another down cow, least I know what to do.

Help Support CattleToday:

Toby...I can't answer any of your questions...but you deserve a pat on the back. Your questions and actions appear to contain years of experience.

HerefordSire":2gz4dl8d said:
Toby...I can't answer any of your questions...but you deserve a pat on the back. Your questions and actions appear to contain years of experience.

Looks may be decieving. :D Of couse I would feel a lot better about myself if the calf makes it. But it is what it is, there's only so much that I can do about it.

Toby L.":3g6bv2lp said:
Looks may be decieving. :D Of couse I would feel a lot better about myself if the calf makes it. But it is what it is, there's only so much that I can do about it.
Amazing!! Wow and good on you! :clap: :tiphat:
I was scared just reading it!!

I would absolutely give the vitamin shots ~ I have really seen them make a difference, kinda like a kick in the shorts for those babies. I am inclined to say yes on the antibiotics, but am reluctant to advise at this point ~ after all this, I'd hate to be the one that screws it up.... :help:

Good luck, good job, and keep us updated!

for some reason we have always associated a yellow hoofed or a calf that comes out with yellow fluid as a calf understress. So get the vitamin shots. Here they are called A&d and E/sel. As well the temp would be good, and an extra shot of colostrum due to the stressed nature of the birth and not wanting failure of passive transfer.

What are the teeth like...out/ under the gums still? What was her BW?
You might find that if this calf is somewhat early, it might sleep alot. Keep her warm but not hot for a few days
Good job
RR

TobyL Way to go! :clap: :clap: I was wondering how it went. Nice looking calf.

I'd go ahead with the vitamins. Not sure I'd do the LA200. Keep her warm, encourage her to get up. See if she'll take a bottle before tubing her again.

Good luck with her. You/she made over the first hurdle.

Katherine

Thanks for the compliment's guy's. The calf is still alive, but she is shivering. My wife is going to get an electric blanket to get her warmed up. I havn't taken her temp. yet but that will be the next thing. I just gave her an other quart of colstrum, tubed her again. She is very weak, we are also going to get a turkey baster and try to clean out some of the crap in her nose. Her teeth are in I'm not sure how to decribe how far back they go, but it looks like she was just about ready to come out anyway. I'm just going to keep her body warm now, and that's about all I know what to do know.

I just took her temp. not even 94 degree's, wow, Try to get her warmed up, but not to fast.

Excellent job Toby!! We tried the same thing once, but lost the calf in the end. If I remember, the cow had gone into labour, but wouldn't dialate (old, crippled cow). Took us too long to find the calf, we didn't take into account gravity or guts. Calf was alive when we got it out but in never sat up. Yours looks much better than ours did.

You are doing pretty much everything you can right now. Got colostrum in it, got it dried up, and now warming it up. That is the biggest thing, once it is warmed up it will probably come around. Good Luck!!

She's up to 97 degree's now. I went in there and she picked her head up a little and her ear's are up and moving around. Seems like she getting stronger, and she was sucking on my wifes fingers. I think I'll give her a quart of milk replacer later on and she should be good for the night.

Toby L.":2d5tliuz said:
She's up to 97 degree's now. I went in there and she picked her head up a little and her ear's are up and moving around. Seems like she getting stronger, and she was sucking on my wifes fingers. I think I'll give her a quart of milk replacer later on and she should be good for the night.

That's good news! I like hearing that she sucked the fingers. Her next feeding she may take the bottle, may need a little assistance with it, but some more warm fluids can't hurt. If you have more colostrum I'd giver her some more of that. Besides the antibodies, it has a higher level of fat which will help give her more energy.

Good luck with her, keep us posted. Y'all have done a great job.

Katherine

I've been reading this thread from the beginning and what a story you have there. I wasn't going to weigh in with any advice because you are in great hands with those that have posted and their experience and knowledge is far greater than mine. I learned a lot from this thread for sure.

I will say that I was going to take the pony out for a ride today and as I was walking around all those frozen puddles I thought of you and your situation. Decided to forget it, didn't want either one of us going down like your cow did.

Hang in there and keep us posted.

Wow! What a drama.

Congratulations, Toby L. You had a very tough situation to deal with. Seems like you have made the best of it. Hope the calf hangs in there and grows up to be a good one.

Still no change with the calf, with the heat blanket on her we have her temp up to 100. She wouldn't take a bottle last night, she would try but acts lie she can't breath if she upright and sucking, she was knawing at it from the side, but wasn't getting any milk. so we tubed her agian last night, and my wife tubed her agian this morning. My wife looked something up on the internet called weak calf syndrom. Basically the calf didn't get enough protien from the cow, was stressed, and premature. She said all that we can do is keep doing what we have been. It takes about 3 days till death. Maybe we should up her intake of milk repalcer to 2 quarts at a time, twice a day with 1 quart at lunch time. I'm going to call the vet in a little while to see what he has to say about the situation. But you would think that the calf would have to be pretty weak if it can't even maintian body temp in a 70 degree inveroment.

Toby, sounds like your doing all you can. The calf appears to be near term. And for sure a very weak calf. It's good that the calf tries to suck. There are some good products to help boost the nutrients weak calves need. Go to a farm supply store and look for the packets. Not expensive a couple bucks usually to make 2 quarts. Several companies make them. Vitamins, proteins and minerals. Electrolytes and medicated milk replacer. Look on the labels fiend one that says something like restores fluids and added nutrients in young calves. Give it a couple meals of that then go to the medicated milk re placer, will help fight off possible diseases.

Do you have a L&M Fleet supply store near you? or a Mills? They have tons of that stuff.

Vet say's to try to get her some electrolits in her, maybe some vitamins. Not much more that I can do now. Instead of giving her 1 quart of the milk replacer that I can up it to 2 quarts at a time, and some of the guy's even give them a whole gallon for their first meal, I always thought that would be to much. I'm going to run to L&M and see what they have, maybe I'm just not getting enough into her at a time to do any good, but I just didn't want toget her to much. That seems like my only option. The vet also said that some of the guy's will give them a steroid shot, but he doen't seem to think that it's as effective as people say it is.

If you haven;t already, I would give her a shot of BoSE. May not do anything, but it can;t hurt and I've seen some unbelievable results from it in weak calves.

dun":2ct2qfcu said:
If you haven;t already, I would give her a shot of BoSE. May not do anything, but it can;t hurt and I've seen some unbelievable results from it in weak calves.

I can't find Bose anywhere, is it a complex vitamine,do I have to get it from a vet?
Hindsight 20/20, I should have gave to cow a shot of dex like we were talking about. Even though I was'nt sure when we were going to do the c- section, but I think even the 14 hours that she would have had the drug in her would have helped.
I was at the fleet store, there are about 5 different electrolit supplements, didn't know which was the best. I did some comparing and bought some Advance Arrest, it's an energy supplement with electrolites. It's hard to tell which ones the best with the packaging trying to sell you there product.
I just gave her an other quart of milk replacer, and in fifteen minutes I'm going to mix up a pack of this supplement with 2 quarts of warm water, as per instruction.

Toby I started reading your story last night. You have done a great job, hope your calf makes it.
One thing I will tell you,if you are going to tube that calf just one qt. at a time. You will need to feed it every couple of hours. She will not get enough to eat. Or feed it 2qts. at a time 3 times a day. Maybe since this is an early calf stick with the 1 qt. every couple of hours for the first week. Call your vet and get a shot of BO-SE also you can give her a shot of B-12. I use a supplement called RE-SORB it's an electolyte product. I use it because you can use it with milk.
Is the calf standing at all ? I know she is in your house ,but can you walk her ? Just standing will help her. One thing do not let her lay in one position all day and night. Turn her over every 4-6 hours.