angle bracing t posts?

Help Support CattleToday:

kjones

Reaction score
Has anybody seen or used those brackets for angle bracing t posts? If so what are your opinions?

One more. The fence can not be too long. It will pull the posts up. I would pass.

They seem like a joke to me. If you actually could set the posts strong enough, the post themselves couldn't take the stress. Think about it. You can drive a T-Post then bend it over by hand. The post itself does not have enough tensile. So if the brace did hold, the post would bend under stress.

The reason I was asking is because I'm getting ready to fence a field. One run of fencing will be under water most of the winter. I thought if I used wood posts, they might rot out quick, and possibly t posts would work. It sounds like I might just be better off replacing the posts sooner though. Thanks for you input.

kjones":2ok0dabl said:
Has anybody seen or used those brackets for angle bracing t posts? If so what are your opinions?

I have some on a two strand HT electric fence. I used them because I couldn't get a tractor and driver in those places(pond area). They were put in, in 99. Haven't had any problems with it. I used 7' post. This area has standing water in wet spells.

I've used them also in areas that were too wet to get a wood post in and have not had any problem with them. But I only run 2 strands off them.

Instead of buying the brackets, use an angle grinder and make notches in the posts to hold them in place. I thought the brackets were way over priced and found this works just as good.

I've used a lot of them. The only way they've held up over the years is to use the angled post the same wahy you would use athe angled brace post for a floating brace. Some of the stuff is field fence, some single strand heitensile hot and some is 3, 4 and 5 wire barbed.

dun

Cowdirt, I'll concede that it would be best to stay really wet, not necessarily under water in order to never rot. But, even if it dried out completely the Summer months, it would last far longer than a dryland post. :)

ga. prime":1jitzawp said:
Cowdirt, I'll concede that it would be best to stay really wet, not necessarily under water in order to never rot. But, even if it dried out completely the Summer months, it would last far longer than a dryland post. :)

Old sailing ships were made of wood and it was not unusual for them to be floating for more than 50 years. Some were then turned into prison scows and they lasted even longer.

Wood in water or very wet ground lasts a long, long time.

Bez>

Bez>":3r3upw9r said:
ga. prime":3r3upw9r said:

Old sailing ships were made of wood and it was not unusual for them to be floating for more than 50 years. Some were then turned into prison scows and they lasted even longer.

Bez>

Why is that? It seems logical that wood under water would rot out faster than wood in dry ground. :???:

msscamp":1ok65okc said:
Bez>":1ok65okc said:
ga. prime":1ok65okc said:

Bez>

Why is that? It seems logical that wood under water would rot out faster than wood in dry ground. :???:

Needs oxygen to rot. It will become wqater logged and may deteriorate over time, but it won;t rot

There was a company that was salvaging 100 year old logs off the bottom of the Alabama River that were there as the result of steamboats sinking that were transporting the logs to the mill. The logs had plenty of heart in them and that's what this company was after. They were milling these logs that had laid buried in the mud for decades into flooring and cabinets.

dun":31ezft3p said:
msscamp":31ezft3p said:
Bez>":31ezft3p said:
ga. prime":31ezft3p said:

Bez>

Needs oxygen to rot. It will become wqater logged and may deteriorate over time, but it won;t rot

The fungus that causes rot won't grow underwater and the bugs can't get to it.

Soak a piece of wood in water and lay it on the ground though.
The bugs love it when it's wet and soft.....................and the fungus needs moisture to grow.

Latest posts