Angus Pathfinder Program

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn

Reaction score
Data came back Friday, We raised our first pathfinder.. CF Pride 412. She isn't very photogenic but maybe it is because she is so productive.

Thanks guys, kinda neat deal because we bred the dam of the pathfinder as well as the pathfinder. The dam was a productive cow in her own right.

Jim,
Always ran commercial angus cows, most descended from the family registered herd that they quit registering in about 1972. Slowly converted the herd to registered cows in the early 2000s, got 2 commercial angus cows left. The other problem is I used to run the 2 yr olds separate, so they had separate contemporary groups of less than 5 head.

The AAA moved the minimum contemporary group from 10 head to 5 head last year, had one that raised 9 @ 106 but she had a contemporary group of 4 with her first calf. :bang:

I figured someone would have commented about the BW Ratios. This is a real slick cow in the summer time, I think that usually ends up adding some BW because she will be out eating when some of the others are still in the shade. the actual weights are weighed with a scale not a tape and they aren't terrible, well maybe 90# out of a heifer is a bit much, but she had it without help..

jscunn said:
I figured someone would have commented about the BW Ratios. This is a real slick cow in the summer time, I think that usually ends up adding some BW because she will be out eating when some of the others are still in the shade. the actual weights are weighed with a scale not a tape and they aren't terrible, well maybe 90# out of a heifer is a bit much, but she had it without help..
I think I get hurt with birth weights with small contempory groups. Older cows in small groups with higher birthweights get crucified as well.

I do like that cow, reminds me of one I have that just keeps pumping out one of the best calves each year, she is not overly big. The fellow I have that comes and grades them for me each year describes her as a real worker yet she just grades as average.

Ken

Latest posts