Amazing Gift

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest":1x0msn1q said:
I remember seeing on Pawn Stars a few years back that they have a special machine that will copy a person's signature and then repeat it. I have no idea how it works, they didn't really explain it, and I can't remember what it's called. Anyway, they've been around for a longer time than what I'd thought. Surprisingly, a lot of presidential stuff has it. I just remember seeing a document from a president from way back and they said it was from this machine.

Good luck figuring out what you have. It's a wicked cool piece of history no matter.

auto pen

Sorry for the delayed response - too much cow drama the last couple days. Anyway, clearly the sig isn't the same but I will never tell my neighbor that and it's still a really great piece of history for our ranch - and will proceed with having it framed. The owner of the initial acreage we purchased provided the abstracts dating back to the late 1800's - hopefully they're authentic :)

Just because it is signed by his secretary doesn't make it unauthentic. Chances are it is indeed the real and original deed most minor but official documents are signed in such a way. My business liscence is signed that way every year. It's awesome he gave it to you and you have such a great piece of history for your land. Be proud of all of it.

Check with your local university's history department. There may be someone there that can give you a lot more information, and if not they might be able to point you in the right direction. Heck, there may even be some sort of local history buff that could get you started.

Maybe I'm a nerd, but I think this stuff is so cool.

Bestoutwest":i6lcvcgc said:
Check with your local university's history department. There may be someone there that can give you a lot more information, and if not they might be able to point you in the right direction. Heck, there may even be some sort of local history buff that could get you started.

That's a good idea. We've been told that the Dalton Gang hid out in one of the old hay barns (which is still standing) & there is an Indian burial in the bottom ground but I have never verified if they're legends or fact.

what a great gift.
When you get it framed, be sure that the person doing it knows how to frame for archival quality so that it does not get ruined. (yes, I watch a lot of the antiques roadshow).

TCRanch":saqr6hcu said:
Sorry for the delayed response - too much cow drama the last couple days. Anyway, clearly the sig isn't the same but I will never tell my neighbor that and it's still a really great piece of history for our ranch - and will proceed with having it framed. The owner of the initial acreage we purchased provided the abstracts dating back to the late 1800's - hopefully they're authentic :)
Abstracts. If you ever get time go back to the beginning and start reading those. Can be some awesome history there. I've read quite a few over the years that go all the way back to settlers and mexican land grants.

Dogs and Cows":3g2ykv9s said:
TCRanch":3g2ykv9s said:
Bestoutwest":3g2ykv9s said:

That's a good idea. We've been told that the Dalton Gang hid out in one of the old hay barns (which is still standing) & there is an Indian burial in the bottom ground but I have never verified if they're legends or fact.

Hey TCRanch...this is very cool! You are so lucky to have neighbors like that. I just noticed you are from Winfield, KS...my grampa and grandma lived there and are buried there. I have not been since I was a little boy. I need to get out there to visit their graves soon. My Dad and I have been thinking of a trip. Anyway, very cool you have this documentation!!

Tim

Wow, small world! It's a wonderful community; I wouldn't go back to living in a big city for anything. Give me a head's up if you do come out.

Latest posts