Angus Source

Help Support CattleToday:

Ashton V

Reaction score
I know about CAB and the gist of it. But is anyone familiar with the Angus Source program?? Do you think it pays off??

Ashton V":6ktavtvy said:
I know about CAB and the gist of it. But is anyone familiar with the Angus Source program?? Do you think it pays off??
depends on how you market your cattle at a reg sale barn you MIGHT see a few cents difference but if you have enough to sell to an order buyer direct it should pay or if you can put your calves in a source and age verified sale then it will pay also

Red Bull Breeder":9kx7jep2 said:
Naw can't seem to get red cattle in it.

you can get any color cattle you like in it, so long as they are sired by a registered black angus bull!

as for its value, when it first came out as simply a tag program for buyers of reg. angus bulls I felt it had the opportunity to build demand from the ground up, instead AAA went on a USDA rampage tying it to their standards, promoting premises ID and the whole nais nonsense which turned a lot of cattlemen off (me included). Now it is another part of the aaa bureaucracy that we are paying for with increased dues designed to continue the bureacracy, just my opinion fwiw.

Some of the very reason here that you are mentioning is why we are developing a program that is different.

Our program (not only as a herd management program) can document genetics, vaccinations (with validations), age, breed makeup, if calves have been implanted or not, if they have been fed anitibiotics or not and any other protocol that is value-added.

I have had different professional organizations look at it and have spoke to USDA, our program offers more information to potential buyers than any program in existence today.

robert":1v6sl9t3 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1v6sl9t3 said:
Naw can't seem to get red cattle in it.

you can get any color cattle you like in it, so long as they are sired by a registered black angus bull!

as for its value, when it first came out as simply a tag program for buyers of reg. angus bulls I felt it had the opportunity to build demand from the ground up, instead AAA went on a USDA rampage tying it to their standards, promoting premises ID and the whole nais nonsense which turned a lot of cattlemen off (me included). Now it is another part of the aaa bureaucracy that we are paying for with increased dues designed to continue the bureacracy, just my opinion fwiw.

they should be black if sired by a black angus bull shouldnt they? with very few exceptions i mean.

nope, smokies, red carrier bulls, red factor cows, diluter genes generally, lots of black Angus sired calves that ain't black!

There are not LOTS of angus sired calves that aren't black. I'll give you the smokes but very few will be red. Its almost nonexistant the percentage is so low.

robert":3rksbuh9 said:
nope, smokies, red carrier bulls, red factor cows, diluter genes generally, lots of black Angus sired calves that ain't black!

i figured the smokies as would almost anybody. i guess i didnt think of red factor cause it would have to be both cow and bull both carrying it and then would only happen once in a great while if i am thinking correctly.

Jake":2m1dwyh2 said:
There are not LOTS of angus sired calves that aren't black. I'll give you the smokes but very few will be red. Its almost nonexistant the percentage is so low.
you mean a black angus bull with the red gene, on non angus cows the percentage is low??

There are very few black angus bulls that are carrying the red gene. The simple fact is that yes it is possible but highly improbable to ever get a red calf out of a registered black angus bull.

Angus Source cattle MUST be sired by a registered angus bull either via Natural Service or thru AI. This is an American Angus Association program to promote the breed.

Certified Angus Beef, on the otherhand is an extremely well marketing method. CAB is supposed to be able to include the acceptance of Red Angus genetics (they are Angus too). But if based on visual alone, 51% black hide is all that is looked at. (or is it?)

I don't know if things have changed any or not, but I think it 2 or 3 years ago, some group DNA tested some CAB meat and the result was that only 17% of the meat traced to Angus genetics. I have had feedlots tell me that they have had Belgian Blue, Hereford and other mixtures of cattle come back as being CAB.

One big factor is that last report there was less that 4% of the cattle slaughtered that are age and source verified. But yet, how many of our Foreign buyers only want cattle with age and source information? Other countries are being more progressive about programs than the US, they are seeking better marketing for their beef products.

Jake":39enr454 said:
There are very few black angus bulls that are carrying the red gene. The simple fact is that yes it is possible but highly improbable to ever get a red calf out of a registered black angus bull.

the simple fact is you are mistaken, some of the most popular bulls in the breed carried the red gene, many, but not all, appear on the AAA list of red factor carriers, I can name a bunch of them off the top of my head if you like. When mating 2 red carrier animals the chance is 1 in 4, or 25% that you will get a red one, just like any simple recessive. When used on red cows your odds go to 50/50 of getting a red calf.

cbcr":1b6fqgg2 said:
Angus Source cattle MUST be sired by a registered angus bull either via Natural Service or thru AI. This is an American Angus Association program to promote the breed.

Certified Angus Beef, on the otherhand is an extremely well marketing method. CAB is supposed to be able to include the acceptance of Red Angus genetics (they are Angus too). But if based on visual alone, 51% black hide is all that is looked at. (or is it?)

I don't know if things have changed any or not, but I think it 2 or 3 years ago, some group DNA tested some CAB meat and the result was that only 17% of the meat traced to Angus genetics. I have had feedlots tell me that they have had Belgian Blue, Hereford and other mixtures of cattle come back as being CAB.

One big factor is that last report there was less that 4% of the cattle slaughtered that are age and source verified. But yet, how many of our Foreign buyers only want cattle with age and source information? Other countries are being more progressive about programs than the US, they are seeking better marketing for their beef products.
You just had to open your mouth about CAB
when NO one else said a word about it
That subject has been CUSSED and discussed to death on here

Latest posts