Reaction score
What typos get on your nerves the most? here are my top 4:

1) improper use of the word "an"

Annoying Cattle Typos
2) Utter
wrong: my cow's utters...
correct: my cow's udder...

3) my cow heard..
correct: my cow heard the bell and came a'running.
or my cow herd consists of ...
but please, no more "starting my cow heard"

4) my cows are bread
ok look, if your cows are bread i guess thats what you would call a meatloaf.
if your cows have been serviced by a bull or Ai'd they were bred. a cow can be bred and not be pregnant though.

Over use of ellipsis [...]. This is used to indicate that something has been left out. I can't figure out what or why something is left out. Very frustrating to read. A simple sentence would usually be better.

Isn't a typo when you hit the wrong key accidentally? Except for No. 1, which you properly labeled "improper use", what you have listed are simply misspelled words. And they are misspelled a lot on these boards.

Improperly used words that I notice quite a bit on these boards:

1) sell, sale. Sell is a verb, (sold is the past tense.) Sale is a noun. (I've seen you misuse this one, Beefy). Correct example: I'm going to sell my cow. I'm going to the cow sale.

2) to, too. To is a preposition meaning toward or in the direction of. Too is an adverb meaning also. Correct example: I'm going to the cow sale. My wife wants to go too.

Beefy, I think most people probably know how to use these words, but they either don't care if they get them right or not, or just don't take time to proofread and edit their posts. Which brings up another often improperly used word(along with its homonyms): their, there, and they're. That one's just too remedial for me to even get started on.

Off the subject, something I wish people wouldn't do is quote pics of previous posters. Totally unnecessary. My computer is slow. It's connected to a phone line that was laid in WWII. It takes long enough to load the original pics. But, when they have to be loaded two or three additional times because somebody used the pics in a quote, I just go to another topic and don't get to see any of the pics. That's aggravating. Pics can be refered to without reprinting them.

Beefy":2tma0xbw said:
What typos get on your nerves the most? here are my top 4:

1) improper use of the word "an"

Annoying Cattle Typos
2) Utter
wrong: my cow's utters...
correct: my cow's udder...

3) my cow heard..
correct: my cow heard the bell and came a'running.
or my cow herd consists of ...
but please, no more "starting my cow heard"

4) my cows are bread
if your cows have been serviced by a bull or Ai'd they were bred. a cow can be bred and not be pregnant though.

Nuttin worst then an englise lesion on a cattle bored. I had hopped their would bee a speel checker butt I guess knot.

One of the more irritating misusages found on these boards is steer. Pickup trucks and tractors are steered. A team is driven. Bull calves are castrated, pinched, banded, cut, docked, etc. They are never steered.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":21sh2xs5 said:
One of the more irritating misusages found on these boards is steer. Pickup trucks and tractors are steered. A team is driven. Bull calves are castrated, pinched, banded, cut, docked, etc. They are never steered.

Craig-TX

Guilty as charged Craig. Old school term. I have told people I don't steer my bulls, I can steer, no they haven't been steered. If I use the proper terms I get strange looks and then asked "what does docked, cut, banded mean".

well yall will see alot of typos with my typing ive forgotten how to spell an it really dont bother me i got my degree from hard knock U ill be in the cattle business till i die scott

You guys might consider getting into the teaching profession if y'all ever get bored with your day job. Good English teachers are hard to find.

I wouldn't let these things bothering y'all to much. Don't you know that most cattlemen only have what is percieved to be a 6th grade education anyway? :lol: They didn't have the educational opportunities that some of us were lucky enough to get. They had to work to help the family. Water had to be fetched, wood had to be cut, cows had to be milked, etc, etc, etc. These folks do more work before 8:00 AM than most of us do all day. They are the backbone of this country and should be respected as such.:cboy:

Hmmmm.....I would reckon that if proper english was a necessity that our government would require it before they admitted you to the country.

9 ER":1xjs5m7y said:
You guys might consider getting into the teaching profession if y'all ever get bored with your day job. Good English teachers are hard to find.

I wouldn't let these things bothering y'all to much. Don't you know that most cattlemen only have what is percieved to be a 6th grade education anyway? :lol: They didn't have the educational opportunities that some of us were lucky enough to get. They had to work to help the family. Water had to be fetched, wood had to be cut, cows had to be milked, etc, etc, etc. These folks do more work before 8:00 AM than most of us do all day. They are the backbone of this country and should be respected as such.:cboy:
Good Point 9 ER. My dad was kicked out of school in the 6th grade because he wouldn't wear shoes to school. His family couldn't afford them at the time. He never went back. He continued to work on his dads dairy until he was 18. At 18 he went to work for a phone company where he spent 37 years and retired as pretty high management due to some recognizing his willingness to WORK! All this while running his ranch also.

my cows are bread

Interesting. My wife and I were walking with our kids in the pasture one day about half way through the breeding season and we were discussing which of our cows might be bred. My 7 year old pipes up 'I get it, some cows go for meat and some cows go for bread'. I guess those terms are easily confused. ;-)

i like big bulls attitude... even with some mis-spelled words, i have no problem understanding what he is trying to say...

what else are words for?

reminds me of the paragraph someone posted on here a few weeks back.. it was full of typos, but you could understand it and read it without a problem :roll:

:lol: have any of yall ever worked for someone who would continually correct your grammar? as you talked? now, that's annoying! :lol: you finally have to tell em.. you say it your way, and i'll say it mine... ;-)

hint taken on the .... i use em to break my train of thought. just a habit, and have had to back space a bunch on this message to git rid of some of em :lol: i'll try to lighten up with em, but, incasing i dont enough, dont let it annoy you, cause none intended.

jt

Perfect grammar is great. Perfect word usage and pronounciation is great. All that said, welcome to the real world. When we go to the cattle auction we hear words like the calf has already been "steered" out. Every area in the country has versions of words or adjectives that are not used in other parts of the country. I haven't read a post here that I couldnt figure out what the writer was talking about. I didn't always hold their point of view, but I knew what they were saying. I am certainly not saying that it isnt commendable to use proper English, just saying that we all use words that may not be familiar in another area but we seem to get our point across and that is the intention. Also, not everyone has had the same amount of education as to the usage of the typewriter keyboard. The computer is difficult to get used to for most of us but the greatest thing about it for me is the backspace button because I sure use it alot to correct my misspellling.

For me it is better to keep my mouth shut and have people think me ignorant, than to open it and remove all doubt. lol

I'll admit I'm the worlds worse when it comes to typos. Quite frankly I don't bother to correct it. Most of the time when I'm posting it's between jobs at work. I know it looks like I'm some hick with only a 2nd grade education. Actually, I've got quit an extensive education. I just don't tend to use all of it. Proper english has not ranked very high on my list. It is only one position above washing the cat. To hear me talk is about like my typing. On the other hand I have to give a lot of speaches ( I'm sorry "speeches" ) I can speak corectly If I have a mind to. Most of the time I just don't have a mind to.

Bama":73serntn said:
I'll admit I'm the worlds worse when it comes to typos. Quite frankly I don't bother to correct it. Most of the time when I'm posting it's between jobs at work. I know it looks like I'm some hick with only a 2nd grade education. Actually, I've got quit an extensive education. I just don't tend to use all of it. Proper english has not ranked very high on my list. It is only one position above washing the cat. To hear me talk is about like my typing. On the other hand I have to give a lot of speaches ( I'm sorry "speeches" ) I can speak corectly If I have a mind to. Most of the time I just don't have a mind to.

bama.. i can identify with that!.. years ago i got in a world of trouble with the wife when our girl started failing grammar at school.. she put it down like she hears it at home. :roll: bless her heart, she had to learn there was another way to talk.

jt

Back in college I had to take several english classes along with a public speaking class. I actually enjoyed the public speaking. I can't say that for all of those english classes. Math way always my strong point. My name BAMA comes from a nickname I got years ago. I called the Idaho wildlife bunch about getting some tags to elk hunt. After talking for a while the Lady said. I'm sorry can you start over I havn't understood a word you've said and what part of Alabama are you from. She said she loved a southern accent she just couldn't understand it. She made sure we got our tags.

There are those that excel at grammer, there are thoise that excel at math or science or biology. Hell we might even have a brain surgeon or rocket scientist on these boards. But unless any of you are all the above or in some other way perfect don't put others down for the short comings they might have.

Latest posts