Angus beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Please, take Topkick/QualityCattle/WhyNot/et all up on the offer and let us know.

Free steaks? I'll take free steaks. Where do I send my address?

Alice

Topkick":266wqag6 said:
show steer up":266wqag6 said:
Topkick":266wqag6 said:
show steer up":266wqag6 said:
STARSIX":266wqag6 said:
I went to sam's club this morning. It's the only store around that sells choice meat.Usually buy ribeyes, the normal packages were $8.57 a lb, right next to them were BLACK CANYON ANGUS , they had them for $5.87 a lb.
whats up? I bought the angus i"ll see if i can taste the black

I don't now if I'm changing this thread but if I am, sorry.

The question on if you can taste the black or not puzzled my daughter a few years back and she did a science fair project to prove that Angus beef isn't best.
Back in 2005 at the ripe age of 9 she raised 3 steers to show at our local fair.

One Angus, one Charolais, and one pure bred Piedmonties.
After selling all the animals she asked her buyers if she could have one T-bone steak out of each steer for her project.
We had a big party inviting all the neighbors and some close friends which included about 30 people.
She bought one more T-bone from the local market and the taste test was on.
The only person who knew which steak belonged to what steer was our official barbequer'.
The results made her upset because the Angus meat won hands down, so much for her hypothesis.
The Charolais placed 2nd, store bought 3rd, and the Piedmont 4th.
The interesting thing about this taste test was that out of 30 people, 24 placed the Angus first and all 30 placed the Piedmont 4th.
Everyone said it was easy to pick their best and worst but had a hard time with the middle two. What we found out was the people who always buy their meat at the market did not like the texture of the Charolais meat, it was too mushy (their own words, not mine) and the people who raise their own meat or buy Fair animals thought the store bought meat was too tough.
After the taste test my daughter explained to everyone about marbling and why she thought everyone picked the Angus.
My daughter took 1st place in District with her project and the whole family had a great time helping her.
Soooooo I guess there is something to that Angus beef is best. :shock:
At the Fair the Charolais was heavy weight champion, Angus steer placed 2nd in his class and the Piedmont placed 3rd in his class.
Thanks for taking me back down memory lane. :D

How were they cooked and by whom gas charcoal different times or all on one grill?

Hi
My daughter wanted to answer your question.

The meat was cooked on the same grill. The grill was a gas grill. My mom had one of her friends come over and cook it. We had all the steaks seasoned all the same why. My mom's friend cooked it but there was one thing no one could know which steak was which? Only the cook could know, not even my friend and I.

I applaud you on your work. But i must say justice was not served. A piedmontese steak takes 25 to 35 percent less cooking time than regular steaks. That said if cooked the right way they are juicy and tasteful not to mention tender. My wife and i run a resturant of our own. Last Saturday night a cab rep brought an amish friend in for steak for his birthday. After he ate he was told what he ate and commented it was the best steak he had ever had. The cab rep was flabergasted being as they paid for it for the amishman. :lol:

Steaks and ribeye sandwiches are one of our specialties. WE have had nothing but compliments about them. The comments are running 100 percent the best they anyone has ever eaten. Matter of fact two major news papers in ohio are fixing to print articles about the food.

HERE was an interesting test we did we let one sundays crowd eat and pay based on what they valued the meal at. We placed no value or price on the meal and said pay what its worth.

The average ticket paid was $20.00 per person and they left an average of $20.00 tips to the waitresses. Comments were made that the steaks were better than longhorn steak house and Texas Roadhouse. We served up a 12 oz ribeye.

If you want to do the test again you might be overly surprised at just how good of an eating experience it really is.

Again I highly commend you on your undertaking.

If you wish to try it one more time, I Will have Montana Range or Montana Ranch make up a package for you and send it to you. Your mom can pm me and we will devise a way for you to get the steaks and cooking instructions free of charge.

Only MONTANA RANGE or MONTANA RANCH WILL HAVE YOUR ADDRESS AND YOU WILL HAVE TO GIVE THAT TO THEM NOT ME. BOTH OF THESE ARE LEGITIMATE BUSINESSES.

Care for some free Steaks.

He cooked them the same and we seasoned them the same and when they were done they were all medium rear. About the meat we have enough meat at my house. We keep all my LOSERS to eat . YUM,YUM,YUM. Thank u because that was nice of u to want to give your meat away. Maybe you can donate it to child haven that's what my buyers do sometimes.

circlet":3jthbjxb said:
Frankie":3jthbjxb said:
circlet":3jthbjxb said:
i'm guessing that although Black Canyon is certified as "Angus" it's not a graded cut. probably came from a no-roll cow.

i worked for a company that did exactly this, bought black hided cows, that wouldn't make the grade, then sold the meat off as an "Angus" product. This is completely within the USDA guidelines, the grade of the beef has nothing to do with the branding of it or the labeling of what type of beef. This way, the uneducated consumer gets that wonderful "Angus" beef at a discount price. If I remember right, the most important (and basically only) criteria for it to be "Angus" is 51% black hide. Which is why all the Limo's and Simi's and breeds like that have worked to get that black hide in there, so we can eat the shoe leather from them and think it's good beef! :) :roll:

If this is the Black Canyon Angus Beef Premium Reserve brand, it has very strict rules. It has to be graded at least Choice and is produced under USDA-approved regulations. It looks like the standerds were just approved this year. Programs like this one are driving the demand for black cattle.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/beef/Farmland.htm

I see you're right Frankie, most programs out there are graded programs, but I was just guessing that this program was ungraded because of the big difference in price. maybe were just having trouble getting rid of them and had to mark them down to give them away.

They might well have had to mark them down. For a while our local WalMart was selling some Choice beef labled "Angus." But they discontinued it. They said they just couldn't move it to their customers. On the other hand, one of the local supermarkets has started selling CAB. They haven't advertised that they're selling it, but tell me it's doing well. Our WalMart has also discontinued most of their "organic" fresh vegetables. They've got to supply what their customers are willing to pay for.

The lower price, if it was lower, may be because Black Canyon is a new product, too. Their USDA standards page is dated April 2007.

Topkick":3bdy7q4i said:
Frankie":3bdy7q4i said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Please, take Topkick/QualityCattle/WhyNot/et all up on the offer and let us know.

Frankie why dont you supply the cab steaks for free to them and let them be the judge mike c can supply the charolais steaks. Old angus brangus can supply the gristle.

Nope. I don't have to do anything. CAB has been tested for years and people are coming back for more. More than half a billion pounds sold annually for the last few years.

This young lady didn't expect the results she got. But you refuse to accept that she did a fair test and Angus won. Your breed was LAST. "How sweet it is." :D

Topkick":2cldbdqv said:
Frankie":2cldbdqv said:

Your cab rep sure got suprised.

He was probably being polite. :lol: :lol:

show steer up":1e3tbiu6 said:
This is mom

I have a question, what is CAB :?:

Certified Angus Beef. For a brief history: When Continental cattle become so popular here in the US, the packers were having trouble meeting the demand for higher quality beef. So they got the USDA to change the grading standards, to lower the marbling requirements. With the popularity of Continentals, demand for Angus had fallen. To offer consumers a higher quality beef and increase the demand for Angus cattle, the Angus Assn started the CAB program. It's taken about 30 years, but has been a winner for Angus breeders.

Topkick":1v6wxlbr said:
HERES HOW SWEET IT IS REALLY just look at the facts and look at the 45 pieds that averaged yg1.

How does yield grade affect the quality of the meat?

And since I'm asking questions, why would a CAB rep buy someone a steak at a restaurant that sells Piedmontese beef?

Oh, and one more. Given your irrational, obsessive hatred of Angus and CAB, why would you even let him in the door?

Oops, one more. Do you really expect us to believe that EVERY SINGLE PERSON that has eaten at your restaurant says it's the best steak they've ever had? How many have you served?

There were an awful lot of Standard carcasses in his list. How much are they discounted to Choice these days?

Topkick":2j1gb6fn said:
Frankie":2j1gb6fn said:
show steer up":2j1gb6fn said:
This is mom

Certified Angus Beef. For a brief history: When Continental cattle become so popular here in the US, the packers were having trouble meeting the demand for higher quality beef. So they got the USDA to change the grading standards, to lower the marbling requirements. With the popularity of Continentals, demand for Angus had fallen. To offer consumers a higher quality beef and increase the demand for Angus cattle, the Angus Assn started the CAB program. It's taken about 30 years, but has been a winner for Angus breeders.

Profitable Only to the sellers of seedstock. But their day has come and gone. You cant prove one ounce of their premiums the packers will not even devuldge figures to cab. That is the truth. The probable reason for this is because it would be plum embarising and criminal to devuldge it. The criminal aspect is associated with the non existant premiums. :oops: :shock:

MikeC on this board says he got CAB premiums. Are you calling him a liar?

You're not answering the question: Are you calling MikeC a liar when he says he received CAB premiums?

Topkick":3dck5k2m said:
Frankie":3dck5k2m said:
Topkick":3dck5k2m said:
Frankie":3dck5k2m said:
show steer up":3dck5k2m said:
This is mom

Profitable Only to the sellers of seedstock. But their day has come and gone. You cant prove one ounce of their premiums the packers will not even devuldge figures to cab. That is the truth. The probable reason for this is because it would be plum embarising and criminal to devuldge it. The criminal aspect is associated with the non existant premiums. :oops: :shock:

MikeC on this board says he got CAB premiums. Are you calling him a liar?

KEVIN BREWER GOT A CHECK ALSO ON 320 PIED BLACK SIMMETAL CROSS. NOW FIGURE THAT...

HERES THE QUESTION AND THE ONLY QUESTION THAT MATTERS FRANKIE. Why is iit that neither the packers nor cab can document nor will document premiums paid. Cab on one of their own web pages posted last year that through the first 26 years there was a mere 5 million in total of premiums paid.

Then lets do some average math 4 million head a year average in the cab program times 26 years thats 104 million head of cattle and the figure is a conservative number. thats how much per animal? Not 1 dollar per head not 10 cents per head but 5 cents per head. And that ammount is accurate 5 million dollars total over 26 years divided into conservative numbers. cabs own figures

No wonder you quit raising hundreds and went to15 head.

So are you now admitting that CAB premiums are paid? Or are you still calling MikeC a liar?

You're dancing arownd like a politican. Here's the same question: are you admitting CAB premiums are paid or is MikeC lying when he says he received them for his cattle?

WOW gues i'm in deep doodo bought 7 registered angus heifers AI'd to an angus bull. First calf born about a week ago.
Little black and curley hair like a poodle. Am I to wonder how i'm gonna sell it? We,ve always used an angus Bull on our comercial cattle. Now i'm confused. Am I doing the wrong thing here. I probably should have came on the board and asked advise first. Guess ya live and learn. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts