AMD Turion 64--Its not a bull....

Help Support CattleToday:

CowCop

Reaction score
~

I recently got a Gateway pc with a AMD Turion64x2

What are the advantages/disadvantages between the AMD and a Intel Pentium ?

Anyone got one ?

Thanks

I'm by far not a computer guru!!
But is memory serves, when we were looking for a computer we went with a P4 because AMD runs hotter.
Recently my husband bought me a laptop and it's AMD and it definitely runs hotter than the P4.
Mind you i've souped up the P4 alot and it runs even cooler. So i don't remember how much hotter it got. (hotter means louder 'cause the fans speed up more to cool it down.
Not much you can do to a laptop to cool it down.
But then again i could be in so left field that i don;t know up from down.

For the past ~5 years or so the difference has been that Intel processors are more energy efficient and run cooler than AMD processors, but are also more expensive. This has changed a bit now that AMD has caught enough of the market share where they are both competing on price.

Depending on the exact processor and what you do with the system (gaming, rendering, etc), one brand might perform better. Unless you are doing something that is CPU-intensive on a regular basis, you will never notice any real difference between the two brands.

So, IN GENERAL:
AMD: hotter, cheaper, uses a bit more energy
Intel: cooler, more expensive (often 10%+), uses a bit less energy

Thank you for the replys.

An other information ?

AMD Seems slower as well.

Slower may depend on what you have running in the background. Like Norton. A real energy hog with little gains in return.
It also depends on your processor speed and memory. Just because it is a P4 doesn't necessarily mean it's faster. when i say processor speed i mean 1.4 vs 3.0 Ghz processor etc.
The warmer the system the slower it will run.
A word of advice...keep a can of air on hand. Open the side cover and blow out the fans and the dust from the board etc regularly. do this while the system is off. It will extend the life of your system and prevent over heating. If you are looking for alot of advice go to the 'tech spot' forum. Good place to learn.

CowCop":duvoumgi said:
Thank you for the replys.

An other information ?

AMD Seems slower as well.

Processors can only really be compared when hooked up to machines designed only to test processors (vs a computer). If a system with an AMD (or Intel) processor "seems" slower then it is due to either a hardware/software problem or more likely, because the other compoenents in the computer are slowing it down.

Judging a computer by the speed of its processor is like jusging an auto by the horsepower. Sure, it gives a general idea, but the actual speed it will run at is determined by other factors. The same applies to computers. The other factors are:

* Amount of memory
* Speed of memory
* Architecture of various components
* Graphics card speeds
* Hard drive speed/data rate

To give you an idea, I just ordered to components for a new computer. I am keeping the processor from my 3-4 year old system. I am increasing the amount of memory I have by only 25%, but getting much faster memory. My new hard drive is only about twice as big as my existing one, but significantly faster. In my old system it was the other components that were the bottleneck for overall speed. With the upgraded components it is probably the processor that is the bottleneck (but not by that much).

Most people look at the raw numbers (processor speed mostly) when purchasing a computer. Because of this companies put in faster processors but skimp on other components. I guarentee that any custom built computer will run at LEAST 10-15% faster than a similarly speced OEM computer. Another reason why you might be noticing it being slower is that your new computer probably runs Windows Vista instead of XP, which is far, far slower because it demands many more system resources.

And I agree with rockridgecattle, clean it out at least once per year. Newer computers have far more fans and are far more dependant on cooling to function. This is why you used to be able to put a computer on a factory floor for 5 years and never have a problem. Now days you can expect regular failure in that environment.

Well that was a bit longer than I planned.

cowboyup216":32eiughd said:
Contrary to what was stated before my son who is a computer technician and designs websites for a living said that the amd running hotter than intel is hogwash and it will out perform intel on any benchmark test out there.

Exactly. AMD runs hot, but acknowledges this and has designed the cooling systems to handle it. Intel, however, boasts as being cooler and smoother running than AMD, but I have worked on a lot of laptops that are complete junk...all due to Intel overheating. Toshiba and HP laptops are especially bad for this. Some of it is case design flaws by the manufacturer. Also, I should add..and this is the major thing....AMD can run hotter, it is designed to. Intel chips will start having major problems in the 80 degree celsius range, while AMD can exceed this with no problems up to a temperature of about 100 degrees celsius. Not all chips are created equal.

cowboyup216":2le3gav1 said:
... and 4 gigabytes of Corsair Value Select memory I have an AWESOME machine. Shortly I will be getting one of these and adding 2 7950 gt cards in sli mode

Why the low quality/speed memory?

Latest posts