Angus X Braunvieh Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie

Reaction score
This is a bull calf that belongs to our son. He is an Angus X Braunvieh cross and the cow's first calf. He is 2 months old in the pictures.

246159886-M.jpg

246159542-M.jpg

246159721-M.jpg

The sire is SAF Fame
saffame.jpg

http://www.bovine-elite.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=132

and the dam is is a full blood Braunvieh. She calved when she was 25 months old.

2007 Fort Worth pic

otj9z5.jpg

The pictures were taken at Christmas. He is growing well and balancing out. My husband hasn't cut him yet.

I would appreciate your comments. Thanks for looking. :tiphat:

Now that's what a Braunvieh looks like, not what some think of one on a different thread. He's a dandy and mama looks darn good too. Front pasture cattle.

The cow is funnel but, and how the heck can you tell what a two month old calf is going to be?
Also it looks like it has an umbilical hernia.

How old was the cow in the bottom pic it looks very small for a Braunvieh?

The cow was 16 months old in the show picture and 2 years old in the calf picture and this one. She has a good size frame and weighs 1300 lbs. Our son is 6' 2" tall.

16jew03.jpg

I haven't heard of the term "funnel" before, but when she was shown, she was faulted for being too shallow through the flank. She is our son's scramble heifer (now cow). When he chose her, he was looking for a cow that could raise a good calf and would be a good forager. She isn't as straight through the hocks as many of the show cattle are these days. She is doing a good job raising her calf.

The calf does not have an umbilical hernia. That is sheath and hair, not uncommon on a 2 month old calf.

Thank you for your observations.

Syd Sydney":118yjxf4 said:
The cow is funnel but,
  • >and how the heck can you tell what a two month old calf is going to be?<
Also it looks like it has an umbilical hernia.

How old was the cow in the bottom pic it looks very small for a Braunvieh?
dont't see no hernia.... and the calf look's good to me now at two month's regardless

I hope your Braunviehs aren't like our neighbor's. Its hard to get in sight of them on foot. CRAZY. He also had an old bull that threw the biggest calves I have ever seen. He could stand flat footed and step over a 52" fence while only pulling the staples from the top wire. His head looked like a coke machine. That farm is where we background. I lost count of the heifers that died trying to have his calves. When they did calve successfully, you couldn't get the calves to walk in a barn. We finally had to tranq. a couple. Fortunately, he became hamburger a couple of years back. I know there are good and bad in all breeds, but after that experience, I sure don't want any Braunvieh.

dyates":1jxqmt4g said:
I hope your Braunviehs aren't like our neighbor's. Its hard to get in sight of them on foot. CRAZY. He also had an old bull that threw the biggest calves I have ever seen. He could stand flat footed and step over a 52" fence while only pulling the staples from the top wire. His head looked like a coke machine. That farm is where we background. I lost count of the heifers that died trying to have his calves. When they did calve successfully, you couldn't get the calves to walk in a barn. We finally had to tranq. a couple. Fortunately, he became hamburger a couple of years back. I know there are good and bad in all breeds, but after that experience, I sure don't want any Braunvieh.
it's bad experiance's like this one that can hurt a breeds reputation.

You can get bad cattle from any breed. We have some Braunvieh/Brangus cross heifers and you'd be hard put to find such gentle cows anywhere. We don't have a single complaint. By the way, nice calf. Even if the mama was a funnel butt,which I don't see, that calf sure ain't. :clap:

The experience itself doesn't hurt reputations, it's the people who take ONE experience like this and pop their mouth off to everyone that will believe it. :roll:

Was talking to a guy at the sale barn the other day that was screaming about the birthweights & problems of the Limo calves he had at one time......When he got up, I was talking to his wife and she told me that they had never had any Limo calves and that it was their neighbor who had told him about about the calving problems his brother had had..... :roll:

MikeC":2jixegqt said:

The experience itself doesn't hurt reputations, it's the people who take ONE experience like this and pop their mouth off to everyone that will believe it. :roll:

Was talking to a guy at the sale barn the other day that was screaming about the birthweights & problems of the Limo calves he had at one time......When he got up, I was talking to his wife and she told me that they had never had any Limo calves and that it was their neighbor who had told him about about the calving problems his brother had had..... :roll:
alot of it is from someone pushing their dink cows to perform with different bull's and they aint equipped pelvicly to handle it

ALACOWMAN":24iloges said:
MikeC":24iloges said:

alot of it is from someone pushing their dink cows to perform with different bull's and they aint equipped pelvicly to handle it

A lot of it too is people selling bulls that should be cut at birth or keeping cows that shouldn;t be allowed to breed. Another option is breed associations pitching their particular breed as the newest greatest breed taht will do it all.

dun":2whg7kah said:
ALACOWMAN":2whg7kah said:
MikeC":2whg7kah said:

A lot of it too is people selling bulls that should be cut at birth or keeping cows that shouldn;t be allowed to breed. Another option is breed associations pitching their particular breed as the newest greatest breed taht will do it all.

My point was that this guy had never experienced any calving problems. Innuendo. Rumors. Lies.

He was only repeating what he had been told, and what he was told may or may NOT have been the truth.

understood what your talking bout.sounds like some folks around here... but a potentailly good bull in the wrong hands can get a bad reputation and have his head sawn off and it be everybody's fault but his .....

I'm not popping off about things which I know nothing about. Personal experience only. The problem was somebody else's bull that wouldn't stay at home. I do know Braunvieh got somewhat popular here back in the late '80s early '90s. They are few and far between now.

Something else I forgot. This wasn't one experience. This was stretched out over 4 years and several thousand dollars worth of dead heifers, busted gates, headaches and blood. Should have sued the people, but you can't get blood from a turnip.

Lets get realistic here. If you have a bull that's so tall he can step over a fence that height, and a head as big as a coke machine, you gotta be some kind of a dumb a-- to use him for a breeder. I've used Braunvieh for 3 yrs. and the only one I've pulled was a breech. The biggest one was (If I remember right , without checking) was 80 lbs. And their a heckuva lot more docile than anything else I've got. Now if he tore up that much, why would you keep him 4 yrs. Now if that's true don't you think there's been improvement in them in the last 20 yrs?

Sorry for the hijack, Chippie. Your calf is a fine calf.............................

dyates":1o9wy6lc said:
I'm not popping off about things which I know nothing about. Personal experience only. The problem was somebody else's bull that wouldn't stay at home. I do know Braunvieh got somewhat popular here back in the late '80s early '90s. They are few and far between now.

Something else I forgot. This wasn't one experience.
  • > This was stretched out over 4 years and several thousand dollars worth of dead heifers, busted gates, headaches and blood.<
Should have sued the people, but you can't get blood from a turnip.
sounds like a slow learner.. one bad calv'in experiance im shuting down and retool'in

ALACOWMAN":2yk1ynwv said:
dyates":2yk1ynwv said:

Something else I forgot. This wasn't one experience.
  • > This was stretched out over 4 years and several thousand dollars worth of dead heifers, busted gates, headaches and blood.<
Should have sued the people, but you can't get blood from a turnip.
sounds like a slow learner.. one bad calv'in experiance im shuting down and retool'in

Latest posts