Angus Cow Weight Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I've had a bit of a lively discussion with a fella that raises Angus cattle about cow size. The discussion pretty much has been resolved but I am still a bit skeptical. Though I probably should know better than to argue with someone who claims they raise Angus cattle, but who knows when your discussions are in cyberspace and not one-on-one, right?

Anyway, to get to the point, this fella claimed he has cows (not bulls; cows) that weigh between 1600 and 3000 lbs. :shock: I've looked up sources on Angus cattle weight and haven't found anything (yet) that even remotely says that Angus cows can get up to 3000 lbs. The highest I've heard of is 1800 lbs, but not anything higher'n that.

And of course the fella says to me: "Just because you have not seen or heard of Angus cattle that big does not mean that they are not." Isn't that like saying "Just because you've never seen nor heard of cows that are pink with purple polka dots doesn't mean that they don't exist." :roll:

So my question is this: Do any of you folks know of or have any Angus cows that are this big (up to or around 3000 lbs)? Have you even heard of cows getting this big? Or was I completely suckered into some BS by some wanna-be cowboy who's false claims are backed up by the advantages of anonymousy of the Internet? :compute:

IluvABbeef":vqj5potr said:
I've had a bit of a lively discussion with a fella that raises Angus cattle about cow size. The discussion pretty much has been resolved but I am still a bit skeptical. Though I probably should know better than to argue with someone who claims they raise Angus cattle, but who knows when your discussions are in cyberspace and not one-on-one, right?

Anyway, to get to the point, this fella claimed he has cows (not bulls; cows) that weigh between 1600 and 3000 lbs. :shock: I've looked up sources on Angus cattle weight and haven't found anything (yet) that even remotely says that Angus cows can get up to 3000 lbs. The highest I've heard of is 1800 lbs, but not anything higher'n that.

And of course the fella says to me: "Just because you have not seen or heard of Angus cattle that big does not mean that they are not." Isn't that like saying "Just because you've never seen nor heard of cows that are pink with purple polka dots doesn't mean that they don't exist." :roll:

So my question is this: Do any of you folks know of or have any Angus cows that are this big (up to or around 3000 lbs)? Have you even heard of cows getting this big? Or was I completely suckered into some BS by some wanna-be cowboy who's false claims are backed up by the advantages of anonymousy of the Internet? :compute:

I dont know about angus but I have personally had some herf cows that weighed right at 2000 lbs.Herfs used to be that big (3000 lbs) but I think that is just to big.

do

I've personally seen purebred Angus cows come through the stockyards that weighed over 2100 lbs. These are canner cows I'm talking about though. BIG and FAT too. And, I just shake my head cause I know where they came from and am thinking 'and we buy bulls out of cows like this'....

IluvABbeef":1h74nm2j said:

Iluvabeef, Think about it. If they all weighed between 1600-1700, they would be between 1600 and 3000. ;-)
When I bought an angus bull from a seedstock producer in Maury Co., Tn about 4 yrs ago he showed me an old angus cow that was huge. He said he weighed her a few weeks earlier and she weighed 2245. That was one big cow.

The biggest cow I have ever seen was a 2300 lb Angus 'mascot' at the sales yard. About 8 years old and never had a calf. She had a hip height of over 6' and was a scary looking beast. I believe mascots could attain a live weight of 3000 lbs (given they have the monsterous frame to handle such weight. Have regularly seen 2000-2200 lbs Chars and Herefords. Big frame, lost a calf and became bigger than the bulls they ran with that summer.

But, for a calving, productive Angus cow to reach 3000 lbs....your acquaintance is full of BS. :cowboy:

My question is...why in the world would you even want a cow that weighs over 1500!!! 1500 is too big for me. We sent a load of old cows out of here today from some neighbours and grandpa sent some of his cows in and they averaged 2150. He thinks they are the best cows he has ever raised, but why would you want a cow that weighs that much! His were pretty well finished though. Probably would be 1500-1700 cows on pasture... still to big. I like em 1100-1300 max! Thats weighing them at weaning time when they are carrying a little flesh, but just raised a calf.

Aaron":1oczabzw said:
The biggest cow I have ever seen was a 2300 lb Angus 'mascot' at the sales yard. About 8 years old and never had a calf. She had a hip height of over 6' and was a scary looking beast. I believe mascots could attain a live weight of 3000 lbs (given they have the monsterous frame to handle such weight. Have regularly seen 2000-2200 lbs Chars and Herefords. Big frame, lost a calf and became bigger than the bulls they ran with that summer.

But, for a calving, productive Angus cow to reach 3000 lbs....your acquaintance is full of BS. :cowboy:

And so are you Aaron, right full! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Aaron":10t73tv4 said:

He needs to send us some pictures of those bad boys........what is the biggest Bull you have ever seen? I saw a bull about 4 years ago at a gas station on I35 near San Marcos that I really wish I had taken a picture of. He looked like a big Santa Gertrudis and he alone filled a 18ft trailer it appeared to me! I wish I had looked at him closer but my mind was elsewhere that day but looking back He was a brute for sure!! Some of em can get real big as you know. It's always nice to see a really big one from time to time!

I saw an old Angus cow run through a consignment sale in Cullman and she MAY have been the biggest cow I have ever seen. I wish they had run her across the scale to verify that. I am 6'2" and I couldn't see over her without stretching and tip toes and she had the length to match the height. The room was full of Angus breeders and she didn't bring her kill price (I think an Emblazon daughter was the top seller that day) so I don't think the industry is eager to multiply those kind of cattle. Big Angus aren't anything all that new. We judged a class of two year old Angus bulls ~1992. I volunteered to go in the pen and stir them up a little bit to make them move and all four of them were taller than me. I don't want to throw stones at people or bloodlines but when you have so much genetic diversity floating around that every now and then the genetic roulette tosses out a frame ten 2000 lb cow you don't have enough consistency in your animals........I think the same thing when frame 1s pop up.

Kingfisher":5hnytx8y said:
Aaron":5hnytx8y said:

He needs to send us some pictures of those bad boys........what is the biggest Bull you have ever seen? I saw a bull about 4 years ago at a gas station on I35 near San Marcos that I really wish I had taken a picture of. He looked like a big Santa Gertrudis and he alone filled a 18ft trailer it appeared to me! I wish I had looked at him closer but my mind was elsewhere that day but looking back He was a brute for sure!! Some of em can get real big as you know. It's always nice to see a really big one from time to time!

Well, I work as the nightwatchman at the yards, so I don't have much chance of taking a good photo. I was around to help two other stock hands push that old girl up the receiving pens though on sale day. I am 6' and most of the other boys that work there are too, some a bit taller. If that cow would have let loose as we were pushing from behind she would have given us a good dose of shampoo. She was in the kill pen with a mature angus bull (same consignment) and she looked like a giant beside him. Now the fella who consigned, does own a dairy (Holsteins) and a black angus commercial herd. She could have had some Holstein in her for frame, but she had the muscle and build of any regular old Angus.

Biggest bull ever seen was a neighbour's 7 year old Polled Hereford that hit the scales in Winnipeg (with shrink) at 3150 lbs.

I don't mind if you don't believe me. I don't lie. In fact, I am pretty frank with people. That's why there are a few on here that don't like me and get pissy with me. Watertondifter is one of them. Although with him, he just looked at my profile and didn't like the fact that I live in Ontario. :cowboy:

Hmmm....I was there when they sold VRD's mother...she was a huge bytch....and she was around a ton.... but 3000....I have never laid eyes on a beef cow close to that big....

Aaron wrote:
Well, I work as the nightwatchman at the yards, so I don't have much chance of taking a good photo. I was around to help two other stock hands push that old girl up the receiving pens though on sale day. I am 6' and most of the other boys that work there are too, some a bit taller. If that cow would have let loose as we were pushing from behind she would have given us a good dose of shampoo. She was in the kill pen with a mature angus bull (same consignment) and she looked like a giant beside him. Now the fella who consigned, does own a dairy (Holsteins) and a black angus commercial herd. She could have had some Holstein in her for frame, but she had the muscle and build of any regular old Angus.

That Aarons got more work than a three peckered billy goat! :shock: :lol: @

AudieWyoming":30yuy6nh said:
Aaron wrote:

That Aarons got more work than a three peckered billy goat! :shock: :lol: @

We only have 4-5 sales a year. Keeps the cattle numbers high, the barn profitable and in the black (only doing 100-200 head every week would sink this barn in operating costs). So I am only employed for 12-15 nights of the year. :cowboy:

giftedcowboy":3qbiy2ig said:
Hmmm....I was there when they sold VRD's mother...she was a huge bytch....and she was around a ton.... but 3000....I have never laid eyes on a beef cow close to that big....
Right..............

She could have had some Holstein in her for frame, but she had the muscle and build of any regular old Angus.

In those really tall ones the muscle of a holstein and that of an angus usually isn't that different.

I've seen 3000lb bulls and even oxen, but a 3000lb cow still needs to be born.

The biggest cow I've sen go over the scale at our yards was a 2340 simmX-I remember her because i lost the weeight guess and had to buy dinner. I'm sure you could maybe get some big framed cows heavier if you fed the shnot out of them-why you woukld i don't know. My biggest bull was a 2840 lb char a longggggg time ago.

3000 lbs for an Angus sounds pretty big, but there are quite a few guys around here who run some of those big framey old Simmental genetics. One in particular comes to mind. I'm sure his average cow weight would be over 2400 lbs and I'm pretty sure there would be some in that field that would scale close to 3000 lbs.

Northern Rancher":2a86rdcn said:
Bet they have to strain to wean half their weight lol.

That is the exact standard by which I measure to decide how big a cow can I afford to run.

Latest posts