Can an unbred cow make bag

Help Support CattleToday:

garnetann

Reaction score
Opinions. Breanna the cow has not really bagged up or ran snot this spring. My calving window closes in two weeks. I have assumed Breanna did not settle.

A while back, her last year's calf was trying to suck so we put a nose ring on the calf, problem solved. Now it is looking like Breanna is making a bag. Is it possible the calf sucking stimulated her to make milk, or she is actually bred and will calve. I know I could get her in and preg her, but my question is could a yearling calf sucking really stimulate a cow to make a bag if they are not bred...?

If she's still got two weeks before the calving Window closes, I'd bet she is bred and will be calving. Has she had any discharge? Does she look bred? How long ago was her calf weaned? If her calf wasn't weaned for long and tried to nurse again it could make her come back Into milk.

her calf was weaned last fall, and until a few months ago, we did not have any problems. Breanna is definitely making bag, but being an older cow, she does not show much. I think last year, she made bag, and calved a few days later. No discharge, just suppose I will wait it out...

Hopefully she will have you a new calf soon. It's definitely harder telling with an older cow sometimes.

Feed lot hfrs will start producing milk if one in the group starts sucking.
I bet Breanna is bred.
Had a big framed cow calve in the night last night. Not springing yesterday, nice 75lb calf this morning. If you didn't notice a little blood on her tail, you'd never guess she had calved. Been bagging for two weeks.

Latest posts