Annoying Typos

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":rfavh3e2 said:
Craig-TX":rfavh3e2 said:
One of the more irritating misusages found on these boards is steer. Pickup trucks and tractors are steered. A team is driven. Bull calves are castrated, pinched, banded, cut, docked, etc. They are never steered.

Craig-TX

Now this is the truth. Steered must be one of them new Hobby rancher terms. Sure makes it easy to pick out the cattlemen. I almost forgot you need a bunch of these also. :D :D

Well, did you ever cut your foot?

msscamp":1ngvfogj said:
9 ER":1ngvfogj said:
I wouldn't let these things bothering y'all to much. Don't you know that most cattlemen only have what is percieved to be a 6th grade education anyway? :lol: They didn't have the educational opportunities that some of us were lucky enough to get. They had to work to help the family. Water had to be fetched, wood had to be cut, cows had to be milked, etc, etc, etc. These folks do more work before 8:00 AM than most of us do all day. They are the backbone of this country and should be respected as such.:cboy:

I resent the h#%% out of that statement, 9 ER. My Dad didn't have the opportunity to get an "education", but he would not be caught dead using improper English. I suspect there are quite a few other people on these boards that share his viewpoints. He always taught me that you only get one chance to make a first impression, and good English is a big part of that. The lack of an opportunity for an education does not mean that a person has to sacrifice the proper use of the English language.
Lighten up Frances! It was a joke. Hence the "laughing" smiley face(emoticons).
Oh yea, I almost forgot. I bet my dad can whip your dad! lol
Before you get your panties in a wad about the "my dad" comment. That was also a joke. In case you didn't know, "lol" means "Laugh Out Loud". You know, "Ha!Ha!". Just thought that I should explain it to you since you dont understand the emoticons.

9 ER":2cnywwto said:
I wouldn't let these things bothering y'all to much. Don't you know that most cattlemen only have what is percieved to be a 6th grade education anyway? :lol: They didn't have the educational opportunities that some of us were lucky enough to get. They had to work to help the family. :

That's why I let some of the older folks off easy when I see typos / misused grammar, but what gets me is when we have young kids, high schoolers, some even college educated folks on here butchering up the English language! There's no reason for anyone with a high school education to misuse the language. Spelling mistakes I can see, as most of us in here type quicker than we should and hardly ever proofread our posts, but it's the constant misuse that gets my crawl working.

But if I weighted for it to get better, I'd be weighting forever! ;-) :cboy:

I'm siding with msscamp. I'm not naming names but English should always be capitalized. I wasn't a staight A English student by a long shot.

9 ER":yqor55d5 said:
msscamp":yqor55d5 said:
9 ER":yqor55d5 said:
I wouldn't let these things bothering y'all to much. Don't you know that most cattlemen only have what is percieved to be a 6th grade education anyway? :lol: They didn't have the educational opportunities that some of us were lucky enough to get. They had to work to help the family. Water had to be fetched, wood had to be cut, cows had to be milked, etc, etc, etc. These folks do more work before 8:00 AM than most of us do all day. They are the backbone of this country and should be respected as such.:cboy:

I resent the h#%% out of that statement, 9 ER. My Dad didn't have the opportunity to get an "education", but he would not be caught dead using improper English. I suspect there are quite a few other people on these boards that share his viewpoints. He always taught me that you only get one chance to make a first impression, and good English is a big part of that. The lack of an opportunity for an education does not mean that a person has to sacrifice the proper use of the English language.
Before you get your panties in a wad about the "my dad" comment. That was also a joke. In case you didn't know, "lol" means "Laugh Out Loud". You know, "Ha!Ha!". Just thought that I should explain it to you since you dont understand the emoticons.

Some things are not 'joking' matters, and, as a teacher, you should know that. Based on your original post, as well as reply, I should assume that you think the rampant number of cases of people in this country that are under-educated, illiterate, and, even ignorant is a joke? Is that what you are telling me? Lighten up my foot!! People struggle with these things every day. They affect every venue of an individual's life. That is not a laughing matter. The next time the urge to 'joke around' strikes you, I would suggest engaging brain BEFORE mouth!

msscamp":2dfbkiq4 said:
9 ER":2dfbkiq4 said:
msscamp":2dfbkiq4 said:
9 ER":2dfbkiq4 said:

Some things are not 'joking' matters, and, as a teacher, you should know that. Based on your reply, I should assume the rampant number of people in this country that are under-educated, illiterate, and, even ignorant is a joke? Is that what you are telling me? Lighten up my foot!! People struggle with these things every day. They affect every venue of an individual's life. That is not a laughing matter. The next time the urge to 'joke around' strikes you, I would suggest engaging brain BEFORE mouth!
What I think if funny is you guys getting all bent out shape because of grammer and typing errors on this board. If you are gonna judge people on this board, judge them on their knowledge of cattle or willingness to learn. Not by their use of the English language or typing abilities. Am I supposed to judge you based on your inability to use commas properly?
Under-educated? Is that really a word?

9 ER":1qukf6r7 said:
msscamp":1qukf6r7 said:
msscamp":1qukf6r7 said:

Some things are not 'joking' matters, and, as a teacher, you should know that. Based on your reply, I should assume the rampant number of people in this country that are under-educated, illiterate, and, even ignorant is a joke? Is that what you are telling me? Lighten up my foot!! People struggle with these things every day. They affect every venue of an individual's life. That is not a laughing matter. The next time the urge to 'joke around' strikes you, I would suggest engaging brain BEFORE mouth!
What I think if funny is you guys getting all bent out shape because of grammer and typing errors on this board. If you are gonna judge people on this board, judge them on their knowledge of cattle or willingness to learn. Not by their use of the English language or typing abilities. Am I supposed to judge you based on your inability to use commas properly?
Under-educated? Is that really a word?

You are not worth the energy it would take to respond.

preston39":2lkzgjs6 said:
Good thread!

This fits;
==========

I'm from Kentucky and I know;

Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their
feet in the air.

There are 5000 types of snakes, and 4998 live in Kentucky.

There are 10,000 types of spiders.
All 10,000 live in Kentucky, plus a couple that nobody
has seen before.

Squirrels will eat anything.

Unknown critters love to dig holes under tomato plants.

Raccoons will test your crop of melons and let you know when they are
ripe.

If it grows, it sticks; if it crawls, it bites.

A tractor is NOT an all-terrain vehicle.
They do get stuck.

Onced and Twiced are words.

It is not a shopping cart, it is a buggy.

upanunder means underneath.

People actually grow and eat okra.

"Fixinto" is one word...and it may mean now or later.

There ain't no such thing as "lunch." There's "dinner" and then there's
"supper."

Sweet tea is appropriate for all meals, and you start drinking
it when you're two.

"Backards and forwards" means, "I know everything about you."

"Jeet?" is actually a phrase meaning "Did you eat?"

You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter
what time it is.

You work until you're done or it's too dark to see.

You know you're from Kentucky if:..

1. You measure distance in minutes.

2. You've ever had to switch from heat to air conditioning in the same
day.

3. You see a car running in a store parking lot with no
one in it no matter what time of the year.

4. You use "fix" as a verb. Example: I'm fixinto go
to the store.

5. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit,
vegetable, grain, insect or animal.

6. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both
unlocked.

7. You carry jumper cables in your car... for your OWN car.

8. You know what "cow tipping" is.

9. You only own four spices: salt, pepper, hot sauce and catsup.

10. The local papers cover national and international news
on one page and six pages for local gossip and sports.

11. You think that the first day of deer season is a
national holiday.

12. You find 90 degrees Fahrenheit "a little warm."

13. You know all four seasons: almost summer, summer,
still summer, and Christmas.

14. Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time known as
"Goin' Wal-martin" or "Off to ' Wally World'."

15. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees)
as good Soup Bean weather.

16. A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola, or pop...
it's a Coke or a Pepsi, regardless of brand or flavor.
Example: "What kinna coke you want?"

17. Fried Catfish is the other white meat.

18. You know what lard is.

19. You understand these and forward them to your friends from KY. (and
those who just wish they were).
And you just might ba a Red Neck LOL

Caustic Burno":13q9k9xv said:
Now this is the truth. Steered must be one of them new Hobby rancher terms. Sure makes it easy to pick out the cattlemen. I almost forgot you need a bunch of these also. :D :D

Well, did you ever cut your foot?[/quote]

I didn't think you would answer. If you had known what this means then your Hobby rancher comment would not have been made as real cattlemen have more respect for others. They may by 4th or 5th generation cattlemen like myself or 4th or 5th week beginners it doesn't matter. They all deserve the respect until they do something to loose it like you just did for me. Hell, I steer my bulls sometimes. If you came down south with your fancy terms and proper grammar well lets just say you would make some folks smile.

It is easy to hide behind a computer screen and make snide remarks and belittle others. Remember at some time we were all beginners.

As far as msscamp comments go, I agree there are certain things that are just not joked about. I told you all earlier that my Dad had a 6th grade education. I would like to see some of you so called cattle experts do with your life what he has done with his with nothing more than a 6th grade education, a strong back, and willingness to work hard. No inheritance, no mom and pop to help out, just get out and make it on your own.

I have a friend that manages his mom and pops 15,000+ cattle operation here. He treats everyone from the 1 cow pet owner to those with operations as big as his with the same respect. The first time I met him I thought "this guy doesn't want to mess with my little operation", but I was wrong. He bent over backward to help and make me feel welcome. I think there are many who could take a lesson from this young college graduate without an attitude.

Grammar, who needs it. I put my son through college and his major was journalism. If I want write something pretty, I will have him do it. I would rather work my ranch.

If these comments offend anyone I really don't care. I am here to learn more and different ways of doing a better job.

I personally would not type anything on this board that I would not say to someone's face.

I just have to Butt in here a minute. I deal with Folks that can't read or write on a daily basis. I fill out their checks for them, they can sign their names and that's it. They could probably buy this County. I have the highest degree of respect for them.They are the Salt of the Earth, and have fought in Wars, Farmed, worked in Factories, etc.
They have knowledge in Cattle, farming and Life in general that you wont find in any book. If they had the skills they would probably be right here on these boards, sharing the wealth of information they have. They share it with me, and I've learned a lot. I've learned a lot from many of you here too.
What I'm trying to say is it's easy to jump on someone for a quote or a term they use, and I'm guilty of it myself. I type better than I speak, being raised and Living in the South all my Life.I'm in a typical conversation, and far from grammar being perfect, and it does not bother me. We all come from different geographical areas, where things are termed differently. I here it from folks at our Feed Company that have moved here from all over the USA. I here the term Steered even from some of the Locals here. Cut from others, different uses of words from different folks. Some folks like myself, have never had typing lessons, some speak from their minds, how it sounds or how they were raised to say it. I say it brings on a certain Character, I can picture some of you probably look like old Cowpokes sitting at your puter' smokin a Backwoods cigar, others of you wear a Stetson, and drive King ranch Ford dually. Some of you wear a Coat and Tie,5 days a week, and wear a pair Of Bibs on the weekend.Or like me I thow on Levi's or Wrangler's and a Tee Shirt, and I'm good to go. Whatever you do, or wherever you come from, I'm going to try and respect you, and if you need advice, try to give it to you, along witha bunch of others here willing to help. Hope I did not ramble too long or stray from what I was trying to say. P.C.

Crowderfarms":2ug8gxhq said:
I just have to Butt in here a minute. I deal with Folks that can't read or write on a daily basis. I fill out their checks for them, they can sign their names and that's it. They could probably buy this County. I have the highest degree of respect for them.They are the Salt of the Earth, and have fought in Wars, Farmed, worked in Factories, etc.
They have knowledge in Cattle, farming and Life in general that you wont find in any book. If they had the skills they would probably be right here on these boards, sharing the wealth of information they have. They share it with me, and I've learned a lot. I've learned a lot from many of you here too.
What I'm trying to say is it's easy to jump on someone for a quote or a term they use, and I'm guilty of it myself. We all come from different geographical areas, where things are termed differently. I here it from folks at our Feed Company that have moved here from all over the USA. I here the term Steered even from some of the Locals here. Cut from others, different uses of words from different folks. Some folks like myself, have never had typing lessons, some speak from their minds, how it sounds or how they were raised to say it. I say it brings on a certain Character, I can picture some of you probably look like old Cowpokes sitting at your puter' smokin a Backwoods cigar, others of you wear a Stetson, and drive King ranch Ford dually. Some of you wear a Coat and Tie,5 days a week, and wear a pair Of Bibs on the weekend.Whatever you do, or wherever you come from, I'm going to try and respect you, and if you need advice, try to give it to you, along witha bunch of others here willing to help. Hope I did not ramble too long or stray from what I was trying to say. P.C.

That's all we ask CF. Show a little respect. There was only one here that I singled out as looking down their nose.

Not standing up for what you believe was disrespect, but he's got some darn good info. and know's what he's talking about. I might get pushed off the fence, but He's one of the ones I think sits at his keyboard with a Backwoods in his mouth. He's got serious Cowsense IMHO.

Crowderfarms":388ngum6 said:
Not standing up for what you believe was disrespect, but he's got some darn good info. and know's what he's talking about. I might get pushed off the fence, but He's one of the ones I think sits at his keyboard with a Backwoods in his mouth. He's got serious Cowsense IMHO.

Quite frankly I don't care if he owns King Ranch. If he wants to make his snide remarks, then he needs to do it in the Coffee Shop. Not the first time I have seen this from him. From what I have seen I have to disagree. He sounds like a cowboy wannabe who knows how to search the web. I may be wrong and have been many times but until proven otherwise he has lost my respect. I don't like to judge people. Keyboard stokes sometimes comes across differently than the spoken word. I probably wouldn't even have done him the honor of replying to his comment if a bull hadn't busted up my knee yesterday. Pain sometimes makes me ornery. Now I get to sit for a while and let it heal back up.

Crowderfarms":3tl5qbdp said:
What I'm trying to say is it's easy to jump on someone for a quote or a term they use, and I'm guilty of it myself. I type better than I speak, being raised and Living in the South all my Life.I'm in a typical conversation, and far from grammar being perfect, and it does not bother me. We all come from different geographical areas, where things are termed differently. I here it from folks at our Feed Company that have moved here from all over the USA. I here the term Steered even from some of the Locals here. Cut from others, different uses of words from different folks. Some folks like myself, have never had typing lessons, some speak from their minds, how it sounds or how they were raised to say it. I say it brings on a certain Character, I can picture some of you probably look like old Cowpokes sitting at your puter' smokin a Backwoods cigar, others of you wear a Stetson, and drive King ranch Ford dually. Some of you wear a Coat and Tie,5 days a week, and wear a pair Of Bibs on the weekend.Or like me I thow on Levi's or Wrangler's and a Tee Shirt, and I'm good to go. Whatever you do, or wherever you come from, I'm going to try and respect you, and if you need advice, try to give it to you, along witha bunch of others here willing to help. Hope I did not ramble too long or stray from what I was trying to say. P.C.
Crowderfarms
Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:15 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crowder you took the words right out of my mouth aand said them better than I couldhave. I couldn't agree more.

flaboy":1yh3udla said:
Caustic Burno":1yh3udla said:

Well, did you ever cut your foot?

I didn't think you would answer. If you had known what this means then your Hobby rancher comment would not have been made as real cattlemen have more respect for others. They may by 4th or 5th generation cattlemen like myself or 4th or 5th week beginners it doesn't matter. They all deserve the respect until they do something to loose it like you just did for me. Hell, I steer my bulls sometimes. If you came down south with your fancy terms and proper grammar well lets just say you would make some folks smile.

It is easy to hide behind a computer screen and make snide remarks and belittle others. Remember at some time we were all beginners.

As far as msscamp comments go, I agree there are certain things that are just not joked about. I told you all earlier that my Dad had a 6th grade education. I would like to see some of you so called cattle experts do with your life what he has done with his with nothing more than a 6th grade education, a strong back, and willingness to work hard. No inheritance, no mom and pop to help out, just get out and make it on your own.

I have a friend that manages his mom and pops 15,000+ cattle operation here. He treats everyone from the 1 cow pet owner to those with operations as big as his with the same respect. The first time I met him I thought "this guy doesn't want to mess with my little operation", but I was wrong. He bent over backward to help and make me feel welcome. I think there are many who could take a lesson from this young college graduate without an attitude.

Grammar, who needs it. I put my son through college and his major was journalism. If I want write something pretty, I will have him do it. I would rather work my ranch.

If these comments offend anyone I really don't care. I am here to learn more and different ways of doing a better job.

I personally would not type anything on this board that I would not say to someone's face.[/quote]

Some of us have a ranch to run which is a one man operation and can't set at a computer all day.
You sound jealous or mad. If you can't take people disagreeing with you are in trouble. I freely admit I don't know what your colloqualism is refering to. If it means the same thing as you stepped on an axe, what some are full of. Heck I had never heard the term heiferette until I read it in a post on this board. I recall you dogging hobby ranchers for the size of thier tractors. Little one way huh.
Have a great day

Crowderfarms":3u4ll025 said:

He does have cow sence, in more than just your opinion C.P.

flaboy":3u4ll025 said:
He sounds like a cowboy wannabe who knows how to search the web.
HaHa that is a good one. He ain't anymore puter literate than that backwoods he smokes.

I don't like to judge people.
Coulda fooled me seeing you never met the man you are trying to corner. Let me tell ya. He don't play opossum when you come at him with a stick. Believe me I know. :shock: Big brothers are mean.

Keyboard stokes sometimes comes across differently than the spoken word.

You are right. And I will be the first to tell ya he is a pompous jerk. But I am kin and can say that stuff. YOU cannot.

AND FOR THE RECORD...Caustic will definatally say the same thing to your face that he says here.

Latest posts