An Embarassing Story

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
I haven't actively posted on this board for about 5 years so those of you who have been around for awhile may remember me. For most, though, I'm probably a new face. I've had cattle since I was a kid and this is the first time something like this has ever happened to me. Let me first say that these days, I'm working construction full time and farming part time and between the long hours and the late night checks, I'm running a bit short on sleep. I'm about half way through calving season and so on Thursday night, I had a cow that I knew should be calving and was out doing my 2 AM check. I got out there and old #138, the cow I was waiting to calve, was nursing a calf and there was a new calf laying out right beside old #34. So, on Friday morning, I wrote them in my little book. #138 and #34, the 10th and 11th calf this year. Fortunately, we're building an RTM house right near the cattle pen right now and so I can kind of keep an eye on things through the day. Friday there was a big disturbance. Calves missing, cows frantic and looking for them. Somebody had left the fence off and the calves had ended up out in the bush somewhere. So, after work, I went out to count calves and I've only got ten. So, I walked through the bush until dark trying to find this missing calf with no luck. In the meantime, I get looking closer and realize that I've got one calf out of the ten that's off by himself and looks like it isn't being fed. Its quite weak and dehydrated and so I pull it up to the cows and it goes around trying every cow and none will accept it except one stupid heifer that lets anything drink from it and so I know I have an abandoned one, but he's at least had a drink. Saturday AM, I start at 6 AM trying to at least find some trace of this missing calf. I also grab the esophageal feeder and give the other little calf a shot because at this point, he can't seem to manage the bottle. Over the day, I spent about 5 hours looking for the missing calf. I then watch to see who isn't feeding a calf. To my surprise, its old #34. It makes no sense. She's over ten years old and she should know the drill, but I'm sure that it has to be her because all the other cows have their calves except for one heifer (#44) and I know that her calf is quite a bit smaller than this one and so her's must be the calf that is missing. I make a mental note to ship her in the fall because she seems pretty nonchalant about the fact that her calf is missing. I haul old #34 up into the corral and start the process of loading her into the chute twice a day so the calf can suck off her. I set up a pail of oats for her at the front of the chute and as time goes on, it gets easier loading her in because she knows the oats are there. So, did that Saturday, twice Sunday, twice yesterday and by this morning, the cow was letting the calf suck on its own, so I let her out in the alleyway to graze and so I can still watch her. The last couple of days, I've been at a different job site, and when I came home tonight, there were two calves laying in the alleyway, but I figured that one had just ducked the fence and had come in. So, I kicked the cow and both calves out with the rest of the cows. Just before dusk, I went to check again and there was a calf back laying in the alleyway and on closer observation, I can see that its new and looks like it hasn't been fed. As near as I can figure, this must be #34's calf and the calf I grafted on to #34 was #138's calf and the calf that #138 is nursing belongs to that heifer #44, which means that there never was a missing calf and the reason #44 is so nonchalant is because her calf is still there, but just being nursed by another cow.So, I guess tomorrow morning, I'll go get some colostrum amd begin the process of grafting #34's calf onto #44. I've been around cows for 40 years and this is the first time something like this has ever happened to me. I'm so confused

:oops:

I know how that can be. When my Dad got sick and couldn't take care of the place I had the same situation as you. Just enough time to do the essentials in a half assed way. I remember one cow having a calf. Several days to a week later I was out in the pasture and laying up against the fence was a little calf. Neighbors cows were right on the other side and mine were a mile away in another pasture. So, being a good neighbor, I slipped the calf under the fence. It took off towards the neighbors cows so I figured I did a good deed. Well later on I find out I'm missing a calf........evidently the one I pushed under the fence. Never did find it back.

Will be 5 years tommorow that I put the flame out on one end of the candle and hung up my hammer. :banana: Started vacation April 15th, went back to work April 29th for a half a day then came home to bale hay. :lol2:

weve all had that happen 1 time or another.whats worse is knowing you have 1 ready to calve an cant find her.an you spend a few days riding the pastures hunting only to find her when she wants tobe found.

Next year you chould consider ear tagging each calf the first day it's born.

lannce":1hq3jzyn said:
Next year you chould consider ear tagging each calf the first day it's born.

I used to do that and for some guys its probably good practice. After working 10 or 12 hours a day doing construction, I usually figure I'm doing pretty well getting my chores done and the cows checked once or twice a night. Also, about 8 years ago, I had a cow come after me in a big way. I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't been lucky enough to get behind a tree, that I would have been badly injured or worse. All that stuff they tell you about the cow not attacking if you keep the calf between you and her is a bunch of crap. As it was, they were already out on pasture and all summer, she kept trying to sneak around behind me to attack again. I don't have cows that are quite that aggressive any more, but I still have a few that get a little upset when you get too close to their calves in the first few days and that seems to persist alot longer if you actually attack their calf and tag and band it. I usually just pull the calves into the chute about 5 or 6 weeks into calving and get another set of hands to hold them while I tag and band them. Just easier and safer for me. Anyway, got #44 into the chute and the calf is still sucking aggressively enough that it seems to be getting its belly full whether that heifer likes it or not. Now, just got to wait a couple of days for her milk to work its way through the calf's system and hopefully that calf should be grafted

CRR, it is good to see you back on CT after all those years of being away. When you have a bit of time, why don't you favor us with some of your poetry. As I recall, you were quite the poet 5 or 6 years ago!

They are clever lil animals, I've had 2-3 calve at the same time, then only have found 2 calves, thinking maybe I got it wrong and only 2 calved, only to realize that the 3rd calf was in hiding the whole time, sometimes it takes a bit to figure it all out-don't feel like a idiot-I think sometimes the cows just sit back and laugh at me-while I'm sitting there trying to figure it out too-

as long as you have a way to get a mother for every calf, it doesn't matter all that much who the mother is.

Welcome back to the boards, I'm kinda new here.. been here about 2 years and enjoy it, though I'm not on all that much

Well, I did finally get it all worked out and I've now got three calves nursing off the wrong mothers. I'm a little concerned that the heifer is feeding the one cow's calf as well as the calf that was originally stolen by the other cow. If it puts too much strain on her, she may come in open in the fall but if she raises a good calf, I'll likely give her a second chance. I find that second calf can be a tough one to get sometimes in our area.

Cattler Rack, Been wondering where you got off to.
You should spend more time on the boards sharing poetry.
In case you hadn't noticed, all those hours working will make you tired. (Don't ask how I know.)

Confusing to say the least. Hope it all works out, that is a full plate you have there with calving and your "real" job. Good luck with the rest of your calving season.

Last year I was scratching ny head for a few minutes as well. Went out to check and 4 cows had just calved but there were 6 new borns. The cows all had a calf that they were either laying beside, nursing or cleaning off. BUT there were 2 newbies fully cleaned off walking around bawling. It tooks me a while to figure out which ones had the twins.
I have to tag them as soon as they are born, as most of the calves look alike and there is no way I could keep track of who's who. Thankfully the girls are usually really good about it.

Well, dummy that I am, I just picked up another half section of land from my brother. I thought I was dealing on it for purchase in December but suddenly, its for purchase now and he already lined up a renter and told him that I was going to charge him about $700 less than what I think I could get for rent on the land. Of course, I'm a bit late for having much for options as far as trying to advertise it for rent to anybody else as most guys already have their pasture lined up for the summer. So, now I'm being pushed to get out and fix fence on property that I don't even have title to yet by the guy who wants to rent it. On the up side, I now have more land to expand at will. I think farming 50 or 60 head probably wouldn't be much more work than feeding 25 head. In the short term, though, I think I'll just rent it out and try to at least get enough to pay the interest and taxes on the purchase price and let my 'real' job pay it off over time.