Angus beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

STARSIX

Reaction score
I went to sam's club this morning. It's the only store around that sells choice meat.Usually buy ribeyes, the normal packages were $8.57 a lb, right next to them were BLACK CANYON ANGUS , they had them for $5.87 a lb.
whats up? I bought the angus i"ll see if i can taste the black

STARSIX":6v9a82ey said:
I went to sam's club this morning. It's the only store around that sells choice meat.Usually buy ribeyes, the normal packages were $8.57 a lb, right next to them were BLACK CANYON ANGUS , they had them for $5.87 a lb.

Black Canyon Angus Beef Premium Reserve? They're a new one on me, but apparently they're a USDA certified brand, see the link below. Let us know how it tastes.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/beef/Farmland.htm

probably just a new "branded beef". Most likley a small company trying to get its foot in the door. what better way than to have a lower price. After all they got the most important person to by it. You!

How does this sound ?

BEEFMASTER

Americas Beef, Quality and Taste you can trust. A real Texas tradition.

On sale at your local meat market.

Sounds like whats walking around in my pasture.
after looking at my post i'm now wondering if some one reversed the 8 and the 5 on the price tag,, good thing i bought all they had

There probably is a disconnect but I was told that he raised Beefmasters near Alvin...
Nonetheless really thought there was some branded beef company in texas that used primarily brahman cross. If not maybe thats a marketing idea for some of you guys.
Is there a feedlot in South Texas that primarily feeds those breeds? Just thinkin out loud folks...

Avalon":2y8pp2de said:
There probably is a disconnect but I was told that he raised Beefmasters near Alvin...
Nonetheless really thought there was some branded beef company in texas that used primarily brahman cross. If not maybe thats a marketing idea for some of you guys.
Is there a feedlot in South Texas that primarily feeds those breeds? Just thinkin out loud folks...

Nolan Ryan's branded beef program is built around Beefmaster genetics. Many branded beef programs used to exclude Brahman influenced cattle and used the size of the ear to identify that influence. A group of Beefmaster breeders got together and started the Nolan Ryan beef program. The idea seemed to be that their calves and calves sired by their bulls would be marketed as Nolan Ryan beef. But until they had enough animals to fill the demand, they were taking other cattle, as long as they met the USDA-approved specs.

i'm guessing that although Black Canyon is certified as "Angus" it's not a graded cut. probably came from a no-roll cow.

i worked for a company that did exactly this, bought black hided cows, that wouldn't make the grade, then sold the meat off as an "Angus" product. This is completely within the USDA guidelines, the grade of the beef has nothing to do with the branding of it or the labeling of what type of beef. This way, the uneducated consumer gets that wonderful "Angus" beef at a discount price. If I remember right, the most important (and basically only) criteria for it to be "Angus" is 51% black hide. Which is why all the Limo's and Simi's and breeds like that have worked to get that black hide in there, so we can eat the shoe leather from them and think it's good beef! :) :roll:

circlet":2kkpyxgh said:
i'm guessing that although Black Canyon is certified as "Angus" it's not a graded cut. probably came from a no-roll cow.

i worked for a company that did exactly this, bought black hided cows, that wouldn't make the grade, then sold the meat off as an "Angus" product. This is completely within the USDA guidelines, the grade of the beef has nothing to do with the branding of it or the labeling of what type of beef. This way, the uneducated consumer gets that wonderful "Angus" beef at a discount price. If I remember right, the most important (and basically only) criteria for it to be "Angus" is 51% black hide. Which is why all the Limo's and Simi's and breeds like that have worked to get that black hide in there, so we can eat the shoe leather from them and think it's good beef! :) :roll:

If this is the Black Canyon Angus Beef Premium Reserve brand, it has very strict rules. It has to be graded at least Choice and is produced under USDA-approved regulations. It looks like the standerds were just approved this year. Programs like this one are driving the demand for black cattle.

I just banded a black beefmaster calf. Hes going in the freezer. Don't ask me where the black came from, everything is red and white around here. Just pops up now and then. To tell you the truth, I think I made a big mistake. Could have started the Black Beefmaster Association or something :lol:

STARSIX":2z4j3eyx said:

I don't now if I'm changing this thread but if I am, sorry.

The question on if you can taste the black or not puzzled my daughter a few years back and she did a science fair project to prove that Angus beef isn't best.
Back in 2005 at the ripe age of 9 she raised 3 steers to show at our local fair.
One Angus, one Charolais, and one pure bred Piedmonties.
After selling all the animals she asked her buyers if she could have one T-bone steak out of each steer for her project.
We had a big party inviting all the neighbors and some close friends which included about 30 people.
She bought one more T-bone from the local market and the taste test was on.
The only person who knew which steak belonged to what steer was our official barbequer'.
The results made her upset because the Angus meat won hands down, so much for her hypothesis.
The Charolais placed 2nd, store bought 3rd, and the Piedmont 4th.
The interesting thing about this taste test was that out of 30 people, 24 placed the Angus first and all 30 placed the Piedmont 4th.
Everyone said it was easy to pick their best and worst but had a hard time with the middle two. What we found out was the people who always buy their meat at the market did not like the texture of the Charolais meat, it was too mushy (their own words, not mine) and the people who raise their own meat or buy Fair animals thought the store bought meat was too tough.
After the taste test my daughter explained to everyone about marbling and why she thought everyone picked the Angus.
My daughter took 1st place in District with her project and the whole family had a great time helping her.
Soooooo I guess there is something to that Angus beef is best. :shock:
At the Fair the Charolais was heavy weight champion, Angus steer placed 2nd in his class and the Piedmont placed 3rd in his class.
Thanks for taking me back down memory lane. :D

show steer up":3l3wta0t said:
STARSIX":3l3wta0t said:

The question on if you can taste the black or not puzzled my daughter a few years back and she did a science fair project to prove that Angus beef isn't best.
Back in 2005 at the ripe age of 9 she raised 3 steers to show at our local fair.
After selling all the animals she asked her buyers if she could have one T-bone steak out of each steer for her project.
We had a big party inviting all the neighbors and some close friends which included about 30 people.
The only person who knew which steak belonged to what steer was our official barbequer'.
The results made her upset because the Angus meat won hands down, so much for her hypothesis.
The interesting thing about this taste test was that out of 30 people, 24 placed the Angus first and all 30 placed the Piedmont 4th.
Everyone said it was easy to pick their best and worst but had a hard time with the middle two. What we found out was the people who always buy their meat at the market did not like the texture of the Charolais meat, it was too mushy (their own words, not mine) and the people who raise their own meat or buy Fair animals thought the store bought meat was too tough.
After the taste test my daughter explained to everyone about marbling and why she thought everyone picked the Angus.
My daughter took 1st place in District with her project and the whole family had a great time helping her.
At the Fair the Charolais was heavy weight champion, Angus steer placed 2nd in his class and the Piedmont placed 3rd in his class.

She did her own research. What a smart kid! :)

Definitely one smart kid. And even though I run RA's, I think that if the results she got from her test were repeatable then there would not be any debate on the subject since there would be alot of repeatable studies showing that most people prefer Angus. But there isn't; and so the taste/eating experiance debate continues. I have however, seen studies that confirm the earlier maturing/marbling tendencies of Angus; and, have not seen any studies disputing this trait. So if her taste test was based on an animal age that favored the earlier marbling age of the Angus, and hence potentially less marbling than the other animals then that might explain the results of her test. The "mushy" comment is a bit unusual though. Not sure how the WB shear test would quantify that.

Frankie":1ubakdyt said:
circlet":1ubakdyt said:

If this is the Black Canyon Angus Beef Premium Reserve brand, it has very strict rules. It has to be graded at least Choice and is produced under USDA-approved regulations. It looks like the standerds were just approved this year. Programs like this one are driving the demand for black cattle.

I see you're right Frankie, most programs out there are graded programs, but I was just guessing that this program was ungraded because of the big difference in price. maybe were just having trouble getting rid of them and had to mark them down to give them away.

STARSIX":37rtl00z said:

I'm being picky, but you can't prove a negative. The rest of the project is impressive, and I have seen some good science fair projects. But, for science, if you start with a hypothesis that "Angus beef isn't best" you are on thin ice. Beef Consumer Eating Preferences as they relate to Beef Breeds is what I would have labeled it.

Please, this isn't a slam. Bet your daughter learned a lot from that work.

:D Thanks :D

She did have help with the research.
One of her girlfriends teamed up with her and since that young lady had no idea what a steer was, my daughter took her through the entire process.
I arranged for the girls a tour at the local meat packing plant. They started in the kill room and ended with the finished product. I have to say, that little city girl friend of hers did great. :D
Now……. two years later, her friend moved to Wisconsin. She lives on her uncle's ranch and bought a steer this year to show.

I think it's great!
One more kid off the streets, working hard to make a better future for there self and it all started from a science fair project.

Topkick":20u750uq said:
show steer up":20u750uq said:
STARSIX":20u750uq said:

How were they cooked and by whom gas charcoal different times or all on one grill?

Hi
My daughter wanted to answer your question.

The meat was cooked on the same grill. The grill was a gas grill. My mom had one of her friends come over and cook it. We had all the steaks seasoned all the same why. My mom's friend cooked it but there was one thing no one could know which steak was which? Only the cook could know, not even my friend and I.

john250":h40v4g1o said:
STARSIX":h40v4g1o said:

I'm being picky, but you can't prove a negative. The rest of the project is impressive, and I have seen some good science fair projects. But, for science, if you start with a hypothesis that "Angus beef isn't best" you are on thin ice. Beef Consumer Eating Preferences as they relate to Beef Breeds is what I would have labeled it.

Please, this isn't a slam. Bet your daughter learned a lot from that work.

No problem and yes I agree.
But its hard to argue with two little girls with a mission. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts