for you cattle nutrition experts

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
Compiled by staff
With high costs of feed for wintering cows, Justin Sexten, University of Missouri Extension beef nutritionist, says herd owners should consider adding monensin to grain supplements for winter forages. The additive, trade name Rumensin, controls coccidiosis, a disease caused by intestinal parasites.

Sexten says the additive improves beef-cow feed efficiency 10 to 15%

"That's like feeding hay for 90 cows to 100 cows," Sexten says. "It improves digestion of poor hay. Adding Rumensin to grain fed to cows on winter hay makes economic sense."

Recommended rate for beef cows is 200 milligrams per head per day, mixed into one pound of grain. Monensin must be fed every day, according to label.

Monensin, an ionophore, reduces cases of coccidiosis in beef herds. The disease results from a common internal parasite. While coccidiosis may not show symptoms in cows, it can be deadly to weaned calves.

In addition to disease control, ionophores change the microbial mix in the cow's rumen, which digests forages. The microbial change also cuts methane production. Carbons in methane are digested rather than emitted as gas.

"For an easy way to use the supplement, ask your feed dealer to mix it with a grain ration," Sexten says. "It gives a low-cost gain in feed efficiency. A daily dose costs about 1.8 cents. After adding mixing cost, the treatment costs about 2.5 cents a day.

"I encourage you to think about this," Sexten told farmers at an MU field day. But he added a caution: Grain with monensin should not be fed to horses, which do not have a rumen. It can be fatal to equines.

Source: MU Extension

"improves feed efficiency 10 to 15%" to me that is huge.
i saw on rfd tv were there are ionophore blocks available, would they work the same ?
i don't remeber who makes the block, i'll see if i can find it.

edit
Sweetlix® Rumensin® Pressed Blocks

Monensin does everything the article claims. As for the blocks, they too will work if the inclusion rate of monensin is high enough to get the recommended amount into the animal. I question his cost figures however. I'd figure the daily cost at about twice that much but still very affordable. Bovatec is another ionophore that will basically give you the same results at about the same cost.

I was at a field day a month or so ago and got to listen to and talk to Justin about this very article. I have never tried ionophores but several in the crowd had and echoed his statements about the effectiveness.

I can third the effectiveness.
I would use a loose mineral with either Bovatec or Rumensin in it. I have doubts that a block would work well.
Be careful to keep horses, donkeys and dogs away from it.

There are licks with ionophores in them, that I think would work well.

Both Rumensin and Bovatec carry a warning for horses, however, I'd seen a world of goat owners feed their goat ration containing monensin to their guard donkeys with no ill affects. The same for urea and horses. But I wouldn't want to be the one to tell anyone that's its' "ok". :nod:

Thats good to hear about the donkey-- sooner or latter mines gonna get into it- being a donkey and all :).

I don't think its an issue of them getting a bit and it kills them -- my dogs snack on the cattle feed every chance they get, so far I have gotten away with it. A steady diet or big amount is probably the issue and what I worry about.
And I have heard that Bovatec is less likely to cause problems than Rumensin- so I use Bovatec just in case.

Howdyjabo":13017gad said:
Thats good to hear about the donkey-- sooner or latter mines gonna get into it- being a donkey and all :).

I don't think its an issue of them getting a bit and it kills them -- my dogs snack on the cattle feed every chance they get, so far I have gotten away with it. A steady diet or big amount is probably the issue and what I worry about.
And I have heard that Bovatec is less likely to cause problems than Rumensin- so I use Bovatec just in case.
True, Bovatec is more forgiving. I"m sure a horse/donkey would have to break into the barn and eat a half bag to even be concerned. Same for the urea...I've seen a lot of horses licking at lick tank of liquid feed. They simple don't consume enough for it to be harmful...and they don't utilize much of it either.

sim.-ang.king":3q7dwpqs said:
What is the price difference between bovatec and rumensin, and the feeding rate difference?
i don't know the difference but this is what i found
Rumensin® (monensin, 300 mg/d) or Bovatec® (lasalocid, 300 mg/d)

My understanding is that Rumensin and Bovatec don't exactly give you the same results. Both will give you an improved effeciency of about 10%, but cattle fed Rumensin won't out gain cattle not fed any Ionophore they will just eat 10% less feed to gain the same amount. Cattle fed Bovatec will eat the same amount of feed as cattle not fed an Ionophore, but they will gain about 10% more on the same ration.

So, depending on what you are wanting to do with your cattle might affect your decision on which to feed more than the price. If you are feeding stocker calves and want to maximize weight gains on feedstuffs that you already have, then Bovatec might be what you want to use. If you have a mature cow herd in good shape and you want to maintain them through the winter and buy less feed, then Rumensin might be a better option.

Again, this is just what I have read and learned in class. I have fed a little Bovatec to my weaned calves at home, but it is hard to see much effect on 10 head and I haven't even found Rumensin at our local feed stores, so I can't compare them other than what I have been told.

WarEagle73":m5e30g4q said:
My understanding is that Rumensin and Bovatec don't exactly give you the same results. Both will give you an improved effeciency of about 10%, but cattle fed Rumensin won't out gain cattle not fed any Ionophore they will just eat 10% less feed to gain the same amount. Cattle fed Bovatec will eat the same amount of feed as cattle not fed an Ionophore, but they will gain about 10% more on the same ration.

Cattle will eat all you put in front of them until they get full. If you're limit feeding then you gain is limited by the amount fed but the calves getting the medicated feed will naturally gain more quickly and more per lb. of feed fed to them. Both products say to feed "For increased RATE of weight gain and improved feed efficiency".

TexasBred":2dbmj6nr said:
WarEagle73":2dbmj6nr said:

Cattle will eat all you put in front of them until they get full. If you're limit feeding then you gain is limited by the amount fed but the calves getting the medicated feed will naturally gain more quickly and more per lb. of feed fed to them. Both products say to feed "For increased RATE of weight gain and improved feed efficiency".

My statements about the differences in those products come from a single lecture in a nutrition course I am in right now, not any experience of my own, so I am trying to take everything I hear with a grain of salt until I can get a bit more of that experience. I did do a quick review of some of the published data from the 80's on Monensin and Lasalocid(Bovatec) and it is clear that cattle eat less and gain more when fed either, especially in a feedlot environment.

The differences in the two products don't seem as clear in that quick search, though. Some data shows no increase in gains over controls, but up to 18% lower feed intakes when fed free choice diets, others show the opposite and everything in between. Regardless, feeding ionophores is a no-brainer if you aren't selling into a program that doesn't allow it and I believe that technologies like ionophores and growth promoting implants are going to become increasingly important as we need to become more efficient.

how would rumensin work in a pasture situation where you can't control intake.
if the cows are in good shape and under the current conditions will do fine as is, would there be any benefit to feed remensin ?
i'd like to see less grass intake and retain condition but i don't have anyway to control how much they graze.

cross_7":gitnzxdk said:
how would rumensin work in a pasture situation where you can't control intake.
if the cows are in good shape and under the current conditions will do fine as is, would there be any benefit to feed remensin ?
i'd like to see less grass intake and retain condition but i don't have anyway to control how much they graze.
Without a way to control intake you're pretty much out of luck and measuring grazing intake is a guess at best. I wouldn't worry about it as long as they maintain their condition on the grass and/or hay. If you did have a way to limit intake on a grain feeding program Rumensin will also give you higher milk production but at the same time requires more dry matter intake to support production and maintenance.

i bought a sweetlix rumensin block(20.00)
are the minerals sufficient ?

sweetlixrumensinblock.jpg

Depending on consumption rate most are ok. I'd like to see a much higher level of vitamins especially Vitamin E.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/bovatec.html
(liquid form)

https://animalhealth.pfizer.com/sites/p ... dFeed.aspx
(block)
Dosing & Administration
Provide at least one block per 15 head
Locate approximately 300 to 500 feet from general resting or watering area
0.43 to 1.45 oz. per head per day consumption delivers 60 to 200 mg lasalocid per head per day
At maximum consumption, new blocks should be placed out approximately once a month
No other salt source should be available to cattle
Resources & Technical Information
44-pound block
Contains 2.2 grams lasalocid sodium per pound (4,400 g/ton)
For use continuously on a free-choice basis

WARNING: Contains copper. Do not feed to sheep.
The safety of lasalocid in unapproved species has not been established.
A withdrawal period has not been established for this product in pre-ruminating calves. Do not use in calves to be processed for veal.

Latest posts