American Aberdeen Angus/Lowline angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Stephanie

Reaction score
Who here breeds Aberdeen's? I've loved the few I've seen in person. Excited to get my first registered heifer next week. Will be AI'ing others soon.

Specifically red Aberdeen bulls...who does everyone like ?

I've got a customer that breeds lowlines. Claims to do pretty good, both selling breeding stock and beefs. Whole and halves. IDK.
Except he has a nice clean little place, and I don't believe him to be full of corn.

Ive come across many nay sayers for Lowlines. I'm surprised and then not surprised either. People don't like to be told that bigger isn't always better. 🤷‍♀️

I have a customer that bought 5 acres and wanted a few cows. I told her to check them out. She is loving them up to 10-15 now and breeding and showing. Very, very efficient cattle. She could run 10 more. I think them AI bred with Waygu would be the ultimate freezer beef direct market animal. Gonna try it one of these days. PM me if interested I could put you in touch with her. She had a couple of reds at one time. We are in VA not sure where you are.

American Aberdeen Angus - started in Australia - USA association home is in Colorado.
They are a niche breed with such a small following the association has not even updated it's
National Sale page since 2017.
You'll be hard pressed to find many with any experience with them, let alone red ones.

Stephanie said:
Who here breeds Aberdeen's? I've loved the few I've seen in person.
Excited to get my first registered heifer next week. Will be AI'ing others soon.

Very few Red Aberdeens to choose from and many are only 50% - 87.5% Aberdeen.
To build a breed I'd recommend sticking with full blood sires.
beggars can't be choosers.... Rudy looks as good as any of the few I found online.

https://universalsemensales.com/breeds/lowline/lazy-g-red-design-rudy

p.s.
Hope you'll update with pictures after you get your registered heifer.

They worked to have a show at the Eastern National Show in Springfield, MA. Their show was dropped this year due to lack of cattle entered last few years. Most shows, they would have to show as "Other Breeds".

Son of Butch said:
Stephanie said:
Excited to get my first registered heifer next week. Will be AI'ing others soon.

beggars can't be choosers.... Rudy looks as good as any of the few

p.s.

How ironic. That's exactly the bull I'll be buying straws from.

Son of Butch said:
Stephanie said:

beggars can't be choosers.... Rudy looks as good as any of the few I found online.

p.s.

I know most of the AAA breeders want black. I personally like the look of red better. Once I get my solid group of red registered ladies - I'll likely cross them on black ( red carriers).

SmokinM said:
I have a customer that bought 5 acres and wanted a few cows. I told her to check them out. She is loving them up to 10-15 now and breeding and showing. Very, very efficient cattle. She could run 10 more. I think them AI bred with Waygu would be the ultimate freezer beef direct market animal. Gonna try it one of these days. PM me if interested I could put you in touch with her. She had a couple of reds at one time. We are in VA not sure where you are.
I couldn't run 25 goats on 5 acres. Must have phenomenal grass

Not an Aberdeen/lowline but a Red Angus frame moderating bull like Bieber Commissioner
reg # 1694317 available for $20 from Origen or your ABS rep. might be something to consider as
outcross bloodline to achieve what you want to do.

Do they have any value at the sale barn/beef buyers? Or are they like zebu cattle mostly for pets/showing?

Angus86 said:
Do they have any value at the sale barn/beef buyers?
Or are they like zebu cattle mostly for pets/showing?
Any breed outside of the order buyer 'norm' gets docked at the sale barn.
Lowlines are docked at the sale barns, but have good carcasses and IF you have the niche market
ie: finished light weight freezer beef carcasses can be profitable. Unless taken to the extreme of
minis. Mini's are the pet/show rage for women and children.
The mini/pet market is based on finding a bigger sucker than you.

My understanding is that the Lowlines originated from a herd of Angus from the Trangie Research Station in central west of New South Wales Australia. The herd became a closed herd and research was carried out on the efficiency of the smaller framed animals compared to the larger framed animals hence the name of the different groups being Highline and Lowline. The trial went for some time but when it finished the cattle were sold and purchasers started the Lowline association.

It's hard to find a bigger sucker then me. So I guess I'll stick with the full sized angus I have. Thanks for the input :tiphat:

Son of Butch said:
Not an Aberdeen/lowline but a Red Angus frame moderating bull like Bieber Commissioner
reg # 1694317 available for $20 from Origen or your ABS rep. might be something to consider as
outcross bloodline to achieve what you want to do.

Only interested in Aberdeen's. At this point, red angus defeats my point.

Angus86 said:
Do they have any value at the sale barn/beef buyers? Or are they like zebu cattle mostly for pets/showing?

Yeah no. Low birth weight, efficient grass finishers. Great marbling, ribeye size per weight, carcass weight in 70s.

Definitely not pets lol

wbvs58 said:
My understanding is that the Lowlines originated from a herd of Angus from the Trangie Research Station in central west of New South Wales Australia. The herd became a closed herd and research was carried out on the efficiency of the smaller framed animals compared to the larger framed animals hence the name of the different groups being Highline and Lowline. The trial went for some time but when it finished the cattle were sold and purchasers started the Lowline association.

I'm surprised they are looked down as much as they are here.

Latest posts