Amazing!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I've had to travel more than normal this year so I've spent some time in various airports and was pleased to see how green these airports say they have become. Recently in Atlanta I tossed my gum wrapper in the waste can only to hear an electric motor crank up and begin recyling my paper. I read in amazement how this trash can was environmentally friendly and would sort the type of waste so everything would be properly recycled. Since my flight was delayed for three hours I spent my time tossing bits of trash in the can knowing that within minutes the electric motor would properly sort the trash thus reducing my footprint. After the first hour I became so pleased with greenness that I began craving some smoked paprika humus and whole wheat crackers but I couldn't find any and settled for a whopper and some fries. I only wish I could have taken the lid off the can cause I'm really curious how it sorted the fries. Anyone else seen these things?

No, that's a new one on me Jo. I do however HATE that so many places have done away with paper towels in the restrooms in the name of green. Has anybody ever gotten their hands dry on one of those friggin dryers? :roll:

Your avatar might say "you ask too many questions". It is green, don't ask why. I'm really glad a place (ATL) which dispenses jet fuel by the ton has "green" lounges

farmwriter":x4b59vdm said:
No, that's a new one on me Jo. I do however HATE that so many places have done away with paper towels in the restrooms in the name of green. Has anybody ever gotten their hands dry on one of those friggin dryers? :roll:
I just steal some swipe from one of the stalls and use that

farmwriter":2glxlgtz said:

No problem there. The order of nastiness in the hand washing sequence is this 1. the handles on the water, every hand that touches those is dirty. 2. if by some miracle you get past the water handle issue, the next thing is the door handle, what makes it less nasty than the water handles is that probably 75% of the people that have touched it have washed their hands. I think that bathroom police should stand outside the door and shoot anybody that doesn't wash their hands so that they don't pollute the gene pool.

Larry

Larry I think you'd be well pleased with Atlanta as they have no doors on the bathrooms and they use sensors to dispense water in the sinks. I doubt this was an effort to go green but suspect it was an attempt at cleanliness given the number of people wearing burkas and the like.

farmwriter":g4zi3x3g said:
yes,,,,, eventually

alacattleman":2i9aymqz said:
farmwriter":2i9aymqz said:
yes,,,,, eventually
My husband said he actually saw one where some one had scratched on the final step in those instructions: Wipe hands on pants.
The eventually thing is the truth I guess, but if we all stood there to run that thing 3 or 4 times, hasn't that used enough electricity to make paper towels a greener option?
larryshoat":2i9aymqz said:
farmwriter":2i9aymqz said:
Has anybody ever gotten their hands dry on one of those friggin dryers? :roll:

No problem there. The order of nastiness in the hand washing sequence is this 1. the handles on the water, every hand that touches those is dirty. 2. if by some miracle you get past the water handle issue, the next thing is the door handle, what makes it less nasty than the water handles is that probably 75% of the people that have touched it have washed their hands. I think that bathroom police should stand outside the door and shoot anybody that doesn't wash their hands so that they don't pollute the gene pool.

Larry
I like the way you think! ;-)

farmwriter":2br6ajui said:
hasn't that used enough electricity to make paper towels a greener option?

That was kinda my thinking with the electric trash can. I can't help but wonder how we can overlook the cost of electricity of course I'm don't know how many pounds of coal it takes to charge an electric car so maybe my ignorance is keeping me from seeing the big picture.

If it's any consolation Jo, I'm wondering the same thing about just how green that trash can is if it is electric. At some point something has to be burned in order to provide the electricity.

lavacarancher":1ss1vl11 said:
At some point something has to be burned in order to provide the electricity.

Could have been a rat on a wheel turning a generator.?

There is a factory in Little Rock producing the blades for windmills. They are shipping them through here on trucks two at a time and appear to be 70 or eighty feet long. There has been a constant supply heading east every day for the last year or so (seems like at least one every thirty minutes) and I don't know how many are headed west. There is also a coal train that comes through here on a regular basis headed the opposite direction. I am curious to see how long it is until the coal train starts getting shorter. It may not happen in my lifetime, but with all the windmills, it may be sooner than I think.

upfrombottom":3aybte6k said:
Could have been a rat on a wheel turning a generator.?

Could well have been but I couldn't figure out how to open the thing to find out. I really was interested in seeing how the thing worked.

I like the idea of windmills but with a rising world population and rising demand for fixed resources I seriously doubt that coal train will get any shorter. I think it will take many various forms of energy to supply the growing demand. Patting oneself on the back for being green when and if green consists only of something like this trash can is - I think - hypocritical. On the other hand, Delta showed what being green was all about when they held up our plane for three hours cause we had a few too many empty seats. :tiphat: :lol2:

Jogeephus":3luiumho said:
Larry I think you'd be well pleased with Atlanta as they have no doors on the bathrooms and they use sensors to dispense water in the sinks. I doubt this was an effort to go green but suspect it was an attempt at cleanliness given the number of people wearing burkas and the like.

Yeah I like those, I don't have to touch anything.

Larry

Latest posts