Angus: Countdown is on $M

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that most people on this board are happy with what they have in their pasture, and their is alot of breed pimping, which is fine, I've learned what works in some areas doesn't necessarily mean anything in a different area, really not much different than pastures and hay, what works in the south doesn't mean that its going to work in the north, breeders that do this for a living and have alot invested in their breed are not on this site, no time, no way, and tomorrow will be just fine for Angus breeders.

The Simmental folks are trying to beat Angus with CE and BW, and Angus is going back towards a larger frame. If it wasn't for SimAngus there'd be no real reason to use Simmental. Charolais does everything as well or better besides painting calves black.

Bright Raven said:
The criticism of how EPDs have been administered by AAA is profound. Ebenezer has particularly brought up several cases that suggest there are problems with the database. You cannot expect folks to read all the criticism of the AAA and feel good about joining in that breed.

At least Angus has a database, it's another tool you can use to make sound decisions. Everyone has been talking about Angus going backwards for years, and the Angus breed just keeps getting stronger.

Hook2.0 said:
True Grit Farms said:
The Simmental folks are trying to beat Angus with CE and BW, and Angus is going back towards a larger frame. If it wasn't for SimAngus there'd be no real reason to use Simmental. Charolais does everything as well or better besides painting calves black.
And now theres a black charolais breed

There's a lot of SimFord's also.

True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:
The criticism of how EPDs have been administered by AAA is profound. Ebenezer has particularly brought up several cases that suggest there are problems with the database. You cannot expect folks to read all the criticism of the AAA and feel good about joining in that breed.

At least Angus has a database, it's another tool you can use to make sound decisions. Everyone has been talking about Angus going backwards for years, and the Angus breed just keeps getting stronger.

They certainly have the largest database but many recent threads have disparaged that database. And the ones doing the disparaging are Angus followers.

Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:

They certainly have the largest database but many recent threads has disparaged that database. And the ones doing the disparaging are Angus followers.

Anytime you add people you add problems. There's a lot of good info in the Angus database, but most of the time all you hear about is the bad, it's just the way we are.

True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:

They certainly have the largest database but many recent threads has disparaged that database. And the ones doing the disparaging are Angus followers.

Anytime you add people you add problems. There's a lot of good info in the Angus database, but most of the time all you hear about is the bad, it's just the way we are.

Don't you know, that was exactly what I was baiting someone to reveal.

:lol:

I think people just enjoy being whiners.

I have thought of selling my bull.
Seems most of the Angus people have arm trouble shortly after getting them.
All that patting oneself on the back is rough on the joints.

Caustic Burno said:
I have thought of selling my bull.
Seems most of the Angus people have arm trouble shortly after getting them.
All that patting oneself on the back is rough on the joints.

Got to say, that one is clever. I am still laughing.

No point in whining, if you're not happy with what's in your pasture, then you're just waistin time and money, and if it's not making you money then you're wasting both.

Well, as a commercial operation with mostly Angus sires (AI), a good portion of our girls are 1/2 sim. But our replacements are less and less.

I'd like to breed something else into them but angus sells here. I'm seeing some char up the road I'm following. Southern cattle don't fair well here. I'd LOVE brangus. I have a sister with really big ears so I'm empathetic. (Lol)

Hook2.0 said:
True Grit Farms said:

But those black Charolais can't compare to the Black Herefords! :lol2: :hide:

Luckiamute said:
Hook2.0 said:
True Grit Farms said:

But those black Charolais can't compare to the Black Herefords! :lol2: :hide:

Black polled corriente are the way of the future.

Bright Raven said:
CreekAngus said:
Bright Raven said:
When I retired, I returned to my home state of Kentucky. I had purchased a rundown farm a few years earlier. I decided to put some cattle on it. I purchased a Cat D3G Dozer. Renovated the farm, rebuilt the infrastructure, and fenced it. I started out with 4 gigantic cows that I bought from my brother. I enjoyed it enough to decide to move up. I ask a local vet, what breed do you recommend. He said "Simmental". I have often thought that I would have been just as happy with Angus. But after spending a few years on Cattle Today, I am very glad that I did not choose Angus.

:clap: :bang: :lol:

:cboy:

Observation: there is plenty of Angus bashing around this crazy place from non-Angus folks. You read it - no azz, the black hide caper, they can't handle heat, they are all propped up by promotion, etc. Etc.

But you Angus folks also do a lot of bashing. Mostly disparaging the Angus Association. Hardly a day goes by that Angus breeders are not condemning the accuracy or administration of the AAA EPDs. Angus folks also like to pick certain bulls and beat the stuffings out of them.

All in all, I am sincere in having reached the point that I am truly glad I did not pick Angus. At one time, I would have been totally happy with a herd of Angus in my pasture. But I am being totally candid, this forum has not portrayed them in a good light.

Ron, there is a lot of money sloshing around in Angus, that's why folks are hot blooded, and it's only going to get more aggressive, as the rewards for creating the next top genetic profile increase. To the victor goes the spoils.

Gordon Gekko said it succinctly:

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Greed is right.

Greed works.

Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

And greed -- you mark my words -- will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA".

Bright Raven said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
There are bound to differences of opinions when you're dealing with a breed as popular as Angus that attracts so many breeders from various backgrounds with divergent goals and objectives.

Niche breeds aren't similarly burdened.

But you expect the competition to always be gunning for the breed on the top of the heap. In this case, you guys are eating your own. Lol
I've dabbled in other breeds and somewhat heavier in SM and GV than the rest for a good many years. That is why I do not have SM or GV now. I would easily go back to black baldies with either PH or HH as 1/2. But you are kidding yourself if you think that your cattle and breed are superior because of lack of comments. I am just not interested from my experiences.

The AAA: the people, the politics and the shenanigans rival the federal government. It is what it is and is to be exposed to keep it semi- on track for the average member.

Bright Raven said:
The system does not define the breed unless you worship the system. I thought you were looking for an honest man.

Ebenezer said:
Bright Raven said:
The system does not define the breed unless you worship the system. I thought you were looking for an honest man.

The Association is an important part of the breed. Users of the Breed rely on the keepers of record - pedigrees, EPDs, ownership, etc. IMO if you cannot rely on the Association it is a real detriment to the breed. Users of the breed buy and sell based on the keeper of the record.

Users of the breed buy and sell based on the keeper of the record.
Hog wash. "Know what you are talking about" is a good motto. Folks buy cattle or any livestock largely on the knowledge of the breeder, the herd prefix or the quest for some trait. Promotion is so much a part of Angus that it is hard to separate facts from fiction. I think you are better off discussing SMs if you know nothing of the internals of the AAA.

Good $M info with my philosophy of learn from history to avoid the same mistakes:

Roy Beebe's Six Rules to Environmentally Adapted Breeding

1. Each year, eliminate any cow that fails to calve trouble free or wean a calf.
2. Select replacement heifers from cows that breed early in the breeding season and calve unassisted.
3. Keep the bred heifers that breed early in the breeding season and calve unassisted.
4. Select herd sires with acceptable birth weights from highest-producing females in #1 & #3.
5. Breed the bulls in #4 to the females in #2 & #3 and continue to practice #1.

6. Do not engage your cattle in any activity or program that interferes or compromises rules #1 through #5.

Status
Not open for further replies.