in the evening, then when you turn them loose they will come up every evening hoping for the grain and they get shut in, that way your not having to chase them down.
That would work. But summer is when we finally can leave for a few days here and there and cows can go a few days without checking on them, so not really in the cards without lining up someone to do it.

Latest posts