Angus over Hereford or Hereford over Angus?

Help Support CattleToday:

sassafras manor

Reaction score
What do most people run to get Black Baldies, Angus Bull/Hereford cows or vice versa? Our Hereford cow/Angus Bull crosses these past few years have yielded the highest weaning weights and highest price per pound even more so than straight Black Angus calves. After seeing an additional net of $150-$200 per calf out of this cross I am considering moving more towards producing BWF calves vs straight black. For what it is worth the majority of our herd are Angus cows and we also have free access to Angus bulls.

Not quite sure of your question or direction. There were some studies decades ago that favored baldies from Hereford cows. If you were asking about starting, you could buy more Hereford cows for a given investment. That has always been a great cross and can go to the feedlot or heifers stay on the farm.

First off, Since you already have the angus cows it's a no brained to get a Hereford bull. Second, using Hereford bulls as opposed to cows....fewer eyes to have problems with. :2cents: I'll leave the arguments which are better milkers raising bigger calves to someone else.

Speaking of milkers....an udder problem to consider. ;-)

🤔 come to think of it....I haven't had a cow with eye problems since I got rid of every white faced cow that didn't have some ear....🤷‍♂️

Like has already been said there are more Angus cows so likely that most of the BWF calves are from Angus or black cows. We have mostly Hereford cows and use Angus bull for some of them. I honestly think it just comes down to the individual cow as opposed to breed that raised the better calf in that cross.
We prefer the Hereford cows overall disposition to That of Angus, but that's just our preference.
As for pinkeye issues again I think that is an individual issue about as much as an entire breed issue. I've treated Angus for it when there wasn't a Hereford on the place. I have treated Herefords as well. In recent years it has pretty much been limited to the calves sired by one particular bull which leads me to think it is more of an individual issue.

What is the expected outcome of a Black Baldie cow bred back to either a Hereford or Angus bull? Will it always be a black baldie and will those calves gain the same leaps and bounds as the original cross? We are getting 100+ pound additional weaning weights and higher prices for the BWF than straight up Angus

sassafras manor said:
What is the expected outcome of a Black Baldie cow bred back to either a Hereford or Angus bull? Will it always be a black baldie and will those calves gain the same leaps and bounds as the original cross? We are getting 100+ pound additional weaning weights and higher prices for the BWF than straight up Angus

A BWF bred to and Angus can have another BWF or mottled face or be solid black. A BWF bred back to a Hereford can either have a BWF or a RWF either color result of that cross can also come with more white than the F1 cross before it.

sassafras manor said:
What is the expected outcome of a Black Baldie cow bred back to either a Hereford or Angus bull?
.... and will those calves gain the same leaps and bounds as the original cross?
No the 2nd cross will not be as good as the first cross... I think you would be very happy with calves
from a purebred Simmental or Gelbvieh bull on them rather than angus or hereford.

Son of Butch said:
sassafras manor said:
What is the expected outcome of a Black Baldie cow bred back to either a Hereford or Angus bull?
.... and will those calves gain the same leaps and bounds as the original cross?
No the 2nd cross will not be as good as the first cross... I think you would be very happy with calves
from a purebred Simmental or Gelbvieh bull on them rather than angus or hereford.

I agree with that Son of Butch, the second cross back to either parent breed would not give the benefit of heterosis like a 3 way cross would. There is though just my opinion a caveat to that in that if one is keeping replacement heifers. Depending on each individual situation, the say 3/4 Angus or Hereford and 1/4 of the other of the two breeds may be a bit more efficient cows than when a continental breed is introduced. Then again if the goal is maximum pounds to sell and less emphasis put on replacements then the above mentioned third breeds would be ideal, and some of those crosses for cows may work out fine.

Around here Herefords have been out of the loop so long..they are like finding hens teeth.all the good ones are registered and high priced .cant find any decent commercial cattle.. sounds like in your current situation,a good herf bull would be the best route..and don't be afraid you'll lose your enthusiasm with commercial cattle..

sassafras manor" Our Hereford cow/Angus Bull crosses these past few years have yielded the highest weaning weights and highest price per pound even more so than straight Black Angus calves. After seeing an additional net of $150-$200 per calf out of this cross I am considering moving more towards producing BWF calves vs straight black. [/quote said:
That is a big difference. What are the lb and price comparisons?

Stocker Steve said:
That is a big difference. What are the lb and price comparisons?

Due to work, school and the kids' sports schedules we have traditionally weaned a little earlier than others which translates to lighter weaning weights but that is what works for us.

2018 BWF heifers avg 520lb $1.60/lb (didn't have any BWF steers last year)
2018 Angus heifers avg 390lb $1.51/lb

2019 BWF steers avg 545lb $1.35/lb
2019 Angus steers avg 450lb $1.25/lb

In hindsight I should have retained the 2 BWF heifers from last year but had a higher than desirable hay bill to pay.

Latest posts