Another bottle calf problem?!

Help Support CattleToday:

Fdltcwgrl

Reaction score
I have a 2 month old calf that had been doing super healthy happy all that good stuff and this morning he acted like he couldn't find the bottle kinda wobbly and just kind of lost looking got him hooked on and he drank a while bottle.
Then tonight he was laying under a truck got him up and he was just totally lost got him hooked on to the bottle then he drank a whole bottle he acts like there is something going on neurological...what should I do?

If he has access to vehicles/machinery I would wonder about lead poisoning. Remember that anything neurologic you need to be concerned about rabies. I would get a vet involved.

That would be great but I can't get anybody till tuesday!! So I'm just trying to help him out till then :(

You do need a vet.. But sounds like beginning of pneumonia I had same issue with jerseys doing that take his temperature. I have also had a calf get rabies

I've had a calf that had rabies. At the time i was trying to get it to eat feed. So i was sticking my hand in his mouth to put a bit of feed for him to chew on. Had no idea he had rabies, his health just dwindled. We knew it might be rabies because he was locked up with a blind dog who also was bitten by the rabid skunk. The dog did show weird signs, enough for us to take her to the vet as she was dying. If we had not had this blind dog with the calf, i would have not even suspected rabies in the calf and i would have died of rabies.
The calf just quit eating and got weak. But since i had stopped giving it a bottle, i was shoving feed into his mouth. We did send both heads off and both tested positive...If the OP's calf had rabies, it would be dead by now...

Typical rabies symptoms in cattle are: limping, drooling and vocalisation (but this doesn't mean every rabies case will display all these signs).

Once neurological signs start, the animal may survive up to 10 days, but most die before the 10 days are up.

As others have stated, taking the temperature is an important step in determining the cause of the problem. Above 39.5 C or 103 F, the calf has a fever and most of the time the problem is an infectious cause (and use of antibiotics are justified). Below those values, usually, the cause is not infectious.

There are of course exeptions, but it is hard to evaluate this without eyes on the ground.

He's doing better not as wobbly and appetite is back up to 2 bottles of milk a day and electrolytes at lunch.
He acts like he is losing his vision. Got a call in to the vet and we are headed in this afternoon.
Maybe thymin deficient?

Fdltcwgrl":175821dj said:
He's doing better not as wobbly and appetite is back up to 2 bottles of milk a day and electrolytes at lunch.
He acts like he is losing his vision. Got a call in to the vet and we are headed in this afternoon.
Maybe thymin deficient?

I guess if you're going to the vet today he will have all the answers to your questions

Latest posts