Amazing Gift

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Blown away by the generosity of one of our neighbors who gave us the original deed to a portion of our ranch (160 acres) that had previously been in his family for generations - signed by President Ulyssis S. Grant in "the year of our Lord, one thousand eight hundred seventy-three". Definitely having it framed.

That is nice. I found it interesting that it's dated not only 1873AD, but also referencing the 98th year of the Independence of the United States. I've never seen that before (not that I'm any kind of authority).

Just out of curiosity does the deed refer to a change of money or is this for services. The reason I ask is I have a deed to our property which was payment for services during the French and Indian war. The notary seal on this paper is made of wood I've never seen that before.

There is no telling what you're doing is worth with Grant's signature.

That is awesome. 100 acres of my place was a grant to my great great great grandfather for fighting in the revolution. It was virginia then (Ky now). This was about as far west as you could go, and still be on US soil. He heard the land was clear here. I guess he was misinformed. Samuel Davis (father of Jefferson Davis came a little later, and settled near him. I think he got 200, he must have been higher ranking. Anyway, the original deed is on what I believe to be sheep skin.

Jogeephus":2k6e0bfq said:
Just out of curiosity does the deed refer to a change of money or is this for services. The reason I ask is I have a deed to our property which was payment for services during the French and Indian war. The notary seal on this paper is made of wood I've never seen that before.

I hate to burst any bubbles, but I'm pretty sure the actual signature is by his secretary, since it says "by Secretary" with a signature right below Grant's name; and while I'm not a handwriting expert those two signatures look very similar to me.

Rafter S":zdmpbi69 said:
Jogeephus":zdmpbi69 said:

I hate to burst any bubbles, but I'm pretty sure the actual signature is by his secretary, since it says "by Secretary" with a signature right below Grant's name; and while I'm not a handwriting expert those two signatures look very similar to me.

Party pooper!

Jogeephus":1pc939a3 said:

It just says "full payment has been made". While I'm assuming it monetary it doesn't specify or include the amount. The seal on this deed is wax

That truly is an amazing gift! Very interesting. That is something to really treasure and pass on to future generations.

Rafter S":lmxpx0xd said:
Jogeephus":lmxpx0xd said:
Whether he signed it personally or not its still a dang fine piece of history.

I wholeheartedly agree.

But Rafter, you did bring up a good point. I didn't pay much attention because the signatures were different from the handwriting in the body so I spent quality time on Google. Amazingly, there are a number of posts about whether someone is in possession of a deed with Grant's actual signature; while some of them swear it's the real deal the majority do believe it's by the Secretary. Regardless, I'm still touched that our neighbor would relinquish something he truly believes is authentic.

You can view Grant's signature in images if you Google. He uses a long tail on his T which runs uniquely under the whole signature. HIs or not, still cool stuff there and something definitely worth having framed.

Jogeephus":10n7whhn said:
You can view Grant's signature in images if you Google. He uses a long tail on his T which runs uniquely under the whole signature. HIs or not, still cool stuff there and something definitely worth having framed.
http://www.raabcollection.com/blog/auth ... s-machines

After Prez Jackson almost all presidents made use of secretarial signatures.

Another of the telling signs of Grant's actual signature is the capital "S" in U S Grant or Ulysses "S" Grant.
It looks more like a capital A without the horizontal cross or like an inverted but tilted V or pointed U. The right side rarely ever came back down and connected to the left vertical stroke.
800px-Ulysses_S._Grant_memoirs_signature.jpg

http://www.presidentialsignatures.com/u ... nature.htm

But a great piece of history none the less, especially considering it is a deed for family land.

I remember seeing on Pawn Stars a few years back that they have a special machine that will copy a person's signature and then repeat it. I have no idea how it works, they didn't really explain it, and I can't remember what it's called. Anyway, they've been around for a longer time than what I'd thought. Surprisingly, a lot of presidential stuff has it. I just remember seeing a document from a president from way back and they said it was from this machine.

Good luck figuring out what you have. It's a wicked cool piece of history no matter.

Latest posts