Looks like an august calver

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Shes a 2 plus year old heifer. The one I spoke about growing wheels if she doesnt spit one out soon.
Pretty dang excited really. I think she may be the first one from my hereford bull. Shes out of my very first cow I raised. And a chi influenced bull. See if I can find a pic of those 2 later. Ive heard tell chi sometimes grow a bit more b4 they breed. Idk. Sounds like an excuse to me. I'll add pics if/when she does it. Definitely making a bag. Starting to spring. Heifer.... lol
A lil suspense is always fun.

Found a pic of the 2 of em. Bull on left. My very first mama on the right. He was a very young bull in that pic. Cant find a recent pic.

I've kept all 3 heifers outta my 1st gal. Wrong or right, idk. Shes had 2 bulls too. She always makes the biggest calf. They are half grown when she spits em out.
Anyway. Still waiting not so patiently...

She was bred to a mini dexter for her first calf. The bull loaner told me I was gonna laugh when she calved. His calves are usually about 45 pounds. Nope. Not with this mama. Her first heifer, half dexter was huge! I kept her anyway. She lost her first calf.

2nd calf was a heifer out of a son of total recall. Good heifer. She made a ginormous bull calf that came backwards, and she went bananas when I tried to catch her to pull it. Lost that one too.

This is her third. Most likely bred to my hereford.

Hopefully it goes well....

wbvs58 said:
Oh well Murray. Mark it down in your diary for 9 mths down the track.

Ken

No way dude.
If she dont calve by the time I sell my calf crop, she is outta here! I really like her but shes been on the payroll way too long. Pretty certain shes bred, just waiting...

Not the one I'm waiting on but an august calver none the less... got a couple more may go ahead and have em this month too.
This calf is most definitely out of my one nut bull. I put him over there after the double bull loss. And after the vet told me he only had one testicle working. I watched him breed this cow when i cubed them November 27th. So shes a couple weeks early. I bet it's a heifer!
We will see soon as I get the chance to tag it.

Took 15 pics. Only one came out worth posting. Lol
Pretty sure it's a heifer. Definitely out of ol Dan Tucker.
I bet he got about half of em.
That's a very tall 1500 pound cow. So not a tiny calf I reckon.

Got that big black....uh, baldy laying down when everyone else came up. May have another one tmrw...
We will see.

Alright. Back to the gal I originally posted about. Dont think its hap'nin this month. Perhaps I jumped the gun when I saw she was starting to make a bag. Still looks like shes starting to make a bag. Lol
My hereford at the other place has looked like this for a couple months now. I had all them pregged. The herf was 7plus. So perhaps I'll just wait... like I have a choice!!
I'd rather she waited a month or so more anyway.

Found the black baldy heifer in no man's land.
I had just about gave up all hope.
Some of that place is pretty rough. Poison ivy, brush, etc.
Anyway. Found her with the calf halfway out. Dead.
Amazingly mama is still alive. She had been at it a while. The front half of the calf was dry. Took a good hard pulling. Guessing about 80 pounder. She was bred to my bwf bull. I've had heifers calve to him no problem. I had 1 heifer required a minor assist.

This is the second heifer I've encountered this problem with. First one was a couple years ago. Get half out and give up. I dont git it.

Anyway.
Mama is alive. I hung out quite a while hoping she would get up. I'll check on her in the morning.
Any suggestions as to what else I could do?

Thanks.

If she won't even roll up and look around she probably won't be alive much longer no matter what you do. If she's just got some weakness in the back legs, an anti-inflammatory from your vet might help. She probably needs feed and water brought to her if she's been there a while.

She moves her head about a little. Rear legs are NOT working yet. Honestly I figured she was dead when I finally found her.
Sometimes we forget the simple things like food and water. Thank you!!

Helluva way to wrap up august.
Had to put a stop to the black baldies suffering.
She wouldnt eat or drink and she had prolapsed sometime today. Still hadn't moved. I've lost a calf or two, but this is the first cow/heifer I couldnt save.
Very sad evening for me.

Part of the job I know, but it still sucks.

Latest posts