Angus Heifer Weaning Weights

Help Support CattleToday:

Yep. Avg Daily weight gain might actually be a better way to explain it.

For instance: If calf "A" has an actual BW of 80 lbs on March 1, 2005 and we wean it on October 1, 2005 and it weighs 600 lbs. That calf is 214 days old and has gained 520 lbs so his WDA= 520lbs divided by 214 days = 2.43lbs average of gain for each day of his life.

This method makes it easier to identify the "good growers" without discounting calves with low BW or giving and advantage to calves with high BW.

Angus Cattle Shower - as far as I'm concern - NO CALVES should be receiving any creep (grain) OR THE COWS.
Now there are always exceptions - super bad drought, you might need to supplement just for survival. But a cow should be able to raise her calf to 50% of her body weight with just grass and her good ole milk supply.
If your cattle were on poor hay and poor grass, that's also different. Otherwise, that's not a good weight - in my herd.

Based on AHIR data, the AAA reported average weaning weight (205 adj) of heifers in 2004 as 590 lbs. AC Shower, I assumed a 75 lb BW for your heifer and got pretty much the same adj 205 that Jeanne did (just checking the math Jeanne ;-) ). 440 – 450 lb adj 205 is not good for an angus heifer. Sorry, but them's the facts mam. I agree 100% with Jeanne on no creep for calves. I would rather wean early than creep feed. You don't get a good picture of what kind of job mama is doing if you creep (imo). We're retaining two heifers from the spring, Rewardx6807 (205 adj 630, ratio 102) and a Loadupx036 (205 adj 611, ratio 100). One can make excuses for dry weather, bad grass, etc but the decisions you make need to come down to where do you want your herd to be in the future, and how much do you value your reputation? Pardon me if I seem a little preachy, but I'm preaching to myself somewhat. I've got two bull calves that we weaned labor day. They didn't cut the mustard. I wanted them to be good so bad my teeth hurt and based on epd's and name recognition of the sires, I know I could sell them in a heartbeat. Time to walk the walk.

Lee

Here's a link that discusses the adj 205 calculation.

http://www.montana.edu/wwwpb/pubs/mt9309.pdf

bwranch":23k2ktkb said:
Based on AHIR data, the AAA reported average weaning weight (205 adj) of heifers in 2004 as 590 lbs. AC Shower, I assumed a 75 lb BW for your heifer and got pretty much the same adj 205 that Jeanne did (just checking the math Jeanne ;-) ). 440 – 450 lb adj 205 is not good for an angus heifer. Sorry, but them's the facts mam. I agree 100% with Jeanne on no creep for calves. I would rather wean early than creep feed. You don't get a good picture of what kind of job mama is doing if you creep (imo). We're retaining two heifers from the spring, Rewardx6807 (205 adj 630, ratio 102) and a Loadupx036 (205 adj 611, ratio 100). One can make excuses for dry weather, bad grass, etc but the decisions you make need to come down to where do you want your herd to be in the future, and how much do you value your reputation? Pardon me if I seem a little preachy, but I'm preaching to myself somewhat. I've got two bull calves that we weaned labor day. They didn't cut the mustard. I wanted them to be good so bad my teeth hurt and based on epd's and name recognition of the sires, I know I could sell them in a heartbeat. Time to walk the walk.

Lee

Here's a link that discusses the adj 205 calculation.

http://www.montana.edu/wwwpb/pubs/mt9309.pdf

But her WW is 550 not 450... Sorry for the trouble, but ya, mabye i did put the wrong number down, but it is indeed 550

Your original post was a bit confusing. I took it to read that you weaned her yesterday and her adjusted 205 day weaning wt was 550 as adjusted 205s is the only weaning number I even think about. Other people took it to mean that her real weaning wt at 255 days old was 550. They went back and adjusted 50 days of gain off of her and came up with a not very impressive 450 lb adjusted 205 day wt. I can see after re-reading it how they came to that conclusion. Since there is some confusion, could you clear that up? I repeat, if her adjusted 205 day wt is 550 that is pretty good for a purebred heifer without throwing feed at the cows.

Angus Cattle Shower":2t17a9ay said:
We weaned my heifer lastnight, and her weaning weight is 550. That is also her 255 day wt. She was born on Feb. 27, and has been fed on only grass and good hay. What does everyone think?

Thanks

Yes, please enlighten us, I am thoroughly confused. Of course that is sometimes easily done. :D

I must admit I don't put much thought into the weaning weights of my replacements. I know which cows I want heifers from, and if they click right with the bull, I keep the heifer. The only time I don't when they're from a good cow, is if they're born real late and end up significantly smaller than the rest.

Some of my AngusXTarentaise F1's hit 50% of their bodyweight - adj. to 205 days - year in, year out. All of my AngusXHereford and AngusXShorthorn F1's do it. Funny thing is, they're the smallest cows. :)

If you don't adjust to 205 (or any fixed number of days within your herd) you can NEVER truly compare cows performance - unless you have about a 2 week calving season. :shock: I shoot for 45 days but always end up closer to 60 days, and I would not want to be analyzing my cows performance by size of calf at weaning using scale weights. There can EASILY be 200# difference between first & last born (many times more - this year there was 225# between 2nd heifer born & last heifer born - 67 days)
Generally my HEIFERS calf about the first two weeks than I start my cows. This 2nd calf born was out of a COW that I slipped into the chute & bred (sooooo hard to pass them up when they're standing!) :D

Funny, funny. :lol:

If they're Galloways or Highlands I'd be interested, but I'm thinkin' the freight bill would break us. :lol:

Yeah, you're probably right. Not only that, sending live cattle across the border would probably cause the market to crash ;-)

Latest posts