Annoying Typos

Help Support CattleToday:

Ha ha ha, I have seen this topic on EVERY board I have ever been on. Everyone getting in tiffs about other people's grammar. It is great fun to read though :) I should dig up the post from one of the other forums, pretty much covered everything here. But I agree that quality information is far more important than quality grammar. A grammar Nazi who doesn't know the front end of a cow from the rear end in my opinion is a lot worse than someone who maybe has a few typos but has quality facts to share.

Ha ha ha, so long as I never see the word "cattel" again I will be fine :lol:

TCFC

J Baxter":fdiec210 said:
Hmmmm.....I would reckon that if proper english was a necessity that our government would require it before they admitted you to the country.

Or the presidency! :) Incorrect spelling, improper english, and a lack of proofreading do make some of the posts very hard to read sometimes. Not meaning to come down on anyone, but these boards are a wealth of information and I, personally, would like to know I'm reading what has been/is being said correctly rather than have to interpret and possibly get it wrong. Just my experience and thoughts.

I think a lot of it has to do with location and age. The old boys around here steer their bulls. The old boys also call anything black with a white face a baldy, whether its a blaze face, a brockle, a moon face, or a black/white face. It's all the same to them. Also the term "running age cows" some don't break it down to a solid mouth, short solid, broken, or smooth mouth. If it's old they call it running age. Head gate is a catch, a chute, a block, etc. It's not so much grammer I don't think.

geez guys, didnt mean to get your panties in a wad. and i didnt mean for it to come across as me complaining about it either, i was just curious as to what sort of typos and/or misuses you all pick up on the most. heaven forbid anyone try to make conversation anymore. i think the poster who said that most people know correct usage and just dont care is probably right on.

GaPrime, i swear i know how to use sell and sale correctly, b/c i also pick up on that one a lot too. i'll be the first to admit i'm a careless poster.

my cow is for sale.
i'm going to sell my cow.
i went to the cow sale.
its time to set sail.
mama is in jail cell 42.

Good thread!

This fits;
==========

I'm from Kentucky and I know;

Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their
feet in the air.

There are 5000 types of snakes, and 4998 live in Kentucky.

There are 10,000 types of spiders.
All 10,000 live in Kentucky, plus a couple that nobody
has seen before.

Squirrels will eat anything.

Unknown critters love to dig holes under tomato plants.

Raccoons will test your crop of melons and let you know when they are
ripe.

If it grows, it sticks; if it crawls, it bites.

A tractor is NOT an all-terrain vehicle.
They do get stuck.

Onced and Twiced are words.

It is not a shopping cart, it is a buggy.

upanunder means underneath.

People actually grow and eat okra.

"Fixinto" is one word...and it may mean now or later.

There ain't no such thing as "lunch." There's "dinner" and then there's
"supper."

Sweet tea is appropriate for all meals, and you start drinking
it when you're two.

"Backards and forwards" means, "I know everything about you."

"Jeet?" is actually a phrase meaning "Did you eat?"

You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter
what time it is.

You work until you're done or it's too dark to see.

You know you're from Kentucky if:..

1. You measure distance in minutes.

2. You've ever had to switch from heat to air conditioning in the same
day.

3. You see a car running in a store parking lot with no
one in it no matter what time of the year.

4. You use "fix" as a verb. Example: I'm fixinto go
to the store.

5. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit,
vegetable, grain, insect or animal.

6. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both
unlocked.

7. You carry jumper cables in your car... for your OWN car.

8. You know what "cow tipping" is.

9. You only own four spices: salt, pepper, hot sauce and catsup.

10. The local papers cover national and international news
on one page and six pages for local gossip and sports.

11. You think that the first day of deer season is a
national holiday.

12. You find 90 degrees Fahrenheit "a little warm."

13. You know all four seasons: almost summer, summer,
still summer, and Christmas.

14. Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time known as
"Goin' Wal-martin" or "Off to ' Wally World'."

15. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees)
as good Soup Bean weather.

16. A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola, or pop...
it's a Coke or a Pepsi, regardless of brand or flavor.
Example: "What kinna coke you want?"

17. Fried Catfish is the other white meat.

18. You know what lard is.

19. You understand these and forward them to your friends from KY. (and
those who just wish they were).

Bama":1e4xvign said:
I'll admit I'm the worlds worse when it comes to typos. Quite frankly I don't bother to correct it. Most of the time when I'm posting it's between jobs at work. I know it looks like I'm some hick with only a 2nd grade education. Actually, I've got quit an extensive education. I just don't tend to use all of it. Proper english has not ranked very high on my list. It is only one position above washing the cat. To hear me talk is about like my typing. On the other hand I have to give a lot of speaches ( I'm sorry "speeches" ) I can speak corectly If I have a mind to. Most of the time I just don't have a mind to.
==============
bama,

Good summary.

I heard a guy once being taken to task about a word useage and he said......." I have an expensive and ektensive edumication and I refuse to over use it and wear it out".

I thunk I cen spell deacentily...I jost farget to do spiel chueck at timmes! :shock: :lol:

Craig-TX":3s4kyu72 said:
One of the more irritating misusages found on these boards is steer. Pickup trucks and tractors are steered. A team is driven. Bull calves are castrated, pinched, banded, cut, docked, etc. They are never steered.

Craig-TX

I thought bulls were steered because they were pointed in the right direction

dun

Wow. I guess you've just got to tiptoe around in here, exchanging niceties, or there'll be an ACLU lynch mob get up on their high horse to shoot you down. Really gets my nanny-goat. The point of this thread was totally lost and irrevocably misconstrued after Craig-Tx's post and there ain't no gettin' it back. Gone like yesterday, ain't never coming back. Let me give some of you guys a hint. Read posts more carefully and consider them longer before you make a reply.

Craig-TX":3nsxlekx said:
One of the more irritating misusages found on these boards is steer. Pickup trucks and tractors are steered. A team is driven. Bull calves are castrated, pinched, banded, cut, docked, etc. They are never steered.

Craig-TX

Now this is the truth. Steered must be one of them new Hobby rancher terms. Sure makes it easy to pick out the cattlemen. I almost forgot you need a bunch of these also. :D :D

Ryder":30fbewst said:
Over use of ellipsis [...]. This is used to indicate that something has been left out. I can't figure out what or why something is left out. Very frustrating to read. A simple sentence would usually be better.

Oh good lord.....picky! picky!!!!
my only peeve is misspelling!! I simply cringe when i see things spelled incorrectly....especially when it was ME doing the typing!!! :D :shock: ;-)

i thought this fit in rather well with this topic. yes, this is the way its supposed to look.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

4-H fanatic":1afhz8z5 said:
Ya i agree with yu ranch wife i dont liek spelling mistakes but typos i mean learn how to read them!!
==========
4H,

How does one tell a typo from a mistake in posts? Is it a typo or a mis-spelling when a word is used and we see...oh...a.... when it should have been.... s...based on the key board and...t..... when it should have been r ...or.... y. I see words mispelled(including mine :( )...and am sure the poster knew how to spell it..but, just hit the wrong key and didn't notice it before posting.

Tolerance of our fellow man is suggested. :) Often our efforts of perfection alludes us in written form of communications...i guess :roll:

No a typo is a commonly misused word and a spelling error is simply that. I personally dont care i always talk on here using MSN "slang" if thats what you call it.

preston39":3pwzgq81 said:
4-H fanatic":3pwzgq81 said:
Ya i agree with yu ranch wife i dont liek spelling mistakes but typos i mean learn how to read them!!
==========
4H,

How does one tell a typo from a mistake in posts? Is it a typo or a mis-spelling when a word is used and we see...oh...a.... when it should have been.... s...based on the key board and...t..... when it should have been r ...or.... y. I see words mispelled(including mine :( )...and am sure the poster knew how to spell it..but, just hit the wrong key and didn't notice it before posting.

Tolerance of our fellow man is suggested. :) Often our efforts of perfection alludes us in written form of communications...i guess :roll:

Yup....to both of you. Our society in general is way to intolerant of our own shortcomings as humans!! Thanks for the humble reminder! ;-)

to add to that no one is perfect so learn to live with it if every one was perfect it would get boring there would be no stupid mistakes to laf at....

Think we all make typos, misspell stuff, use bad grammar, blah, blah, blah from time to time. I'd personally like to see everybody use the "Preview" function Macon provides for us to help with that. Doesn't hurt any of us to try to excel with our grammar or spelling. All of us can stand some improvements.

That said, I can tolerate the typos and stuff better than I can tolerate the 30 post-a-day-posters. They seem to come and go, but it always seems like it takes forever to get to the "go" part.

ga. prime":izp8ouxe said:
Wow. I guess you've just got to tiptoe around in here, exchanging niceties, or there'll be an ACLU lynch mob get up on their high horse to shoot you down. Really gets my nanny-goat. The point of this thread was totally lost and irrevocably misconstrued after Craig-Tx's post and there ain't no gettin' it back. Gone like yesterday, ain't never coming back. Let me give some of you guys a hint. Read posts more carefully and consider them longer before you make a reply.

Not sure I get what you mean.

Craig-TX

To be honest, I could care less how someone writes. I am sure there are a lot like me that should be doing something else than sitting at the computer. Most of the time I have about fifteen minutes to see what is going on. I could blow 12 of them proof reading and re-doing what I wrote.
We had a manager at work that had no business being a manager and he had no idea what was going on. He would post letters on the board to the employees that he typed. We didn't care what he said, it was how he said it. ( OK, we were bored) The man would type: "The time have came." "Everyone needs to bees here on time." Then someone would come in there with a red pencil and correct his letters and give him a grade on it. Actually, that was a lot funnier than what he wrote. Sometimes he would make a C and sometimes a D-. The company finally had to invest into a sealed board with plexi-glass over it. I noticed that someone must have been typing his letters for him after that.

Latest posts