Angus Heifers, let em have it

Help Support CattleToday:

rkm":19j4d7eo said:
Basin Franchise

Rkm Have you used Basin Franchise and if so how big do his progeny get all things being equal. Tell me about his positives and negatives as I am going to breed him to some of my second calvers? What can I expect?

TSR":22f7n6y3 said:
rkm":22f7n6y3 said:
Basin Franchise

Rkm Have you used Basin Franchise and if so how big do his progeny get all things being equal. Tell me about his positives and negatives as I am going to breed him to some of my second calvers? What can I expect?
TSR-

You can expect to get a Genetic and Phenotypic expression of the combination of the Genes and Traits of the Sire and your 'second calvers' to whom he is to be bred. That is why it is imperative that you KNOW what your 'second calvers' EPD's and genetic traits and characterstics are because - LIKE BEGETS LIKE. Look at the EPD's of Basin Franchise, and combine what you see there with what Rkm tells you - and eliminate the phrase "...all things being equal", because all things are NOT equal - EVER - when mating two individuals together, even if it is the SAME two individuals - twice in a row! Close, but not congruent. Then, you have about as close an estimate of what you may expect in the future as you can reasonably get. The resulting progeny will give you a fine "template" to use for culling not only the calves for replacement heifers, but their dams as well. It will also tell you if your mating plans are what you want to continue using, or if you should consider another breeding program - such as concentrated crossbreeding protocols.

Nothing is ever easy, is it?

Good luck in your breeding program.

DOC HARRIS

There I went and opened my big mouth, when I'm not really qualified. Although I bred reg. holsteins for forty years I'm a greenhorn when it comes to beef. I only know what I have read and heard. What I should have said if they were my heifers I would use Basin Franchise. I hear he is hot right now. Now I have burned by using the latest hot bull. But I also have been left in the dust by not using a hot bull.

Get the opinion of someone smarter than me.

ron

DOC HARRIS":34h5ks35 said:
TSR":34h5ks35 said:
rkm":34h5ks35 said:
Basin Franchise

TSR-

You can expect to get a Genetic and Phenotypic expression of the combination of the Genes and Traits of the Sire and your 'second calvers' to whom he is to be bred. That is why it is imperative that you KNOW what your 'second calvers' EPD's and genetic traits and characterstics are because - LIKE BEGETS LIKE. Look at the EPD's of Basin Franchise, and combine what you see there with what Rkm tells you - and eliminate the phrase "...all things being equal", because all things are NOT equal - EVER - when mating two individuals together, even if it is the SAME two individuals - twice in a row! Close, but not congruent. Then, you have about as close an estimate of what you may expect in the future as you can reasonably get. The resulting progeny will give you a fine "template" to use for culling not only the calves for replacement heifers, but their dams as well. It will also tell you if your mating plans are what you want to continue using, or if you should consider another breeding program - such as concentrated crossbreeding protocols.

Nothing is ever easy, is it?

Good luck in your breeding program.

DOC HARRIS

Right you are Doc as I always select based on the improvements I want to make in my females. I won't be using him (B Franchise) on every second calver just a select few. I might add that these females have been ultrasounded,etc. And I am a big believer in epds, so I look at those intensely also. But as I have said here many times we all want that outlier don't we? I think I may have just raised a couple of outliers in some respects but thats probably in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. This is what makes breeding and raising cattle fun in my opinion.

The question posed at the start of this thread which i apologize for not responding to. Yes those are some pretty nice heifers. I like your chosen sire's epds, especially the fact that his $EN is at least positive-a statistic I struggled with in regards to using B Franchise. Anyway good luck.

Latest posts