Animal Science Research - Nutrition

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
The Animal Science Research staff from Auburn University was on an across state tour last week, talking to cattlemen about what research we thought was needed to make our endeavors more efficient.

Of course "Feed Efficiency" came up in the conversation. 3 or 4 Dr.'s made the comment that Feed Efficiency was not being utilized in bull buying decisions nowadays because so few cattlemen retain ownership that it does not matter to them. We know that faster gaining animals are more efficient but their is still a large spread between those cattle also.

One Dr. made the comment that he could not understand why people would consider a moderate YWT EPD in a terminal sire. His thinking was that YWT is a Post Weaning Gain function that direct correlates to feedlot gain, NOT necessarily frame score,and that the highest YWT EPD's would serve as a better predictor of profit in that capacity.

How many people here that have fed cattle have bought HIGH YWT EPD bulls for this purpose? Comments welcome.

When looking at feed efficiency in terms of EPDs I don't necessarily look at a high weaning wt. but a big spread from ww to YW EPD. When using the EPDs in this way you can select those bulls that are "more efficient" in the feed yard and more moderate in mature size. Just a theory of mine, no actual data to back it up.

I use yearling actual weight and ultrasound bf at yearling. I don't buy many yearling bulls but I like to know which are the leaders.

Are the heavier low back fat bulls are the more efficient? Do you have a formula that you use for determining the difference between two bulls where one might be heavier and the other with better back fat?

Tod Dague":37asnjwv said:
Are the heavier low back fat bulls are the more efficient? Do you have a formula that you use for determining the difference between two bulls where one might be heavier and the other with better back fat?

Low backfat would indicate a more efficient bull, but a large ribeye area might tell you more about lean meat yield also, which would translate to efficiency.

Remember, it takes almost TWICE the energy to put on a lb. of fat than it does lean muscle tissue. Fat is the biggest killer of profits in the feedyard today.

The beef industry, at present, is going backwards FAST in feed efficiency and the fat waste category while trying to chase marbling. It doesn't have to be this way.

Mike, didn't know that about backfat. Learned alot in those few sentences. Thanks.

Latest posts