Angus AI sires 2008

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn

Reaction score
What AI sires did you use this year and why? and just to stir up some discussion what bull would you not use (or never use again) even if semen was free??

We used 3 bulls this year:

Sydgen Corona
SAF Connection (heifers)
SAF Directive

I would never use Precision. Seems to be too single trait oriented (carcass). Seen even of them to know they dont grow enough, udders arent great, or have enough scrotal circumference. Saw alot of Precisions when he first came out and was not impressed, that has not changed over the years for me. JMHO

jscunn":3413ppeq said:
What AI sires did you use this year and why? and just to stir up some discussion what bull would you not use (or never use again) even if semen was free??

We used 3 bulls this year:

Sydgen Corona
SAF Connection (heifers)
SAF Directive

I would never use Precision. Seems to be too single trait oriented (carcass). Seen even of them to know they dont grow enough, udders arent great, or have enough scrotal circumference. Saw alot of Precisions when he first came out and was not impressed, that has not changed over the years for me. JMHO

I don't know. We have calves on the ground this spring by Midland and Foresight. We still have semen on them and will likely use them again. We got the Accelerated catalog today and will look it over.

You know that you're probably not going to get the muscle and growth out of a heifer bull that you get with other bulls, so one of the things we look for in a heifer bull is good carcass quality. We used GAR Precision one year as a heifer bull. Semen was $12 or $15 a straw, so you know how long ago that was. :) I liked the calves well enough, but his WW EPD was always lower than we wanted, so we didn't buy another cane of him. That's when we picked New Design 036 for our heifer bull.

Bulls that we are using:

Riverbend Mile High 3718
BT Crossover 758N
TC Total 410
G A R Predestined
Connealy McGraw

We have calves on the ground by Mile High and they are incredibly good.
Using Crossover as a trial run due to the structural soundness.
Used Total on one cow...... looked for the best 208 son I could find and all roads point to him.
Using Predestined on some ordinary cows trying to improve numbers along with thickness.
McGraw is a young bull by Future Direction out of a Grid Maker daughter. We have one bull calf sired by him right now and he is looing very very promising.

Fall calving here so we just finished breeding
Used Total from select Sires
Big Eye from Select Sires use him for heifers
Danny from Select Sires
Game On from Select Sires

We are using
Total / Crossover / Raven / 004
We will never use Midland again. I have 5 staws that we will be donating for The Texas Junior
Scholarship program. I realize he's great for some programs, but not for mine.

Used DCC Rito Direct 3C3, DCC Rito Platinum 3J4. Will use them again. Am going to use OCC Legend on some heifers and cows. Never to use again, any NEW DESIGN, PRECISION, and EASY FORTUNE. Do not think I will use any Mytty In Focus. Have seen alot of his calves and they are lacking to say the least. Mostly bone.

Scotty,
I have heard that the In Focus calves have alot of sheath and neck leather. Is this your experience as well?

Avalon,
No longer use Midland, why? Milk?

Breding to this year:
Final Answer--- Heifers
Upward
Net Worth
Objective 3J15 --- I had one straw left from last year.

Sires that I was disipointed in? Baldridge Nabraska. I took his calves to the stock yard at weaning last year.

jscunn":254xyckw said:
Scotty,
I have heard that the In Focus calves have alot of sheath and neck leather. Is this your experience as well?

Avalon,

Reasons I'm no longer using Midland.
Price of the semen. Milk is also a factor. My customers insisit on two visual things.
Thickness and a good look. It may be the type of cows I own. but he gives me neither.

Only AI heifers, or mostlt AI heifers, bulls i have used include Nebraska 901, Lead On, Special Design 049, and Alliance I87. For pure calving ease to date the Nebraska calves definetly come easy and grow. I highly dont recommend I87 for heifers even though i only pulled 1 of 10 that were bred to him. I only used him, cause i waited and waited on semen that i was suppose to get, and it didnt arrive on time. However i was extremely happy i used him, now looking at the 2 yr old heifers by him that are about to calve. If you want cattle that are easy fleshing, high capacity, with more than addiquite growth on a 5 frame, they do it. Bulls that i will be getting calves out of in abought a month include, Morgan's Direction and Magnitude. Bulls i am considering for this spring include, Analyst,Connection, and BC Emblazon.

Bulls that look appealing

Total 410, I used him last year and the calves I have this year are great...
Magintude, I like his pedigree, like his performance, like his new numbers... But in the history of OCC genetics I am going to bred him to 6 plus frame Focus of Er or Right time daughters...
On Target 1038, He is just doing things right, I believe he is an easy replacement for growth, carcass, and looks over his sire

Proven bulls,
Predestined, he is working
EXT, still working
095, love the daughters when crossed with EXT ...

Questions for the board...

Ankonian Werner Wildfire.... I think this could be one of the better looking sons of 004, i like his mass and true beef structure, he also has enough bone and rear quarter to keep true to a beef bull... Waiting on his calves, anyone out there with some ??

jscunn":c488z434 said:
Scotty,

Avalon,

Yes they are a little sheathy. Not too bad.

Dusty":3jcbz4ak said:
Ankonian Werner Wildfire.... I think this could be one of the better looking sons of 004, i like his mass and true beef structure, he also has enough bone and rear quarter to keep true to a beef bull... Waiting on his calves, anyone out there with some ??

I am interested to see how Werner Ultimate does. 004 over Rita 2811 of 2536 BVND 878

Dusty":1t325mec said:
Bulls that look appealing

Total 410, I used him last year and the calves I have this year are great...
Magintude, I like his pedigree, like his performance, like his new numbers... But in the history of OCC genetics I am going to bred him to 6 plus frame Focus of Er or Right time daughters...
On Target 1038, He is just doing things right, I believe he is an easy replacement for growth, carcass, and looks over his sire

Proven bulls,
Predestined, he is working
EXT, still working
095, love the daughters when crossed with EXT ...

Questions for the board...

Got a 6.5 frame cow and am going to use OCC Legend on her. Really liking the 2 calves my buddy bought.

I am going to use Magnitude, Rito Legacy 3R9, and N Bar Prime Time D806 on heifers with a Bannon of Wye son and a Legacy son for cleanup....I may try MT Time- but prefer bulls that are a little more proven.....

Final Answer is the calving ease bull of choice. I will be using both Right Time 338 and VRD (Dateline) to improve structure and performance. Just a few cows who are large frame will be breed to New Day. I really dont like the Precision line. The biggest complaint you hear from commercial guys, are the Angus bulls are beginning to lack width and capacity. When we stack Precision on top of 6I6 then New Design. We end up with cattle that are to refined and small boned. They have great EPDs and look good on a side shot. When you look at them head on they disappear. We have also pushed the calving ease too far. Angus have always been known and admired for their calving ease. The breed has been driving the BWs down lower and lower. Bulls like VRD and 338 were both 88lbs at birth. That to me that is ideal, but neither bull has a great BW EPD. I hope we begin to see a trend away from the carcass EPDs and go back to functional and moderate cattle.

Have a fall herd so bred on 12/8. Bred heifers to Bextor most are out of a Precision 1680 son. Bred Expectation cows to Predestined, Ideal 7451 cows to Retail Product, also used some Big Eye. Cleanup sire is a Net Present value from Jorgensons in SD.

Latest posts