for you cattle nutrition experts

Help Support CattleToday:

I dunno--I was just looking into it to see if there were any benefits to my little place. Kinda concerned about this too:
"Locate approximately 300 to 500 feet from general resting or watering area"

My cows rest where ever they happen to happen to be at the time they get tired, and depoending how much it rains, they might be no more than 100' away from water at any given time..

After reading this thread, I went to our feed mill and asked if there was a mineral with Rumensin in it. This is what they have for $49/100 pounds. We were on a mineral with IGR, but since the fly season is pretty much over out here, I think I might change to this mineral. We are trying everything to stretch the forage we have, since it was such a tough summer. We are currently on grass (mostly fescue with some rye and clover), but will probably start to feed hay by December. I like the fact it helps with conception, since we start putting embryos in and AI'ing the end of this month.
feed_tag_001.jpg

Fire Sweep Ranch":cvsuie99 said:
After reading this thread, I went to our feed mill and asked if there was a mineral with Rumensin in it. This is what they have for $49/100 pounds. We were on a mineral with IGR, but since the fly season is pretty much over out here, I think I might change to this mineral. We are trying everything to stretch the forage we have, since it was such a tough summer. We are currently on grass (mostly fescue with some rye and clover), but will probably start to feed hay by December. I like the fact it helps with conception, since we start putting embryos in and AI'ing the end of this month.
feed_tag_001.jpg

The tag says "feed" unlike most minerals I've fed which list a consumption rate and are free choice. Will you mix it with a ration or just hand feed it daily?

Hump, never looked at the tag that closely. The mill said it was a mineral, to put it in the mineral feeder and they will consume what they need. Now I am curious. I will have to go look at a label on our old mineral bags. At the top it states for beef cattle on pasture. Maybe the "feed" on the directions just means the consumption rate???

J&D Cattle":1ck2wrwc said:
The tag says "feed" unlike most minerals I've fed which list a consumption rate and are free choice. Will you mix it with a ration or just hand feed it daily?

Just putting it out to be consumed "free choice" is feeding it. The consumption range is basically from none to twice what they need.....I'm wondering whta's in it for "breed back". lolol.

TexasBred":3okr9br8 said:
J&D Cattle":3okr9br8 said:

Just putting it out to be consumed "free choice" is feeding it. The consumption range is basically from none to twice what they need.....I'm wondering whta's in it for "breed back". lolol.
I know copper and zinc are important in getting quicker conceptions, and this mineral supplies that. Maybe that is why they call it breed back? It is made by Tri State, and I can not find any information about them on the web. I'll keep digging

sim.-ang.king":37b1v3xf said:
Fire Sweep, how fast have they been eating that block you put out?
Well, I put out a 50 pound sack a week ago, and there is a little left. We have 23 head (18 cows, 5 fall calves) on the pasture with the breed back mineral, and if I did my math correct we should go through about a 50 pound sack a week, depending on consumption (label said up to .5 pounds per day). I figured I would put out a second sack tomorrow. They eat it about as much as the previous mineral we were feeding with IGR. And this mineral is a little bit cheaper. We will see how breeding goes, we are setting up with CIDR's in a week, using the 7 day protocol.

Fire Sweep Ranch":7w3a7dgs said:
sim.-ang.king":7w3a7dgs said:
Fire Sweep, how fast have they been eating that block you put out?
Well, I put out a 50 pound sack a week ago, and there is a little left. We have 23 head (18 cows, 5 fall calves) on the pasture with the breed back mineral, and if I did my math correct we should go through about a 50 pound sack a week, depending on consumption (label said up to .5 pounds per day). I figured I would put out a second sack tomorrow. They eat it about as much as the previous mineral we were feeding with IGR. And this mineral is a little bit cheaper. We will see how breeding goes, we are setting up with CIDR's in a week, using the 7 day protocol.
Sorry I ment cross7, but thanks for your input on the mineral, and hope breeding go quick and easy!

Latest posts