America, as seen through the eyes of an immigrant

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme":16jt8ydq said:
Cross-7":16jt8ydq said:
Margonme":16jt8ydq said:
Cross, Jo, Fence:

Here is what you guys are too young to understand:

I am 66. Mother and Father came from big families. I had tons of Uncles. In the 1950s and into the 1960s, a man with a 6th grade education if he had a head on his shoulders could get a great factory job. Had several Uncles who worked for Interlake Steel in Newport, KY. One Uncle became superintendent of Vulcan Copper in Cincinnati.

You guys are talking about pecking shyt with the chickens type jobs. In the 50s and 60s, we was meat eaters not shyt eaters. Those times are gone. When I was a kid if you were half smart and reliable there were factory jobs that you made an excellent living at. That was true in the entire Midwest. The US made things. Now we buy things. So all we can do is mow yards, haul junk to market and build fence. Honorable work true, but we deserve better. Our leaders have been, in the words of TexasBred, sitting around in a circle jerk. Lol.

We need a President that can put America back to work. Lol

We are a nation of consumers.
We have become lazy, wasteful, and spoiled.
When we no longer have to the ability to print our living(American dollar) it's going to get ugly.

You got that exactly RIGHT

The government agencies and special interest groups ran the industry and jobs out of our country.
How many jobs do you figure you chased away or ruined during you time with the government Ron?

hurleyjd":ifrklcpk said:
Let us say that I wanted to immigrate to Canada what process does an American have to go through to become a Canadian. Not doing it just asking.
It will give you a leg up if you're a bleeding heart liberal. Looks like you're in !!!!!!!

Margonme":3g6fa8sx said:
Cross, Jo, Fence:

I am 66. Mother and Father came from big families. I had tons of Uncles. In the 1950s and into the 1960s, a man with a 6th grade education if he had a head on his shoulders could get a great factory job. Had several Uncles who worked for Interlake Steel in Newport, KY. One Uncle became superintendent of Vulcan Copper in Cincinnati.

You guys are talking about pecking shyt with the chickens type jobs. In the 50s and 60s, we was meat eaters not shyt eaters. Those times are gone. When I was a kid if you were half smart and reliable there were factory jobs that you made an excellent living at. That was true in the entire Midwest. The US made things. Now we buy things. So all we can do is mow yards, haul junk to market and build fence. Honorable work true, but we deserve better. Our leaders have been, in the words of TexasBred, sitting around in a circle jerk. Lol.

I'll tell you what marg. Maybe I'm different but I would much rather build fence or cut grass and be my own man if you will. Than be chained to a bench in a factory or in a cubical like a chicken.
To me that's were America has lost its way.
People who think that they are above doing there own work have become incapable of doing their own work.
When they can't find a easy enough job that pays enough for them to pay someone to do the chicken shyt work. Well they bawl like the cattle cross mentioned. So yes the jobs go to the people willing to do them. Americans have to learn to work again and to teach their children to work.
It's won't be easy.....but you know...you gotta break a egg....

zirlottkim":37dbbc1l said:
Opportunity is definitely in decline in our country. Inflation of the money supply, over regulation, welfare and the U.S. policing the world have caused this decline....in my opinion. With that said, there is still a lot of opportunity for individuals and families to make a better lives for themselves. A little sacrifice can go a long way. A lot of sacrifice can make people wealthy over time.

I could add 50 items to your list that have increased the cost of production and creating the incentive to manufacture and perform custom industrial work elsewhere.

Regardless of remaining opportunities, IMO and based on fundamental economics, a country creates wealth by converting raw materials and labor into a product of higher value. It is rudimentary my deal fellow, we don't do that much here.

The US simply has the clout to continue to market treasuries to other countries on the promise it will pay it back with interest. That explains the inflation of the money supply and the value of the dollar.

callmefence":2uw8t4uu said:
Margonme":2uw8t4uu said:
Cross, Jo, Fence:

I'll tell you what marg. Maybe I'm different but I would much rather build fence or cut grass and be my own man if you will. Than be chained to a bench in a factory or in a cubical like a chicken.
People who think that they are above doing there own work have become incapable of doing their own work.
When they can't find a easy enough job that pays enough for them to pay someone to do the chicken shyt work. Well they bawl like the cattle cross mentioned. So yes the jobs go to the people willing to do them. Americans have to learn to work again and to teach their children to work.

I appreciate your lifestyle desires. My point is this:

There can only be so many fence contractors. We have about 4 that work this region. There can be only so many little private contractors that mow yards. The populace needs factory and manufacturing jobs.

I am sorry, I respect men like you. Our local fence contractor is much like you. I consider him a great friend.

True Grit Farms":11c8mn8f said:
Margonme":11c8mn8f said:
Cross-7":11c8mn8f said:
We are a nation of consumers.
We have become lazy, wasteful, and spoiled.
When we no longer have to the ability to print our living(American dollar) it's going to get ugly.

You got that exactly RIGHT

The government agencies and special interest groups ran the industry and jobs out of our country.
How many jobs do you figure you chased away or ruined during you time with the government Ron?

The regulatory climate is a factor. I concede that. There is only one way to establish a balance, trade deals must reward those companies that stay at home and endure the high cost of production.

My wife and I arrived – as refugees -- to the U.S. around the time when our illustrious President was offering a free lecture to the nation on the intricacies of English grammar, including definition of a certain very short verb. Late 90ies was indeed a very special time…
Our combined English vocabulary consisted of less words than fingers on one hand; the value of diplomas transitioned into mere decorative function on a wall. I was moving lawns, delivering pizza, building air conditioners…everything and anything anyone could offer while learning, re-learning, and learning again. Kids came along, of course. For the first few years our diet was centered on potatoes, cheap hot-dogs, immense variety and combination of pasta – one has to be inventive when needed. Hard to imagine, but at times we managed live on $100-150 for food in a month and never go hungry. Not that we complained…we're happy to be here and could not wrap our heads around the idea that locals are seriously talking about the lack of opportunity and "hardship" that they endure. If you're born in the USA, you do not quite understand the meaning of hardship, my friend. You're just plainly lazy

You guys are talking about pecking shyt with the chickens type jobs.
It took less than one page for the discussion to turn from what the immigrant said to try to find someone, everyone, anyone to blame conditions on. New folks can make--and do. Why can't 'born-in-Americans'?
We want, expect and demand too much based on what previous generations encountered, much like trying to raise 2016 cattle as if 2014 conditions still existed. There are lots of jobs..just not what us 'entitled' Americans are willing to do. That old boy that comes around and pumps my wastewater treatment plant sludge out every other year is getting rich while the younguns in every house he goes to says "I ain't doin that kinda shyt..I want a good job".

greybeard":za3mnj5j said:
My wife and I arrived – as refugees -- to the U.S. around the time when our illustrious President was offering a free lecture to the nation on the intricacies of English grammar, including definition of a certain very short verb. Late 90ies was indeed a very special time…
Our combined English vocabulary consisted of less words than fingers on one hand; the value of diplomas transitioned into mere decorative function on a wall. I was moving lawns, delivering pizza, building air conditioners…everything and anything anyone could offer while learning, re-learning, and learning again. Kids came along, of course. For the first few years our diet was centered on potatoes, cheap hot-dogs, immense variety and combination of pasta – one has to be inventive when needed. Hard to imagine, but at times we managed live on $100-150 for food in a month and never go hungry. Not that we complained…we're happy to be here and could not wrap our heads around the idea that locals are seriously talking about the lack of opportunity and "hardship" that they endure. If you're born in the USA, you do not quite understand the meaning of hardship, my friend. You're just plainly lazy

You guys are talking about pecking shyt with the chickens type jobs.
It took less than one page for the discussion to turn from what the immigrant said to try to find someone, everyone, anyone to blame conditions on. New folks can make--and do. Why can't 'born-in-Americans'?
We want, expect and demand too much based on what previous generations encountered, much like trying to raise 2016 cattle as if 2014 conditions still existed. There are lots of jobs..just not what us 'entitled' Americans are willing to do. That old boy that comes around and pumps my wastewater treatment plant sludge out every other year is getting rich while the younguns in every house he goes to says "I ain't doin that kinda shyt..I want a good job".
Yep, same as trash service. Nobody wants to do it but in a small town they cover 1000 houses @ $25 a month. That ain't chump change and still have time to kick a few cows around. Opportunity is still available for those that can, want to, and will work.

greybeard":fahnjmrs said:
Well Ranchman, gawd forbid they be collecting that garbage in a 1990 truck that shouldn't even be on the road....
Haha my main ride is a 1996, I've only put 20,000 miles on it in the last 4 months hauling cattle. Better take it to the junkyard lol

RanchMan90":39x6ntl9 said:
greybeard":39x6ntl9 said:
Well Ranchman, gawd forbid they be collecting that garbage in a 1990 truck that shouldn't even be on the road....
Haha my main ride is a 1996, I've only put 20,000 miles on it in the last 4 months hauling cattle. Better take it to the junkyard lol

The two guys who pick up rural garbage here drive a pickup truck that may go back to the 1980s. They made a cage out of cattle panels and installed it in the bed of the pickup. I have pulled up behind them loading garbage. There is no opening. They throw the garbage bags up and into the cage like shooting basketballs through a hoop. These two guys are not young. At least in their 60s.

I don't ask when I drive to town to get day workers. Can't get high school kids or people that are down on their luck to show up, so I tell them what I pay and how many I need and never have a problem loading them.

Margonme":192adgj5 said:
callmefence":192adgj5 said:
Margonme":192adgj5 said:
Cross, Jo, Fence:

There can only be so many fence contractors. We have about 4 that work this region. There can be only so many little private contractors that mow yards. The populace needs factory and manufacturing jobs.

I am sorry, I respect men like you. Our local fence contractor is much like you. I consider him a great friend.

Your right we need those jobs. I need those customers. All we have to do is give them the freedom to to THEIR business. To much government regulations, union demands, minimum wages ,overtime and holiday regulations, unemployment and workers compensation liabilities...the list is endless.
Why would anyone want to run a business they have no control over. Controlled by the government and the employees, that's insane.

With out regulations some will take advantage of employees, they will get the bottom of the barrel and struggle.
Some will take care of employees. They will get the cream and prosper. Eventually a happy medium is found naturally.........it took awhile and was messy , but the omelet was good.

callmefence":35anmos7 said:
Margonme":35anmos7 said:
callmefence":35anmos7 said:

Your right we need those jobs. I need those customers. All we have to do is give them the freedom to to THEIR business. To much government regulations, union demands, minimum wages ,overtime and holiday regulations, unemployment and workers compensation liabilities...the list is endless.
Why would anyone want to run a business they have no control over. Controlled by the government and the employees, that's insane.

With out regulations some will take advantage of employees, they will get the bottom of the barrel and struggle.
Some will take care of employees. They will get the cream and prosper. Eventually a happy medium is found naturally.........it took awhile and was messy , but the omelet was good.

Excellent post.

Latest posts