Angus X Holstein

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
As far as the cross, it is what it is. Holstein plus anything is still going to sell as a half Holstein. If I were to jump in, that's not a bad price, but I don't think I'd feed them that long.

Yes good price.....I'd happily buy them.
I've taken some from birth to slaughter and like 'em....they sold 1/2 way between holstein and angus steers.
They brought more than good holstein steers and less than average angus steers.

I buy the odd one as a replacement calf. By yearling, they just seem like a thin beef animal usually. They aren't too different, just bony-er and leaner.

Kinda of hard to hide Holstein influence or any dairy influence in Angus X when it get bigger even if they're well fed and you can spot a F1 Holstein X Angus cow from a mile away.

As they age the dairy influence will become more and more apparent.
Bull/steers will sell better than heifers.
I would encourage you to get at least one more in the next few weeks, animals always do better in pairs.

Gotta be careful bringing in bottle calves though. Get a bad case of scours brought in and it will take the wind out your sails pretty quick. You'll also lose your money and the calves quite likely.

Supa Dexta":23t23b2h said:
Gotta be careful bringing in bottle calves though. Get a bad case of scours brought in and it will take the wind out your sails pretty quick. You'll also lose your money and the calves quite likely.
Or Johne's Disease.

The crossed calves, if you consider them for replacement heifers, can do well depending on the genetics of the Holstein side for udder quality. They will be big cows but will raise big calves, too. Come back with a muscled up black bull and the calves will sell very good if the white stays minimal.

CJC":1ge640lt said:
Ebenezer":1ge640lt said:
Supa Dexta":1ge640lt said:
Or Johne's Disease.

The crossed calves, if you consider them for replacement heifers, can do well depending on the genetics of the Holstein side for udder quality. They will be big cows but will raise big calves, too. Come back with a muscled up black bull and the calves will sell very good if the white stays minimal.

Interesting. I will see how she progresses and will see if I should breed her. We breed all our cows to a short horn. Black Dam seems to equal Black Calf in our experience so far. The short horn genes with the Angus dam seems to be giving us very large calves. Our short horns seem to have about 500-800lbs on our Angus's. Breeding this Holstein x Angus to a short horn may give me one massive cow.
What color is the shorthorn? If he is a spotted or has a spotted parent in his papers then I wouldn't use him on Angus X Holstein cows. Here calves with shorthorn chrome, they get sold at lowest prices.

Usually if both parents had a spotted parent in the woodpile, you are likely get a spotted calf that resembles like a Holstein.

I have raised several angus hols crosses bought from the barn some fill out nicely others not so much. I do agree with them selling as half Holsteins too but I only bought them when I got them cheap.

CJC":1uym1sex said:
Thanks for the replies.
I purchased a 4 day old Angus X Holstein Heifer just a moment ago. I will upload a picture of her tomorrow. Big, healthy calf. Looks like an angus. But like you all said. The price was right. I am debating getting more :D
I vote for 2 more....(preferably bull calves)
You already have 2 bottle calves and busy hands are happy hands. :)