Another bull to judge

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod- I agree with you on the bulls body shape and build being a big factor on heifer calving ease...I used two bulls on hiefers last year- one is throwing 70-80lb calves ( just perfect)- but the other is throwing 80-90+ lb calves out of the heifers ( had one the other day that was 94lbs)---But they are coming with no problem because of the body shape- long, slim shoulders and bodies, little headed, thin legged...They must just squirt out because I have yet to see a heifer calving and I like to check them every two to three hours......

DiamondScattle wrote:I swung my brush pretty wide when I hacked on the kids coming out of University, and should not have. If my brush splattered someone it should not have, I apologize. I've also known plenty of old time cattlemen that couldn't properly appraise an animal either. I wish that schools were teaching more visual appraisal techniques however.

I agree with you 110% that some more visual appraisal needs to be taught. I agree with your assessment and appreciate your comments and opinions and your ability to do so constructively. Seems that there is a bit of a spitting match going on in the posts right now about a lack of constructive criticism. Hopefully that can and will change soon.

Thanks

Latest posts