american history part deux

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Land Remembered by Patrick Smith is an excellent story about the Florida Cattle Era.

Right now, Texas is 10 times Florida in production. I think it has a lot to do with more and more citrus groves being planted.

backhoeboogie":38t9aqwn said:
Jalopy":38t9aqwn said:
What are some of everyone's perspective on the"Great Depression"? Could it have been avoided ? Was it predestined because of the long-term economic cycles in USA and the World?
My parents and grandparents lived thru it and it stayed with their thoughts all the rest of their lives and how they managed their money and feeding their families.
I know some say it had political beginnings,but I am more interested in the economic causes and results. Please avoid as much political reference as possible.

It absolutely changed people's thinking. It made them conservative. It made them innovative.

My grandfather never threw anything away. He had over 60 boxes of spark plugs in his cabinet. They were all used. Each time he bought a box of plugs, he would put the old plugs back in the individual box and the whole set back into to case box. They were all neatly stacked in the cabinet. Looked brand new until you opened the boxes. Points and condensors too.

Old timers keep nails. Old bent up nails in cans and buckets. They would reuse them.

I watched one of the richest men I ever knew make a sack needle out of an old nail. He flattened the head on an anvil. Then he drilled it for his eye. He took a file and sharpened it and buffed all the rough edges off on the eye end. You could tell he had done this many times before.

I think my generation has lost that conservative mentality. We buy everything. We would not hesitate to spend a couple of dollars on a needle to sew feed sacks with. If we had spent an hour making that needle, we would do a much better job keeping up with it.

I still straighten nails and fence staples re roll wire that was taken down.
My grand kids think I am absolute nuts for doing it.
I used 50 year old treated post the other day to rebuild an H brace from treated post bought in
2005 that had rotted out. Every old wooden bridge they tear out around here I get all the old timbers for clean up.
I know it doesn't look like much but the old house Dad and I salvaged every piece of it,
had a 12x20 bedroom 12x24 living room and kitchen along with one full bath a/c and heat.
We tore down oil field compressor sheds for the material and and old duplex apartment.
When we finished had fifty dollars in insulation cost in it.

TexasBred":2azl24gz said:
backhoeboogie":2azl24gz said:
There's no doubt some of that abuse happened. Written accounts in court records. Family division was used as a punishment. Substandard living quarters. Control too. But that was not an absolute for each and every one. History, Hollywood and TB paints it that every black woman gets raped and every black man gets whipped and beaten. I've read diaries where blacks were given a chance on cattle drives. They were told to come up next to the fire and sit around the circle with the rest of the boys. There are men who beat their wives today. Yes there are still people like that.
Boogie many were raped, beaten and killed. Where the he!! do you think the pure black went and was replaced with brown and "high yellow"? You read too many diaries. Where the heck do you find them all?? Remember that too is "one persons's" opinion of what is happening so also questionable. You can deny that the abuses happened or claim they were rare but the fact of he matter is that slaves raped, beaten and abused for hundreds of years. Now as for cattle drives...you always drift back to those...doubt very many "slaves" made any cattle drives..maybe a few in Texas. Somebody had to cook and they probably brought a couple of nice looking women along to keep the cowboys serviced especially those Acadians coming out of La. with cattle. They were inbreeding with the blacks pretty regularly...where do you think that good food and music came from. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: NOw I'm finished with this thing. Ya'll can keep it going as long as you like.

Yes slave women were raped. Absolutely. Women are still being raped today - everywhere. It's pitiful.

backhoeboogie":15fdzcu1 said:
Yes slave women were raped. Absolutely. Women are still being raped today - everywhere. It's pitiful.

It is. And I sure won't minimize that fact, as I know three women who have been raped.
At least today, and at least in the US, there is some hope of justice for women who are raped. (Although there is a woeful backlog of untested DNA in many jurisdictions).
But for slave women, your master owned you. I rather doubt a slave could go to the local police and report her owner raped her? Sounds like TB has read up on the laws of the time. Maybe he will weigh back in here, but I'd be willing to bet that the number of times a slave owner was punished for the rape of a slave is approximately zero. Just a guess.

Think about what that would do to a person's mind. Maybe a worse violation than the physical one, being raped and knowing that the owner could do whatever he wanted with your own body. and wasn't a d@mn thing you could do about it. Think about what that kind of loss of bodily self-determination does to soldiers in captivity, for example. Often fries their minds...it tears away our fundamental sense of self. I guess what I'm saying is, we have to consider the whole picture, including the psychological devastation.

backhoeboogie":1hkrvlng said:
Today they do have a small change of fighting back and even stopping the rape attempt.....slaves had zero chance of preventing anything from happening to them when dealing with the massa and the other white folks on the plantation. Afterall they produced "more slaves". And it wasn't considered "rape". It was simply understood that the massa owned you an he held you life in his hand and could end it almost at anytime and without question. You simply ceased to exist.

Hook":2dxg4wq3 said:
Slavery is a part of American history. But it's just that. History. The only damage being done to the black community these days is being done by the black community

True to a point but their is still a lot of hatred of blacks by whites in the world especially in the south and it doesn't take long to find it if you go looking and listening.......but the white man knowingly kept the black down as long as they could and many of us are old enough to have witnessed this first hand.

But yes the black man in many cases is not doing much to improve himself in any form or fashion. Only thing worse is white trash...they have no excuse.

Hook":2t0vj3d9 said:
Slavery is a part of American history. But it's just that. History. The only damage being done to the black community these days is being done by the black community

Really?
I have a good friend who is a friggin JUDGE. She is black. Long married to an educated black man. Have cute, well-behaved kids. Lives in the Midwest. When they moved to a new community and started attending a local church, several of the nice church women came over to greet them after the service and the first words out were: "You must have moved into the XYZ homes?" (that being the local housing projects). These good churchgoing folks just assumed that because they were black, they were ghetto.
In the local schools, her son tested into the gifted range, but was not offered a slot in the gifted program with the white kids. She had to put up a fuss and then the principal said Oops, it was an "oversight."

This wasn't 50 or 20 or even 10 years ago. We're talkin' over the past year or two.

Try being a middle class black family who has done everything right, and is trying to live in an environment where whites are not used to "seeing" (literally or figuratively) middle class black families. I think you'd then agree we still have a ways to go before we are a colorblind society...

And in terms of "slavery" being over, we are only a blink of an eye past it--just a few generations removed. I know that I am in some part a product of the experiences and lives of my ancestors in the preceding generations. Do you really think that if say, your great great grandparents had been slaves, that that might not still be reverberating down your family tree? I know there are things that happened in my family generations ago that we are still dealing with ripple effects of today; can you honestly say that's not true of your family?

Your judge fiend is the exception. Can't move forward when an entire segment of the populace is looking back and blaming all their problems on another segment of the populace. There's no getting around this one small fact.

Hook":2rv2oo4o said:
Your judge fiend is the exception. Can't move forward when an entire segment of the populace is looking back and blaming all their problems on another segment of the populace. There's no getting around this one small fact.
Hook that is exactly what "the south" has been doing for 165 years...blaming the north "segment". Someday we'll learn that change begins with and individual making a change. Even a small change instead of keeping that attitude that "that boy needs to learn his place".

Hook":2a14qfem said:
Your judge fiend is the exception. Can't move forward when an entire segment of the populace is There's no getting around this one small fact.

You said "entire segment." So: How is she "looking back and blaming all [her] problems on another segment of the populace " ?

Am I the only person in America that has worked for a black man? My gosh, so tired of the division tactics boondocks. You can divide people a thousand ways. What is racist? Making one kid pay for their entire school and giving one an entire free ride because of the color of their skin, or asking if they live in xyz neighborhood?

Sat next to a black man on a plane coming home a few weeks ago. I'm sure you'd be surprised from all your drivel that he somehow made it into law school and was a quite successful lawyer. He was coming into the state to represent on of the largest corporation in the US in their industry. I bet he could sell you a couple times over and doesn't give a crap what you think of him or where he might live.

Same should be said for the judge you mentioned. She shouldn't care what a couple people think- good or bad. Thoughts aren't to be outlawed, only actions that harm someone else's rights.

People think a lot of things that are wrong daily. The old man in the beat up truck often has more money in the bank than the idiot driving a BMW. Who cares what someone thinks that is walking down the street or sitting down the pew.

Hook":11vbgqjm said:
Correction. Tax payers

You aren't keeping up Hook. A certain segment of our population doesn't like the use of the term taxpayer being used any longer. So please cease and desist or someone may report you to the IRS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts