another Crabgrass question

Help Support CattleToday:

fenceman

Reaction score
Been a lot of talk about Crabgrass lately. Here's my question.
I seeded just under 30 acres with quick and big Crabgrass this spring. Two pastures. My first experience with Crabgrass.
These pastures are normally double cropped. Summer and winter annuals. My goal is to get away from having to till and plant in the spring. That's why I chose the Crabgrass.
The Crabgrass has made seed, and the cows are on it now. It's also getting near the time to start tilling for oats. We usually plant around the end of August.
My average first frost is October 15.
So my question is, if I chisel up the pasture s in the next couple of weeks. Do I risk my seed bank sprouting and being lost to frost.

skyhightree1":p5ypl82u said:
why not graze it short then broadcast costs then lightly disk the oats in

It'll get grazed short. It would be best to do that twice and get a later seed crop.
My soil on this part of the place is heavy tight clay. The cows spend most of the winter when it's wet in there packing the shyt out of it. It dries and becomes like concrete.
A good deep chisel is needed at least once a year.
My best option is to go buy a new big green tractor that will do the job in a weekend. Then I can wait till the last minute to pull the trigger. I have my sights set on buying more land. I 'll try to get buy with my worn out little tractors. :lol2: . But that means I must start soon.
I always drill my oats, never have tried discing them in.

Fenceman, Some of the work up at the Noble Foundation used a rotation similar to what you want. They let the crabgrass go to seed in August. They then disked land and planted cereal rye in September. That planted next years crabgrass crop..

fenceman":2alhnebd said:
skyhightree1":2alhnebd said:
why not graze it short then broadcast costs then lightly disk the oats in

It'll get grazed short. It would be best to do that twice and get a later seed crop.
My soil on this part of the place is heavy tight clay. The cows spend most of the winter when it's wet in there packing the shyt out of it. It dries and becomes like concrete.
A good deep chisel is needed at least once a year.
My best option is to go buy a new big green tractor that will do the job in a weekend. Then I can wait till the last minute to pull the trigger. I have my sights set on buying more land. I 'll try to get buy with my worn out little tractors. :lol2: . But that means I must start soon.
I always drill my oats, never have tried discing them in.

I gotcha.. Yea you can broadcast them and leave them or me i like broadcast and lightly discing. I have sandy loam soil.

I have Q&B crabgrass and plant oats in the fall like you are wanting to do.. You have to be careful not to disk too deep or you will cover the crabgrass seed too deep and it will not come up next spring. Also, if you disc in August and get rain, some of the seed will sprout and you will get a mixture of oats and new crabgrass until frost kills the crabgrass. This happened to me last year, was enough time that the crabgrass put out another seed crop (even though was not tall as normal), and came up this spring. I could see where if you did not get rain until late, or had an early frost that you would lose that seed. However, there is enough hard seed that you would likely not have to replant the crabgrass.

CJohnson":4wrng0kv said:
I have Q&B crabgrass and plant oats in the fall like you are wanting to do.. You have to be careful not to disk too deep or you will cover the crabgrass seed too deep and it will not come up next spring. Also, if you disc in August and get rain, some of the seed will sprout and you will get a mixture of oats and new crabgrass until frost kills the crabgrass. This happened to me last year, was enough time that the crabgrass put out another seed crop (even though was not tall as normal), and came up this spring. I could see where if you did not get rain until late, or had an early frost that you would lose that seed. However, there is enough hard seed that you would likely not have to replant the crabgrass.
You know this is kinda what I envisioned. I kinda think it would be desirable to have a stand of Crabgrass come in with the oats. And unless we get a unusually early frost , there should be time for a second seed crop.
I've hedged my bets I started chiseling this morning.I'm skipping every third swath. I 'll go back and hit them at the last minute. :lol2:
Thanks Fenceman :tiphat:

Latest posts