Angus pedigree

Help Support CattleToday:

Boot Jack Bulls

Reaction score
Most know that I have limited knowledge of Angus genetics, especially anything really new. That said, can I get some honest feedback on this bull's pedigree: AAA18123157? Thanks in advance!

We have used just alittle Traction, he will downsize a decent sized cow. On the bottom side Upward should have some growth and In Focus is supposed to be a female maker. I doubt the BW will be as bad as the numbers suggest. Pretty Decent pedigree for mature cows.

I'm kind of thinking along the same lines as jscunn. I like some of the sires I see in there but not real sure how it's all going o match up.

jscunn said:
We have used just alittle Traction, he will downsize a decent sized cow. On the bottom side Upward should have some growth and In Focus is supposed to be a female maker. I doubt the BW will be as bad as the numbers suggest. Pretty Decent pedigree for mature cows.
Thanks jscunn! That's what I was looking for. I need a bull that will cross on our Limi and Lim-flex females well. They can afford to be moderated, but I will not sacrifice the awesome maternal traits and excellent structure we have selected them for.

cow pollinater said:
I'm kind of thinking along the same lines as jscunn. I like some of the sires I see in there but not real sure how it's all going o match up.
That's about what I came up with. I'm going to look the bull over later this week, and see if he is as intriguing in person...

We did end up purchasing this Traction son. I'm super impressed with him! Hopefully I can get pictures to post again....

He is carrying a bit extra condition, but is toning up really nicely. He is super docile, well-bred and smooth shouldered while boasting a big hip. I would like him to be just a touch longer in the cannons lol! I actually have had him in the pasture for a bit now, but I wanted to make sure he was going to be a really good fit for our program before I updated anything. I am lucky to have a few breeders of stock like this within just a few miles of me!

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I really can't see the shoulders, but he is one powerful, big butted, big gutted bull. Knowing you, his shoulders are great & his legs are also! Good luck with him.
Yeah, that picture is pretty horrid, but I just could not get great lighting any time lately. It's either been tornadoes and torrential rain or blistering heat lately. He is smooth shouldered and I do think he has good feet and legs. I wish he was just a touch longer boned though, it makes him a little short-strided off his hind wheels. Overall, I feel I got a steal of a deal on him and had him booked within hours of passing his BSE.

I like him and i'm a fan of Traction. We have 3 heifers out of him that we really like. The oldest out of a 7229 cow, we just bred to Playbook

Just curious, he has 1 genomic progeny in 4 years. Was he used on commercial cows? Or did the breeder use him, or test his progeny?

Did you get to see that one proven calf? Bull or cow?

He is DNA proven which is a plus.

How are his feet after 4 years?

Feel free to not answer.

************* said:
Just curious, he has 1 genomic progeny in 4 years. Was he used on commercial cows? Or did the breeder use him, or test his progeny?

Feel free to not answer.

He was used in a commercial setting by the daughter of the original breeder. I did see several of his calves on the ground and some of his daughters in production. I found them all very acceptable in phenotype.

I assume you reference his registered offspring? See above. Whether or not the previous owner registered his calves in a commercial setting is of little consequence to me.

He has good feet and legs. I would not have purchased him if he did not.

Feel free to ask away!

Boot Jack Bulls said:
************* said:

Feel free to not answer.

He was used in a commercial setting by the daughter of the original breeder. I did see several of his calves on the ground and some of his daughters in production. I found them all very acceptable in phenotype.

I assume you reference his registered offspring? See above. Whether or not the previous owner registered his calves in a commercial setting is of little consequence to me.

He has good feet and legs. I would not have purchased him if he did not.

Feel free to ask away!

That makes sense.

Congrats on your purchase.

I would like to see him with better lighting, but he looks nice and thick from what I can tell.

Latest posts