Amazing birds

Help Support CattleToday:

Found where something had caught and eaten a barred owl in the back pasture.
I thought he was an apex predator around here. Never seen one spend anytime on the ground. Kinda of puzzling what got him. In all my years the only owl deaths I have seen are auto or gunshot inflicted.

Caustic Burno said:
Found where something had caught and eaten a barred owl in the back pasture.
I thought he was an apex predator around here. Never seen one spend anytime on the ground. Kinda of puzzling what got him. In all my years the only owl deaths I have seen are auto or gunshot inflicted.

That's interesting. Do you think it was another bird or an animal. I've seen fly down on the ground and sit. Either trying to catch something or killing it. A bobcat might have been close by and got him. But I know you would know what that would look like.

I have thought bobcat got a two for one. It crossed my mind that they were both hunting the same game. The thing that's really strange is the owl was at the base of a big Red Oak eaten feathers scattered everywhere.
I couldn't determine if it met its demise in the tree or on the ground.

Lovely birds. The variety is fascinating.

These guys are my favorites. They show up in the mornings and join the herd. It's easy to imagine them introducing themselves to individual cows..."Good morning, I am Raul, and I will be your egret for the day". The cattle sigh when the birds show up, and then, there is much less head flinging to chase off insects.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Cattle_Egret/overview

Caustic Burno said:
I have thought bobcat got a two for one. It crossed my mind that they were both hunting the same game. The thing that's really strange is the owl was at the base of a big Red Oak eaten feathers scattered everywhere.
I couldn't determine if it met its demise in the tree or on the ground.

Strange, have yet to see anything eat an owl, here that is.

Latest posts