American Aberdeen Angus/Lowline angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Lowline was an experiment. The conclusion of the experiment was that the Lowline was not as efficient as the Highline. They were earmarked to be destroyed, but since someone wanted them, they auctioned them off - and the Lowline registry got started.
They are a nitch market breed. If you understand that you won't have a "normal" market value, it doesn't make any different what I or any other breeder might think of them.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Lowline was an experiment. The conclusion of the experiment was that the Lowline was not as efficient as the Highline. They were earmarked to be destroyed, but since someone wanted them, they auctioned them off - and the Lowline registry got started.
They are a nitch market breed. If you understand that you won't have a "normal" market value, it doesn't make any different what I or any other breeder might think of them.

That's literally the opposite of the results lol

Stephanie said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley said:

That's literally the opposite of the results lol
Please supply the data or link that supports/proves the opposite results.

Appears lowline association does not collect data and supply results, mostly just collects money and supplies registration papers. Breeding lowlines to small frame Red Angus and registering with Red Angus Association would give you more bang for buck spent registering.

A lot of cattlemen like Red Angus, so no need to go black and you could carve out a small frame/lowline Red Angus niche within a well established and respected breed association that works for it's money serving members, collecting and dispersing genetic data.

It took me some digging, because all the articles you pull up when researching, CONVENIENTLY, EXCLUDE the following paragraphs:
http://www.ngaherelodge.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Lowline-Angus-Briefing-Paper.pdf
"The protein conversion performance of the High Line and Low Line animals was monitored
on an individual basis, and then recorded. The Trangie Research Centre concluded that the
High Line animals were about five percent more efficient converters of grass to meat than
the Low Line.
Nevertheless, the computer printouts which showed the best performers
were High Lines and the least effective performers were Low Lines
, also showed that for the
great bulk of High Lines and Low Lines their efficiency as protein converters were much the
same. "
"The NSW Agricultural Department was proposing to terminate the experiment, sending the cattle
from the trial to abattoirs for slaughter but after some hesitation, and after strong representation,

complete dispersal sales were held at Glen Innes and at Trangie and the cattle were sold into private
ownership. "

I am not saying they are not useful in a nitch market. I am just stating what the REAL story behind them is. The only reason I knew this, was I have a good friend that has family in NZ & Australia. He told me the real story.
Simply put, they were destined to be destroyed, but somebody wanted them, so they put them up for auction.

Very interesting Jeanne, thanks for the link.
A 19 year study (1974 - 1993) is impressive.
For lowlines to be able to come close to holding their own pound for pound verses the best.....
(Angus of course :) ).... speaks well of them.

Correct - but all their hype is how efficient they are.
Whether you have an 800# cow or a 1400#, you have the same amount of YOUR TIME invested in them. They only give you one calf per year.
We all strive for that ONE calf per cow to pay the years expense for that cow and MAKE A PROFIT. Lowline will have the same vaccine cost, equipment cost, vet cost, etc. This starts to put quite a burden on that calf making a profit. Selling PB cattle of any breed takes a lot of years invested in REPUTATION.

We have a herd of 12 of them, ranging from fullbloods, purebreds, to the moderators. I would never take one to the sale barn because you would not come out very well from it. We've sold some cattle to future breeders, and we just butchered our first one to sell and her halves went quick because people didn't want as much meat as the larger steer we butchered.

Lazy G Lowlines is the big contributor to the red bulls in the states with some more cropping up recently all over.

It is very frustrating that the breed association doesn't do EPD's, although I know some of the board members are pushing it, but there's a lot of back and forth. I get the genetic profiles done from Neogen on all my fullbloods to compare my herd.

We've started using a classic sized polled hereford and we just purchased a mini hereford to see what the cross comes out. The classic size had a really nice calf this year.

Some people have been upping the size on their herd to help cross sell into the commercial guys looking to moderate their herd frame quicker.

I do not push that they are more efficient at converting feed to beef, I state that we're not growing all that air under them. Also it's much easier for me to move, because our larger steer learned he could out power me quick. These little guys don't give me too much garbage when moving them or putting them in the chute. One does, but she's a mutt that ends up pregnant every time I go to cull.

People who have already committed to this breed will likely defend the pros listed on most websites in regards to their efficiency. I find it quite funny they omitted the truth.

Either way to each their own I just would hate to find that niche market of homesteaders looking for one or maybe two "mini" cattle.

Loading cattle buyers are looking for and selling the whole lot just seems so much more convenient when it comes time to sell.

They're an idea I kicked around a bit in the past. I've seen some that looked to be good cattle and some are raising them in decent numbers. They should work for grass fed or grain finished freezer beef operation. They're too small to fit well into normal market channels though with out beimg docked