Angus bulls to AI to this season

Help Support CattleToday:

Blackbird

Reaction score
What are the favorite angus bulls to use this season for a performance based seed stock producer?

One I haven't heard mentioned on here is Bruns Blaster. His calves certainly grow well and were my heaviest group at weaning by a good margin and good compact types as well. Worth looking at. I only sampled him 2 yrs ago but am going back to use him again this year.

Ken

I have some fall and spring Hickok calves that I really like.
https://bullsearch.absglobal.com/en-us/beef/bull/detail/2090593/breed/12/proof/6/country/222

Blackbird said:
What are the favorite angus bulls to use this season for a performance based seed stock producer?

Bubs Southern Charm
SydGen Enhance
Bar R Jet Black
Hoover .38 Special S4

My question would be, what performance? you just playing big numbers?
not sure Bubs would fit if thats what your looking for.
DL Dually
Black Onyx
Growth Fund
Territory

bse said:
DL Dually
Black Onyx
Growth Fund
Territory

Aww, good point. I misread and thought the op was looking for "good" sires.. if he just wants big numbers use this POS (IMO)
https://bullsearch.absglobal.com/en-us/beef/bull/detail/1995424/breed/12/proof/6/country/222

I plan to use Black Pearl on some of our commercial angus cows. I know he is not that popular in the with most in the Angus business but I really like him. I feel he will add some frame size to some of our cows that are getting a little on the small side.

Lazy M said:
bse said:
DL Dually
Black Onyx
Growth Fund
Territory

Aww, good point. I misread and thought the op was looking for "good" sires.. if he just wants big numbers use this POS (IMO)
https://bullsearch.absglobal.com/en-us/beef/bull/detail/1995424/breed/12/proof/6/country/222
Southside is a good bull. have had a few bulls out of him, first one gone last year and for me the best this year, haven't managed to get a female yet, need to use more of him!!

Lazy M said:
https://bullsearch.absglobal.com/en-us/beef/bull/detail/2090593/breed/12/proof/6/country/222

Do you have any pics you could share? Used him on all our heifers last month.

dbird33 said:
Lazy M said:

Hickok is at the top of my list this year on 2 Bismarck heifers and a Bismarck cow. I'd like to see pics as well if possible.

TJSideBiz said:
dbird33 said:
Lazy M said:

Hickok is at the top of my list this year on 2 Bismarck heifers and a Bismarck cow. I'd like to see pics as well if possible.
I'll see if I can get some shots of the fall Hickock calves. Here's some from this spring, but right now they just look like small black calves.. :lol:

bse said:
Lazy M said:
bse said:
DL Dually
Black Onyx
Growth Fund
Territory

Southside is a good bull. have had a few bulls out of him, first one gone last year and for me the best this year, haven't managed to get a female yet, need to use more of him!!
He may be good but every pic that I've seen looks like a steer.

kentuckyguy said:
I plan to use Black Pearl on some of our commercial angus cows. I know he is not that popular in the with most in the Angus business but I really like him. I feel he will add some frame size to some of our cows that are getting a little on the small side.

Shhhhh! You're going to let the secret out and he'll just be another "bull of the month". Seriously if you want consistently good bulls and good replacement heifers ....he works for both. I have 2 young bulls by him in service now. One will probably end up being a herd builder for us. Other is more terminal but that's his dam's fault. Black pearl calves all scored very well on genomic test he will improve numbers. Have two black pearl daughters now bred to hickock.
We skipped using black pearl for a year and after seeing how they all turned out we used him again on the majority of cows this past fall.

Midtenn said:
kentuckyguy said:

Shhhhh! You're going to let the secret out and he'll just be another "bull of the month". Seriously if you want consistently good bulls and good replacement heifers ....he works for both. I have 2 young bulls by him in service now. One will probably end up being a herd builder for us. Other is more terminal but that's his dam's fault. Black pearl calves all scored very well on genomic test he will improve numbers. Have two black pearl daughters now bred to hickock.
We skipped using black pearl for a year and after seeing how they all turned out we used him again on the majority of cows this past fall.

Black Pearl has always caught my eye. I have also seen pictures quite a few pictures of his calves, and they all look good to me. I think he will definitely help my cows.

Also have been taking a hard look at Musgrave Big Sky.

Lazy M said:
bse said:
Lazy M said:

You havent used him?
Certainly not arguing, I dont see that (i like the pedigree)but if so. Wouldn't that be good for commercial calves

bse said:
Lazy M said:
bse said:

You havent used him?
Certainly not arguing, I dont see that (i like the pedigree)but if so. Wouldn't that be good for commercial calves

I have not used him. My goal with AI is replacement females so I don't use bulls that I consider terminal.

Lazy M said:
bse said:
Lazy M said:

You havent used him?

I have not used him. My goal with AI is replacement females so I don't use bulls that I consider terminal.

totally understand that,,

:devil2:
Lazy M said:
TJSideBiz said:
dbird33 said:

I'll see if I can get some shots of the fall Hickock calves. Here's some from this spring, but right now they just look like small black calves.. :lol:

Lazy M, thanks for those. I love calving season. I have about 500 pictures of wet wobbly black calves. Can't tell one from the other but I have one (or 100) picture of each of them! :D What would you say the average BW is? I have a couple heifers that are on the smaller size and I'd rather not worry.

TJSideBiz said:
:devil2:
Lazy M said:
TJSideBiz said:

Lazy M, thanks for those. I love calving season. I have about 500 pictures of wet wobbly black calves. Can't tell one from the other but I have one (or 100) picture of each of them! :D What would you say the average BW is? I have a couple heifers that are on the smaller size and I'd rather not worry.
I haven't weighed any but I doubt if any of them were over 80 lbs. Have had no calving issues at all with Hickock and heifers

Latest posts