american history part deux

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

melking

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack gimpys thread but it occurred to me while reading it that I get more irritated everyday when I learn another history fact that was not taught to us correctly. I listened to a program on the radio that said Abraham Lincoln was responsible for the massacre of 39 Indians just because a supporter of his asked him to. I went elsewhere and looked, and apparently it is true. Not for the fact itself, but I would like to be the master of my own thoughts without having lies fed to me when I was a youngster.
Anyone else have any of these examples?

Lots of them. Read diaries of the 1800's. You'll see more.
How many times have you witnessed a catastrophe and the media reported it different than what you saw?

backhoeboogie":2763ysgf said:
Lots of them. Read diaries of the 1800's. You'll see more.
How many times have you witnessed a catastrophe and the media reported it different than what you saw?

You are right backhoe, every time there is a hurricane in our area, my mom's news channel in Indiana reports us wiped out.
But the thing is, lots of different people know differently. Why continue to lie to the kids in school

melking":2seu6gw0 said:
TexasBred":2seu6gw0 said:

Like I said Texasbred, story aside, why do we continue to be fed only the things that someone wants us to know, and Who is that someone?
Mel all I can say is that it would be next to impossible to classroom teach 200 years of historical activity in a year.Teachers often only have time to simply plant the topic in your mind and can't teach every detail. A lot of this is what you and I use to read on our own. Don't know if anybody bothers anymore or not.

When Franklin D. Roosevelt made his historical speech "A Date Which Will Live in Infamy" and asked the nation for a Declaration of War he was doing cocaine and the ships used to attack Pearl Harbor were built and sold to Japan by Britain and Britain had been begging the US to join them to fight the Axis Powers but the people wanted to remain neutral. Prior to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, FDR had been secretly supplying arms to China which is a violation of neutrality conditions.

Jogeephus":1rf3gzwr said:
When Franklin D. Roosevelt made his historical speech "A Date Which Will Live in Infamy" and asked the nation for a Declaration of War he was doing cocaine and the ships used to attack Pearl Harbor were built and sold to Japan by Britain and Britain had been begging the US to join them to fight the Axis Powers but the people wanted to remain neutral. Prior to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, FDR had been secretly supplying arms to China which is a violation of neutrality conditions.

They had something on television about deep sea investigations of the Lusitania a while back. Apparently the things we were taught about that ship's cargo and explosion weren't exactly true either. After all these years.

crimsoncrazy":2v21woj9 said:
What we did to Indians is a very sad deal.

No offense but we did to them nothing more than they had been doing to each other for hundreds of years......time to take off those rose colored glasses.

in the future, the history book will reflect what is portrayed by today's media.

Lincoln's order to Sibley—in his own handwriting—allowed the execution of only 39 of the 303 condemned Dakota.

Of these, 29 had been convicted of murder, three for having "shot" someone, two for participating in "massacres," and one for mutilation. As Lincoln told the Senate, only two had been convicted of rape. Curiously, the president allowed the executions of two men who were convicted merely for participating in battles. Lincoln spared Godfrey, as the military commission requested, and two weeks later spared another man due to newly discovered exculpatory evidence. "The other condemned prisoners," Lincoln ordered Sibley, "you will hold subject to further orders, taking care that they neither escape, nor are subject to any unlawful violence." With his "massacres" versus "battles" standard, Lincoln offered clemency to 265 of the condemned Dakota, or 87 percent of them.

I grew up in Il. I hate that state and they are so proud of the fact that Lincoln was from that crap hole state. he was not the Great man history makes him out to be , It is a little know fact that he was a manic depressant in which he made some poor choices while in the white house. The man had a dark side to him that history doesn't talk about , He killed more than those Indians.

retro":201cpbpv said:
I grew up in Il. I hate that state and they are so proud of the fact that Lincoln was from that crap hole state. he was not the Great man history makes him out to be , It is a little know fact that he was a manic depressant in which he made some poor choices while in the white house. The man had a dark side to him that history doesn't talk about , He killed more than those Indians.

Actually, his "dark side" has been talked and written about quite a bit. Here's just a snippet, from Lincoln's Melancholy: How Depression Challenged a President and Fueled His Greatness:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4976127.

(Sounds like he had depression rather than bipolar. Not surprising if you consider all the loved ones he lost).

I think a lot of people admire him for what he was able to accomplish despite it...

History in books and in History text books are all subject to the editors opinions not only the reported "facts" of the authors. Add to this the fact of economics of the committee that purchases the text book along with their biases there is a lot of interpretation of history. Sometimes oral history may be as accurate as written.

retro":3naj3mls said:
Don't just leave us hanging. Tell us more specifics.

It is shear luck he ever became president.
Had the northern and southern democrats not been in house fighting
for power. They split the party and allowed Lincoln to slip in.
You can make up any reason you want about the events at the time.
It simply was about power of those in control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts